OP
OP
the Ferret

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
Let me add that once broken in, I don't think that it hurts the bike to run it up to redline, I just find no need to do so.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
There's a reason a Peterbuilt is 10 times bigger with the same horsepower as today's 1/2 ton pickup trucks.
Umm... probably 3-4 times the compression ratio and 6 times the torque. Don't think it's really and apples to potatoes comparison.
1/2 ton pickup trucks with a Cummins are a considerably larger and heavier block too.

Bike
92 ST1100
Not to stray too far off topic, but the Ferret's comments are a reminder of what my dad used to say when I was way younger. Interestingly enough, he never had vehicle issues either while my vehicles seemed to either 'spin' a bearing, chuck a rod thru the block-side, etc..............NOW, I'm also in the Ferret's catagory, with the exception of the far between, occassional hitting of the rev limiter:wht11:.:D.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Not to stray too far off topic, but the Ferret's comments are a reminder of what my dad used to say when I was way younger. Interestingly enough, he never had vehicle issues either while my vehicles seemed to either 'spin' a bearing, chuck a rod thru the block-side, etc..............NOW, I'm also in the Ferret's catagory, with the exception of the far between, occassional hitting of the rev limiter:wht11:.:D.
You reminded me of a story that happened to me.

:th1:

Back in December 1985, I was riding home and it was snowing. This was in Palmdale CA where you got snow once in a while. I decided to go buy a car that night and came across a 1975 Pontiac Astre wagon (it was like a Vega...for those of you that can remember the Vega) He wanted $500 for it but when I got there I could tell the engine was on it's last leg, so I offered him $100. To my surprise, he took it.

The next morning I came to get it and I figured if I took side streets for the 5 miles to my house, I just might make it. Only one problem with my plan. One of those side streets had RR tracks and guess what was coming. I didn't think I could let it sit idle that long (really long trains up there) so I decide to go down to the highway. BIG mistake! As soon as I got out on the highway and gave it some gas, KaBOOM! I pulled over and looked at the poor engine with a rod right through the side! :eek:4:

I got it home with my wife towing me with a cable (that was almost a disaster in itself...), but I got a rebuilt engine in it and a year later put a V6 in it. ;)

RCS

Most of the stealers in my area refuse to disclose the clearences saying thats only information for our techs...which probably means they didn't do it.
As far as removing the tupperware...that takes less than an hour.
I would find a different dealership or search the forum for a local member who could help you.
I am also skeptical about a Dealer checking valve clearances. Takes me about 5 hours from plastic off to plastic on. Add two hours if shim changes are needed on both banks. I am not a mechanic.

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
Let me add that once broken in, I don't think that it hurts the bike to run it up to redline, I just find no need to do so
I understand you don't need to wind I up. I wind it up, to redline, because I want to feel the acceleration. My 1100 gets redlined every time out. At least once. :D Wind it up in 1st and shift into 5th because I'm up to the speed limit. No problems yet. Routine on my 200K+ miles 1100.

Last edited:

veefore

See you at my intervention!
Bike
15' BMW R1200RT
STOC #
I had mine checked at 24k and every clearance was dead center of spec (my mechanic is a good friend whom I trust).......the motor is an anvil I tell Ya!

Bike
2005 ST
Had mine checked at 98,000. km and everything was good to go . He told me that there weren't any that were even close to being out of spec.

Bike
04 ST
STOC #
Yea, I' m a pretty easy on the motors. It does everything I want it to do without having to spin it up. Same goes for my CB 1100, and the CB 1100 before that. I did have both of my Gen 1 FZ-1s up to 6k .....once lol. Funny thing is I am speeding most of the time..seems like whenever I look down I'm going faster than the posted limit

Most of the roads I ride are 45-55 mph country roads. While out riding the CB today I noted I could speed on any of the roads in 3 rd, 4 th, 5 th or 6 th gear without exceeding 4K rpms. I usually run them in 5 th.

Having just adopted Blue in August I find the comments re redline very enlightening ... so if I understand correctly there's no need to stay below 4500 rpm? While I'm here maybe some of the more experienced can enlighten me where to find 6th gear? I keep looking for it but haven't found it yet!

OP
OP
the Ferret

the Ferret

Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
" so if I understand correctly there's no need to stay below 4500 rpm? "

That's what they are saying, however I haven't found the need to go above 4500 either lol

Picked up my bike from the shop today and took it on a 52 mile test ride. Thought about this thread and thought about goosing it up to 5K but in the end I resisted

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
You get on some of the wide open roads... not only can you get it above 4500... you can keep it there for awhile.

I've cruised for an hour over over 5,5

OhioDeere

Been There, Done That, Got the Shirt.
Bike
06 ST1300
" Thought about this thread and thought about goosing it up to 5K but in the end I resisted
Hey Mick
That's those retirement speeds I was describing back a few threads. That lifestyle doesn't allow you to go any faster! Let me know when your ready to sell that bike. I'll sell mine and buy yours. It will be like brand new. LOL

Ferret, I think we a long lost brothers, I agree and ride just about like you. Back in my old Hare Scramble and Enduro racing days I gave my old dirt bikes a pretty hard time but since I retired from racing I ride pretty much like you now.

OhioDeere

Been There, Done That, Got the Shirt.
Bike
06 ST1300
ON the other hand, there's no need for much throttle with one of these either?

16511.jpg

OP
OP
the Ferret

the Ferret

Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
Doug, being retired means you no longer have to rush. I take that at face value lol

ST/SV ... Right there with ya brother, only I raced moto-x. Done going wide open!

" so if I understand correctly there's no need to stay below 4500 rpm? "

That's what they are saying, however I haven't found the need to go above 4500 either lol

Picked up my bike from the shop today and took it on a 52 mile test ride. Thought about this thread and thought about goosing it up to 5K but in the end I resisted
Good for you, Mr. Ferret,... Ride YOUR own Ride!...:):03biker:

Bike
18 Gold Wing
STOC #
My last valve check at Vinny's tech event was close to 70k and they were still in spec.:) I twist the throttle occasionally and usual ride 10+ over the speed limit depending on where I am but don't abuse the machine. Get over 250k on my vehicles without major problems and expect I'll get the same out of my ST.
My Dad thought me at a young age to take care of my things and they'd last a long time...my 37 year old shotgun has scars on the stock but my barrels are bright as mirrors!

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
ON the other hand, there's no need for much throttle with one of these either?

16511.jpg
I wish you had asked permission before posting a pic of my mom's bike. That site lifted it from her scrapbooking and needlepoint forum.

Top Bottom