Alternator Spring?

Bike
99 ST1100 (Std)
I'm a one time rider just getting back into the game after a 12 yr layoff with a '99 ST1100 (non ABS) I acquired last week. I've removed most of the tupperware so I can detail the bike and examine it more closely for any repairs that need to be made and in doing so have made a rather disturbing discovery - a short 5/8" inch spring, about 1/4" outside diameter, that was sitting inside an extruded boss on the alternator that lies between the two top bolt attachment points. It was lying in there loose, with one end sticking out just enough to catch my attention ... concerned it might fall into the recesses of the alternator I grabbed it lightly with a pair of needle nose pliers and removed it. This took no effort at all so clearly this spring wasn't being retained in any manner but since I find it hard to believe it could have just fallen from another spot on the bike and coincidentally landed inside that recess I've concluded it has to be part of the alternator. The questions are - what the heck is it, what's it for, and if it's not reinstalled what are the ramifications? Does anyone who has perhaps taken one of these alts apart know what I'm talking about or could lend some insight into this? I'd like to know if it's something I can just forget about or on the other hand is a disaster waiting to happen. For what it's worth I rode the bike up & down the street several times after this discovery and it seems to run fine. Here's a couple of pics ... I've used a small screwdriver to show the location on the alt where I found this spring sitting. Thanks in advance for any help!

Attachments

LarryC

SToog2
Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
Never seen a spring in any alternators previously so I'll venture a guess it was dropped in by accident by the PO and he couldn't find it. That said, I've never had the 1100 alt apart either...

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
I have had the 40amp alt apart. Only springs in the alt are for the brushes, and I doubt that one could have made it out of there intact. Also, the charging system would not function properly without it and a discharged battery would soon show it's ugly head.

I WOULD be concerned about some of the carb linkages; there are several springs utilized in the assembly. Could have came loose and found it's way down from the "valley" and fallen into the area above the alt.

Some of the springs are used to take up slack in the linkage between the carbs; bike would run without them, but probably like the carbs needed synced.

Last edited:

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
Here is a pic (thanks Adam Koczarski!) of the bottom of the carbs (with the float bowls removed). The areas circled are where the linkages connect and can be adjusted to sync them. There are 3 places for this, two on the top (right side) and one on the bottom (left). It would be difficult to see even with pulling the false tank and airbox, but you should be able to tell if one of these sync screws/springs is missing.

carbbottom.JPG

OP
OP
Greyfox
Bike
99 ST1100 (Std)
Thanks for the suggestion ... I did look and the spring I found sure looks just like the carb sync springs - sort of a light brass or bronze colour and the length looks like they could be about the same, 5/8". However, as far as I can tell all the sync springs are where they should be according to this carb parts diagram and carb parts list. Item #17 are the sync springs.

Attachments

Last edited:
OP
OP
Greyfox
Bike
99 ST1100 (Std)
I found a drawing of the 40 amp alternator in the ST1100, cleaned it up, and added text showing where I found the spring. Using a mirror I can see some sort of a metal head just inside this cavity where the arrow is pointing to in the drawing ... I'm guessing maybe it's a bolt that secures the two halves of the alternator together? In any case, this is where I found the spring sticking partly out of this cavity. I'm at a loss as to how this spring could belong there as it's too small in diameter to slip over the head of whatever it is I'm seeing with the mirror that's inside that cavity. FWIW I did notice when I measured it's length with a metal square that the spring tended to cling to the square, meaning it's magnetized, which in turn might explain why it sat in there and didn't fall out.

Attachments

Last edited:

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
Just to add to the fun.
That spot is where something with an *interesting* bounce or 2 (it is a spring after all) could possibly end up with a drop from the triple tree area into the "valley of missing screws".

If someone were working on a part next to the bike, that spot could be my guess for an interesting "where did that bugger go" bounce as well.

Bike
ST1100/ST1300
STOC #
You are not alone! I just picked up another ST ('96) and am in the process of restoring it. Bike sat for a long time in a shed. While cleaning and shop vacuuming out mouse nests, I found THE SAME EXACT SPRING in a nest on top of the alternator. I too am very curious were this spring came from! I've saved it, and am also trying to figure out were it came from.

Bike
ST1100/ST1300
STOC #
Here's some pix of the spring I found around the alt area inside of a mouse nest. It's the same spring! Even has the same yellow painted stripe going down the side of it. I looked at some close-up pix of some e-bay carbs. I don't think it's the tension springs for the synchronizer screws. Our spring looks too big. I'll do some more digging....

Attachments

Bike
ST1100/ST1300
STOC #
OP
OP
Greyfox
Bike
99 ST1100 (Std)
Just for the archives, here's a pic of exactly were it goes....
BINGO! I just took a look at my own ST and I'm missing that same spring and washer as well so I'd say you've solved the mystery! I notice it's also pretty well a straight drop down to the alternator below where I found the spring sitting partially within a cavity in the alternator casing. At the time I found it I noticed the spring was slightly magnetized, I'm guessing by the alternator, and is probably the reason it didn't just fall to the ground. Now my question ... I had my ST running just today, the bike idles properly, the idle adjustment works just fine, so what does this spring / washer do? Since it looks like a bit of a chore to get in there to remount it I'm inclined to just leave it as is for now, at least until such time as I have another reason to dig into that area.

OP
OP
Greyfox
Bike
99 ST1100 (Std)
:think1: The spring creates enough tension so the idle adjustment should not change on its own.
Well as far as can tell so far my ST's idle speed remains consistent even without this spring so I think I'll just leave it out for now, the upside to the story being at least I now know the spring didn't come out of the alternator as I was originally concerned might have been the case.

Top Bottom