Alignment Issue Persists

Bike
2007 ST1300
I have a 2007 ST1300 and i had a leaking fork, so i rebuilt both my forks. Ever since then the bike has been slightly out of alignment. The forks are straight and the axle is spinning freely. The bike front tire is running straight and even. I get the feeling that my handlebar is tilted to the right by just a little bit. when the bike is going forward, it will run straight, but it will move to the left if i don't lean my body to the right side. its a very weird feeling. I have tried to loosen everything and push down on the forks to straighten everything out. I might just have to take to the dealer have them look at it? Anyone in the Charlotte, NC area that maybe able to assist me with this issue?

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
This is about pulling to the right but worth a try:

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
I suppose you would have mentioned it, but curiosity makes me wonder if it's had a tipover?
Shooting in the dark, looking for the light.

Bike
VFR750F, ST1300
Yeah, tipover may skew stuff. Usually loosening upper & lower fork-clamps and wiggling fork-tubes around may re-centre.

I also like to verify fork blades are actually parallel. It's actually possible to spin axle in fork-tips if blades are crooked in opposite directions. I like to place piece of plate glass across both fork-tubes and confirm both of them touches glass along entire length of contact.

This video really helped:

Plate glass is the way to go to ensure they are parallel. If even slightly off parallel the glass will rock. i use 1/4" thick glass.

Also, be sure to use the proper technique for tightening the axle and pinch bolts shown in the article referenced above.

Sidekick

Save Ukraine Stop War!
Bike
ST1300A '05
STOC #
Plate glass is the way to go to ensure they are parallel. If even slightly off parallel the glass will rock. i use 1/4" thick glass.

Also, be sure to use the proper technique for tightening the axle and pinch bolts shown in the article referenced above.
Can you explain the plate glass trick, never heard about this and I am curious?

Can you explain the plate glass trick, never heard about this and I am curious?
Plate glass is extremely flat. You take a piece of plate glass, and hold it against the upper portion of the forks. The part that does not slide. If the forks are aligned the glass will not rock. It will stay flat against the forks. If they are even a little bit out, the glass will rock a little bit.

Here's something I wrote up after I came up with the procedure. I had used glass to check flatness of other things in the past.

The procedure I came up with uses a piece of quarter inch thick plate glass. The glass is about 3.5" by 10.75" with the edges sanded down smooth. I had a piece laying around and cut it shorter so it would fit on the exposed part of the forks. Of course, you need to make sure it is flat, but that is pretty much standard with plate glass. The 3.5" was the largest I could get that could be used on both my bikes. I won't get into details of the whole fork tightening procedure as it may be different on different bikes. The assumption is that everything is in spec, nothing bent or broken and the forks are clean. For the ST1300 with the bike on the center stand and the front wheel in the air and the left axle pinch bolts loose, I place the glass against the fork tubes. If the forks are square, the glass will sit nicely against both forks. If the forks are even a little bit tweaked, the glass will be able to be rocked. If this happens, you need to slightly partially loosen the fork clamps and using the front wheel, tweak the forks in the other direction. A little experimentation here and you will get the forks perfect (within the limits of your measuring device).

The glass sits on the forks. You do not want to just lay it on the fork guards as it is in the photo, you need to hold it against the forks. Be VERY careful about scratching it.

Attachments

Sidekick

Save Ukraine Stop War!
Bike
ST1300A '05
STOC #
Plate glass is extremely flat. You take a piece of plate glass, and hold it against the upper portion of the forks. The part that does not slide. If the forks are aligned the glass will not rock. It will stay flat against the forks. If they are even a little bit out, the glass will rock a little bit.

Here's something I wrote up after I came up with the procedure. I had used glass to check flatness of other things in the past.

The procedure I came up with uses a piece of quarter inch thick plate glass. The glass is about 3.5" by 10.75" with the edges sanded down smooth. I had a piece laying around and cut it shorter so it would fit on the exposed part of the forks. Of course, you need to make sure it is flat, but that is pretty much standard with plate glass. The 3.5" was the largest I could get that could be used on both my bikes. I won't get into details of the whole fork tightening procedure as it may be different on different bikes. The assumption is that everything is in spec, nothing bent or broken and the forks are clean. For the ST1300 with the bike on the center stand and the front wheel in the air and the left axle pinch bolts loose, I place the glass against the fork tubes. If the forks are square, the glass will sit nicely against both forks. If the forks are even a little bit tweaked, the glass will be able to be rocked. If this happens, you need to slightly partially loosen the fork clamps and using the front wheel, tweak the forks in the other direction. A little experimentation here and you will get the forks perfect (within the limits of your measuring device).

The glass sits on the forks. You do not want to just lay it on the fork guards as it is in the photo, you need to hold it against the forks. Be VERY careful about scratching it.
What a great way to check the alignment of the fork. I'll try to find a glass shelve and experiment it.
Thank you!

You're welcome. Motion pro makes a tool, but it is for a different kind of alignment and I don't see how it could really help and I don't think it would work on most street bikes. It is more of a gross measurement that shows if the forks are pinched in.

youtu.be/QZHU8th4jO0?si=MCs3Yg5U4Ha5u2wk

My method works well enough on upside down forks too. Just not with the wheel on. You just have to push the forks back so they are against the internal fork bushings.

Attachments

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
You can also use the leg of a steel square (the thick ones locksmith use), a thick steel ruler or a piece of an X-rail (like for installing solar panels) as long as they're not bend or warped...
This however does not indicate a possible bend fork-tube... you'd need to disassemble the forks and roll the tube on a fully flat surface to find out...

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Everyone is throwing solutions at the problem, instead of finding the cause.
I’m on limited phone time, but call me, I can help.
:WCP1:

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Has anyone heard any update from the OP?
I've reached out a couple times, but have had no response.
There are two or three other things that need to be checked that nobody has touched on.

OP
OP
normeyj
Bike
2007 ST1300
sorry everyone been done in charleston last two weeks. After i changed the forks this issue is happening. The front tire is wearing evenly. What it feels like is the steering wheel is just pointing to the right. The spacers are correct on the front wheel, and the axle is flush with the fork. What it most feels like is the handlebars are just not true with the front wheel. its ridable just annoying.

Bike
VFR750F, ST1300
Does bike sit vertically when riding? Or does it lean to one side?
Does it go in straight line when you take hands off bars?

It could something bent in bars above forks. Bar spacers or bushing or bar-risers.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Seriously, you should call the number I sent you in your private message, and we should talk for a couple minutes.
I can explain how to solve this problem for you.
:WCP1:

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
sorry everyone been done in charleston last two weeks. After i changed the forks this issue is happening. The front tire is wearing evenly. What it feels like is the steering wheel is just pointing to the right. The spacers are correct on the front wheel, and the axle is flush with the fork. What it most feels like is the handlebars are just not true with the front wheel. its ridable just annoying.
That's because you haven't called the White courtesy phone yet :rofl1:

Top Bottom