AK Maintenance & Darkside Conversion

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
I've seriously considered darksiding but last year I couldn't find a tire, and inquiring around no one wants to touch installing it. I even tried to tell them it was for a custom motorcycle trailer...

OP
OP
Willsmotorcycle

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
I've seriously considered darksiding but last year I couldn't find a tire, and inquiring around no one wants to touch installing it. I even tried to tell them it was for a custom motorcycle trailer...
There is a FortNine video where he puts one on with zip ties, had I thought about it I may have done it that way.

I saw you asked about this in another thread and didn't get an answer, here's a noobs thoughts:

First impressions, LOL, yes I laughed for the first few hundred yards saying there's a car tire on my bike. Went about a mile, got gas, another two miles to the interstate. I usually tell my self when I start out, " cold tires, wet roads", today was "car tire, car tire, car tire". Got on the interstate and could fell the rear wanting to stay put, changed lanes a few time just to do it. About 10 miles in there was a clover leaf so I took it, by turn 3 it was "normal". I have the Heli bars so input is easy, but I had to hold the lean as others have described. I don't think I'll be scraping the pegs but a 20 degree lean was not a thing. It is smooth and predictable (read as wants to go straight), not really a concern. It will do the job I need and then go back to a MC tire.

Happy Rob

Rob
Bike
2004 ST 1300
STOC #
I have been using a car tire on rear for 2 years now. Knock wood.. No issues. I don't even think about it anymore. It is wearing great. 32 lbs of air. I am nervous about towing my trailer for first time but I would be nervous doing that if there was a regular motorcycle tire on back.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
by turn 3 it was "normal"
What tire pressure are you using? spiderman302 is a long time darksider and recommends (IIRC) 26psi for the rear tire. That may vary a bit depending on tire and riding style – I have no experience or dog on the bike. One thing I will say is that I really like the look of a car tire on a bike.

OP
OP
Willsmotorcycle

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
What tire pressure are you using? spiderman302 is a long time darksider and recommends (IIRC) 26psi for the rear tire. That may vary a bit depending on tire and riding style – I have no experience or dog on the bike. One thing I will say is that I really like the look of a car tire on a bike.
Im starting at 30 psi and have the tpms so I’ll see what it’s like lower as time goes on. Yes it looks cool on there.

Bike
05 ST1300
I’ve ridden Dark on the rear for most of my ST’s life (I’m on my 4th). I’ll never go back. Currently a Pirelli P7. Pressure is 30 psi. Tried dark on the front and at the time the only tire I could get was a bias rear from a Yamaha ( I forget the size), didn’t like it, it was awful in the rain.

OP
OP
Willsmotorcycle

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
Some observations of a noob: It feels like a bowling ball on roller skates when pulling up to a gas pump or other low speed maneuvers. I haven’t quite gotten use to that yet, I’m clumsy with it.
Hard acceleration or braking it’s rock solid, it feels planted and you know it. Leaned over in a sweeper you don’t know it’s there. Going down the highway it’s “normal”. It does take a little longer to do a quick move like pulling out to pass and such, not slow like I’m worried, but I do feel the lack of nimbleness.
Some unexpected bonuses include confidence on gravel or dirt roads, not that I’m going fast mind you, it just muscles through. Parking in dirt or sand is not a problem either. As I currently have the bike loaded like the Beverly Hillbillies, the footprint is appreciated.
I have not had the opportunity for tight twisties yet, nor do I anticipate being aggressive with it loaded, I will try it somewhere along the way.
All in all it’s working as intended. I’m sure I’ll switch back when I return as I love the way she use to handle and just like it with a car tire.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I wonder if raising the rear suspension would reduce the required extra effort.
It's the way the profile of a CT changes the fork trail when leaned that causes the need to hold the bike in the turn. Changing the ride height of the rear suspension doesn't affect the trail change caused by the asymmetric profile.

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
I can't help it. Every time I see the title to this thread I keep thinking someone talking about going darkside on a AK 550, like mine. That should be easy enough to do with a 15 inch rear wheel. :cool: :thumb:
I have to stop myself to remember that it's about prep for an Alaska trip. ;)

Top Bottom