All Balls or no Balls ? 2000 ST1000a abs Front Fork overhal

JJames

Site Supporter
Bike
2000 ST 1100 ABS II
Was going to change just fork oil , but it's going to turn in to a full fork overhal (bushings seals ,anti dive)- .So I'm looking to into the parts needed. The local mc dealer sells both OEM and All Balls parts. The later is at least 1/2 price maybe even a 1/3 . I have heard some not to good things about All Balls - But that might be bull. Anyone here tried their stuff , and want to comment - good or bad ? OEM here ,with the Anti dive stuff, will be about $ 300

Last edited:
Bike
2000 ST1100
At 66K miles the stock (factory?) balls were "notched". I replaced them with All Balls rollers and after 51K miles they are still smooth. Now that the bike is a sidecar rig, the ball bearing front didn't need to be replaced with rollers.

The difficult part to switching is removal of the lower race on the steering stem. WEAR SAFETY GLASSES OR A FACE SHIELD. Knotch the race with a dremel tool and hit the grove with a chisel. It should split, and can do so dramatically. Chill the steering stem assembly, and heat the new race. be sure to get it all the way onto the stem in one motion. It helps if you have a tube or pipe that will pass over the stem and push against the race to press it in position. Protect the race surface from scratching with the pipe.

It can be done on the garage floor, or bench, but it is tricky.
Jim

Last edited:
Top Bottom