Alternator

I'm looking at buying a 1995 st1100 with low klms but no charge and battery going flat on a ride.... the price is 2k so is it worth getting and fixing the alternator or reg or both or is it going to cost more than the bike is worth ?

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
I'm looking at buying a 1995 st1100 with low klms but no charge and battery going flat on a ride.... the price is 2k so is it worth getting and fixing the alternator or reg or both or is it going to cost more than the bike is worth ?
I would say no. You can probably find a post 1996 for that sum of money.
If as you say the bike is not charging, it could be a bad regulator, the connectors to the regulator and main relay may be burned out. Check the alternator casing for leaking of oil as this is an oil cooled unit.
To upgrade the alternator will take 1 to 2 days, and some special tools are needed.
The upgrade requires you to remove the fuel tank, the rear wheel, the swing arm and drive shaft. ( special tool is recommended to remove the swing arm)
You will need to acquire an adapter plate ( search the forum, as there is a member that makes one as the OEM is no longer available)
A generic alternator is available on eBay for $135. It’s a good product.
You will need to make up a sub harness and get a 50 amp fuse.
Parts for this project is just under $400 plus your labour.
If you do a search on the, upgrade you will find many have done it, and there’s good documentation on how to do it and a complete parts list.
If your concern is the mileage on the ST, I can understand wanting a low mileage bike, but these engines seem to go forever so it’s not unusual to see them with over 100k and performing well.

OP
OP
Davegra4141
I would say no. You can probably find a post 1996 for that sum of money.
If as you say the bike is not charging, it could be a bad regulator, the connectors to the regulator and main relay may be burned out. Check the alternator casing for leaking of oil as this is an oil cooled unit.
To upgrade the alternator will take 1 to 2 days, and some special tools are needed.
The upgrade requires you to remove the fuel tank, the rear wheel, the swing arm and drive shaft. ( special tool is recommended to remove the swing arm)
You will need to acquire an adapter plate ( search the forum, as there is a member that makes one as the OEM is no longer available)
A generic alternator is available on eBay for $135. It’s a good product.
You will need to make up a sub harness and get a 50 amp fuse.
Parts for this project is just under $400 plus your labour.
If you do a search on the, upgrade you will find many have done it, and there’s good documentation on how to do it and a complete parts list.
If your concern is the mileage on the ST, I can understand wanting a low mileage bike, but these engines seem to go forever so it’s not unusual to see them with over 100k and performing well.
Ok thank you for your response there's a good lot of info there...i was looking at a 1999 but it had higher klms on it at 139k plus where this current one is at 35k plus hence why I'm asking questions to see if it's worth buying and fixing up our do i keep looking i haven't actually ridden one yet and I'm hoping it will accommodate my 6'4 frame comfortably...

Bike
VStrom 650
Ok thank you for your response there's a good lot of info there...i was looking at a 1999 but it had higher klms on it at 139k plus where this current one is at 35k plus hence why I'm asking questions to see if it's worth buying and fixing up our do i keep looking i haven't actually ridden one yet and I'm hoping it will accommodate my 6'4 frame comfortably...
At a similar size to yourself, you will probably find the pegs high, but OK, and your knees will probably rest on the fairing panels, again OK if wearing protective clothing.
Upt'North.

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
I was looking for a 1300 when I found a very good condition 1991 1100 so I bought it. Still have the original 28 amp alternator and have had no problems with it. Had I known about the 28 amp system issues, I would have continued searching for a 1300. The charging problem may be a simple fix. Spare new or useable alternators are extremely hard to come by. If you are prepared to do the worse case repair, go for it....otherwise shop for a newer model.
The upgrade has been documented on this site several times, use the Search top right of the screen and search on 'ST1100 alternator' and see what you may be facing.

OP
OP
Davegra4141
At a similar size to yourself, you will probably find the pegs high, but OK, and your knees will probably rest on the fairing panels, again OK if wearing protective clothing.
Upt'North.
Thank you nice to know... all that said do you find it comfortable enough on long trips ?

OP
OP
Davegra4141
I was looking for a 1300 when I found a very good condition 1991 1100 so I bought it. Still have the original 28 amp alternator and have had no problems with it. Had I known about the 28 amp system issues, I would have continued searching for a 1300. The charging problem may be a simple fix. Spare new or useable alternators are extremely hard to come by. If you are prepared to do the worse case repair, go for it....otherwise shop for a newer model.
The upgrade has been documented on this site several times, use the Search top right of the screen and search on 'ST1100 alternator' and see what you may be facing.
Ok worth thinking about.... I'm kind of working to a buget but i will definitely look at my options i do actually like both models so maybe a 1300 will come up at my price... cheers mate thank you for your msg

Bike
VStrom 650
Thank you nice to know... all that said do you find it comfortable enough on long trips ?
Longest days, probably just under 500 miles.
Longest prolonged trip about 4500 miles in two weeks.
A reworked seat is all we needed, gel pads and anti slip front and rear. The standard seat will be pretty useless at high miles, the foam will be shot, and it is usually uncomfortable after about one hour.
With the gel inserts and better covering etc it was all day rideable.
Don't be afraid of an 11, just buy a good post 96.
Upt'North.

OP
OP
Davegra4141
Longest days, probably just under 500 miles.
Longest prolonged trip about 4500 miles in two weeks.
A reworked seat is all we needed, gel pads and anti slip front and rear. The standard seat will be pretty useless at high miles, the foam will be shot, and it is usually uncomfortable after about one hour.
With the gel inserts and better covering etc it was all day rideable.
Don't be afraid of an 11, just buy a good post 96.
Upt'North.
Thank you for your advice i will keep that all in mind cheers have a great day

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Yes, I would look for a 96 or later ST1100, preferably an ABSII (brakes are better, not just the ABS part).
I've got one with 172,000+ miles, one with 130,000+ miles and one with 120,000+ miles (and one with 55,000+ miles).
My 130,000+ one recently threw a water pump (that really surprised me and a first in 435,000+ miles on ST1100s) which trashed the engine but I plan on doing an engine swap as the rest of the bike is in great shape.
I'm 6'2" on a good day and have done many really long days with my Russell Daylong Saddles (850+ miles back to back) in comfort.
If you need risers, there is the 'flip clip mod' which is inexpensive and gives you about 1 inch up and back on the bars - and lots of riser kits for more out there.
You also may want to look at a Laminar Lip (or knock-off) or a taller wind screen given your height.

Bike
1994 ST1100
STOC #
I did the 40 amp alternator upgrade on my '94 after it started leaking. I think the main thing I'd be interested in on a pre '96 ST is the mileage. A super low mileage 1100 in great shape would be a bargain at $2K. The upgrade procedure is highly documented on this and the ST-rider site, and there is a traveling tool kit that has all the tools and info you would need to do the upgrade. Once it's done, all the electrical problems with red electrical plug failure etc. are over as they won't exist any more.

Smudgemo

Intermodal Man of Mystery
Bike
'08 GS / '78 CB550
I think I'd pay about half the going rate for a pre-'96 that needs an alternator (depending on overall condition), and only if you like projects of that sort and intend to do the work yourself. It is well-documented as Ned said and doesn't look to be terribly difficult, but there is a lot of work involved and you do need to buy parts that aren't always available on short notice.

OP
OP
Davegra4141
Yes, I would look for a 96 or later ST1100, preferably an ABSII (brakes are better, not just the ABS part).
I've got one with 172,000+ miles, one with 130,000+ miles and one with 120,000+ miles (and one with 55,000+ miles).
My 130,000+ one recently threw a water pump (that really surprised me and a first in 435,000+ miles on ST1100s) which trashed the engine but I plan on doing an engine swap as the rest of the bike is in great shape.
I'm 6'2" on a good day and have done many really long days with my Russell Daylong Saddles (850+ miles back to back) in comfort.
If you need risers, there is the 'flip clip mod' which is inexpensive and gives you about 1 inch up and back on the bars - and lots of riser kits for more out there.
You also may want to look at a Laminar Lip (or knock-off) or a taller wind screen given your height.
Thank you so much for your reply the pre 96 I'm looking at had 35000 plus on it for 2k but there's also a 1999 for 5k with 139000 plus on it ....i was alittle worried about wear on cams with that many klms but maybe from what you've said its not really that big of a deal...

OP
OP
Davegra4141
I did the 40 amp alternator upgrade on my '94 after it started leaking. I think the main thing I'd be interested in on a pre '96 ST is the mileage. A super low mileage 1100 in great shape would be a bargain at $2K. The upgrade procedure is highly documented on this and the ST-rider site, and there is a traveling tool kit that has all the tools and info you would need to do the upgrade. Once it's done, all the electrical problems with red electrical plug failure etc. are over as they won't exist any more.
That you do much for your reply I'll look further into that and make s decision once i work out the total cost.... thanks again

Bike
2000 ST1100
Thank you so much for your reply the pre 96 I'm looking at had 35000 plus on it for 2k but there's also a 1999 for 5k with 139000 plus on it ....i was alittle worried about wear on cams with that many klms but maybe from what you've said its not really that big of a deal...
Don't worry about wear on the cams. I have 82K on mine and cam lobes look new. A high mileage well taken care of bike is preferable to one that has been sitting still most of its life. I was dreaming about an ST1100 for a long time before I bought my 2000. Glad I waited for the improved alternator version.

Sunday Rider

Site Supporter
Bike
1997 ST1100
STOC #
The alternator is taking up all your attention, what else is required to get this baby on the road? If it has such few miles, it may have been sitting around. I guess until you have seen it and ridden it, you will have a feel of how much the gap between the $2K and $5k bike will disappear and lost riding time. I'm thinking carbs, coolant hoses, splines mentioned above by Uncle Phil. If you are mechanically inclined, this might not be a big thing.

Top Bottom