America’s Quietest Routes

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Bike
GL1800
STOC #
I looked up the road for SC, which they claimed to be US-321.

US-321 in SC is only quiet from Hardeeville to about 20 miles south of Columbia. Then it goes to hell in a hand basket in Columbia, quiets down a little on the north side of town, then gets filled up with hillbillies in jacked-up pickup trucks as you approach NC.

That stretch from Hardeeville north is only quiet because it's also the most BORING road in South Carolina, unless you're really into abandoned gas stations, vision fatigue, and the phrase "You ain't from here, are you?"

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
There is a Canadian National Park on the border between Saskatchewan and Montana. It is called Grasslands National Park.

One of its claims is that, once you get away from the visitor center, you can hear no man made sound. There are no nearby railroads and the flight paths do not cross over it much, if at all. My daughter camped there and said that is is eerily quiet. Spectacular night skys as well. I myself, have not visited it but I have ridden the roads nearby in both SK and MT and can attest to the fact that it truly "in the middle of nowhere".

Here is an interesting article.

Bike
VStrom 650
There is a Canadian National Park on the border between Saskatchewan and Montana. It is called Grasslands National Park.

One of its claims is that, once you get away from the visitor center, you can hear no man made sound. There are no nearby railroads and the flight paths do not cross over it much, if at all. My daughter camped there and said that is is eerily quiet. Spectacular night skys as well. I myself, have not visited it but I have ridden the roads nearby in both SK and MT and can attest to the fact that it truly "in the middle of nowhere".

Here is an interesting article.
Who'd have thought it I live about 20 miles from the quietist place on earth, but I can verify when the occasional shell fire and bombing takes place it does go up a decibel or two. I can just about hear it if out in the garden in the summer with a sou'wester blowing.
Well I never.
Upt'North.

Top Bottom