Alaska 2023

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
am aware of that, but I want to stop by Hyder to see the Salmon Glacier again, so that would 'legally' eliminate me.
Would it? I am thinking that you enter Canada from the "main" part of Alaska. Take less than 5days to get to Stewart. Leave Canada for Hyder so you are back in US. Come back into Canada at Stewart and then you have 5 another 5 days to get to continental US. Should be doable. Of course like all things related to the border crossing, it depends on the actual person you talk to at the border each time by the written regulations, you are taking less than 5 days to transit Canada to get to Alaska or continental US.

As for the ferry from Bellingham to Alaska...not sure what 2021 will be like but reservations are needed quite a ways out. May not be as long for a bike but for a 4 wheeled vehicle, it was more than 6 months last year.

OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Would it?
One problem would be coming from Hyder back into Stewart - there's no US customs, but there is Canadian customs.
Plus I want to ride from Haines Junction to Haines to catch the ferry to Bellingham there which would mean re-entering Canada to get to Haines.
I could probably pull it off but the chance of a big hassle somewhere along the way and possible serious financial loss sort of takes the joy of it. ;)

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
there's no US customs, but there is Canadian customs.
When I was there a couple of years ago, the Canadian side acted for the US as well. At least according to the border services people at the Canadian side. When I was talking to them, I asked how come no US customs and they said they did it for them when required.:shrug2:
So...get your passport stamped coming back into Stewart and you have 5 days to get back into US.
But you are correct in that it would not be worth the risk if you met up with the wrong person at the border.

OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
But you are correct in that it would not be worth the risk if you met up with the wrong person at the border.
And that's the problem in my mind - you are at the mercy of a 'border person' and what they want to do on that day.
I learned in the USMC there would always be one person with more authority than you and their only job was to give you a hassle. :biggrin:

TPadden

Tom Padden
And that's the problem in my mind ...I learned in the USMC there would always be one person with more authority than you and their only job was to give you a hassle. :biggrin:
Improvise, Adapt and Overcome

You've already violated at least 2 things I learned: We don't plan, we improvise, and the one thing I learned from the Navy (Admiral Grace Hopper a pioneer of computer programming): "It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission".

She was also quoted in an interview on 60 Minutes (24 August 1986): I handed my passport to the immigration officer, and he looked at it and looked at me and said, "What are you?"

Semper Gumby,
Tom

OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Tom - You forget - you were an officer - (see above post about 'give you a hassle') and I was a enlisted feller.
Officers went through additional training to learn how to hassle enlisted folks. ;)
We were not allowed to think or plan - above our rank ... :biggrin:
I am very familiar with 'Amazing' Grace - she coined the term 'computer bug' when she found a moth stuck in one of the early system's relays causing a malfunction. She was also the main originator of the COBOL language - Common Business Oriented Language - which was 'near' English in syntax. I help convert IBM 1401s (USMC had a bunch of them) from Autocoder to the later IBM 360s Cobol.

Last edited:

amorley

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 BMW K1600GTS
2024 Miles
SPOT
LINK
Assuming on your return, you come back into Alaska at the Beaver Creek Crossing, the CBP will give you an itinerary to the Lower 48. The CBP website mainly discusses travelling north to Alaska and lists the following entry points.
  1. Abbotsford-Huntingdon (British Columbia)
  2. Coutts (Alberta)
  3. Kingsgate (British Columbia)
  4. North Portal (Saskatchewan)
  5. Osoyoos (British Columbia)
So I think it is safe to assume that if you were travelling south from Beaver Creek, YT, you would be given just enough time to reach one of these southern border posts. I VERY much doubt you would be permitted to visit Hyder. Coming back into Canada I believe you would be in serious trouble with the Canadian Border officer. The penalties for breaking the current border restrictions is rather onerous!

"Failure to comply with the current border restrictions is an offence under the Quarantine Act and could lead to up to $750,000 in fines, and/or imprisonment of up to 6 months. If a traveller causes a risk of imminent death or serious bodily harm to another person while willfully or recklessly contravening this act or the regulations, they could be liable for up to $1,000,000 in fines, and/or imprisonment of up to 3 years."

When we quarantined in Manitoba after crossing the border from the USA in September, we were contacted every day to ensure we were at the agreed location and had not developed any symptoms.

OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Andy - That's about what I thought. Hopefully the next year or so the border will reopen for 'normal' travel.
Time will certainly tell the tale.
If I can't do Alaska next year, I can certainly do Highway 6 diagonally across the US - Massachusetts to Bishop then LA - sort of like my Highway 50 adventure -

Uncle Phil - Highway 50 2017

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Been to Valdez twice and worth the trip. Don't know about ferrying in, but the ride down Rt 4 is absolutely beautiful. Tok to Gakona is scenic and there's a great little coffee and food stand at the intersection of Rt 1 and Rt 4. There are several mountain waterfalls along the way with Bridal Veil Falls being the best known and definitely worth a stop in the daytime.

Seems like you've ridden along most of the pipeline from Prudhoe Bay, Valdez gives you the southern terminus. However you get there, be sure to take a look at "The Whispering Giant" statue there. It's a good one.

Shuey

PS: Looking forward to seeing you in Bay Minette next week. :)

Bike
2016 FJR
STOC #
Been to Valdez twice and worth the trip. Don't know about ferrying in, but the ride down Rt 4 is absolutely beautiful. Tok to Gakona is scenic and there's a great little coffee and food stand at the intersection of Rt 1 and Rt 4. There are several mountain waterfalls along the way with Bridal Veil Falls being the best known and definitely worth a stop in the daytime.

Seems like you've ridden along most of the pipeline from Prudhoe Bay, Valdez gives you the southern terminus. However you get there, be sure to take a look at "The Whispering Giant" statue there. It's a good one.

Shuey

PS: Looking forward to seeing you in Bay Minette next week. :)

Attachments

Bike
Moto Guzzi V7 850 Sp
My wife and I enjoyed Homer. The high points of our two-month trip three summers back were, in order of preference: Hyder for the bears and a trip up the hill to Salmon glacier. Not much else to do there but it was mind-blowing. The second was Seward, which has a really nice aquarium and some decent restaurants. The third was Valdez. We hired a small helo to fly us over the ridge to Columbia glacier which we had visited via a tour boat two days previous. There had been a small quake between the two trips and there was a lot of calving at the glacier which was pretty spectacular from the air.

We also enjoyed White Horse for the museums and some good food. The Beringia and Transport museums were educational and fun. Teslin, also in the Yukon, has a planetarium and the presentation was surprisingly good. We stopped at a number of interpretive centres and First Nations exhibits/museums between Teslin and Haines Junction, and quite honestly, found them more enjoyable than Fairbanks or Anchorage although there were some nice tours in Fairbanks. Anchorage was too much like Seattle.

BearCrossingHyder.JPGBearFishingHyder.JPGCalvingEventColumbiaGlacier.JPGColumbiaGlacier.JPGGoldDredgeChickenAK.JPGMountainGoatOusideOfTeslin.JPGOnColumbiaGlacier-!.JPGSalmonGlacier.JPGSewardAquariumWalrusBaby.JPGTranspoMuseumWhiteHorse.JPGTypicalSightInWhiteHorse.JPG

OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Anchorage was too much like Seattle.
The Salmon Glacier is well worth the ride up (done that twice) but yes, Anchorage is just another big city and I found Fairbanks not really that much different. The 'neat' stuff, as you pointed out, are in the small places along the way.

Bike
2005/06/07 ST1300
UP, if you make it up through here this summer, I just built a new shop with plenty of room for bike service with tools and everything else needed during the long trip. My info is on the Canadian RAN list and the only one in this area. That depends on your routing of course, but your welcome to whatever is here and all the comforts of home, even showers and beds...

OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
UP, if you make it up through here this summer, I just built a new shop with plenty of room for bike service with tools and everything else needed during the long trip. My info is on the Canadian RAN list and the only one in this area. That depends on your routing of course, but your welcome to whatever is here and all the comforts of home, even showers and beds...
Thanks - I will keep that in mind when I get ready to make the trip.
I stayed in your fair city at the Super 8 on my 2012 trip -

Uncle Phil - Alaska 2012 Day 15

Top Bottom