An expensive RAM mount part

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
I'd decided to keep my ST1300 for another year, even though it had 40k on it. So I had to get a RAM mount part to attach my EZpass and I knew the local BMW dealer stock them so I ran over there on my lunch hour. I was waiting for the parts guy to help another customer and so I wandered around the showroom and stopped at a new R1200GS Adventure they had on the floor. The sales guy comes up and starts pitching it too me but I stopped him and said that it was way out of my price range. I had found in my own searches that the big GS's were like Goldwing's; there's two kinds for sale: very low mileage bikes priced only a few thousands off of new and really high mileage bikes for which they still want too much for.
I told the salesman I was interested in the Adventure but I was looking for something older (and cheaper). To my surprise he says "An old guy just dropped in a 2007 with 17k miles on it an hour ago. We haven't even washed it yet but I'll take you out back if you want to see it."
I knew at this point that I was on dangerous ground but said OK. Other than being a little dirty it appeared to be in good shape. So then I asked the fatal question, "How much you want for it?" He said $12,000 and I knew I was in trouble. I texted a pic to my wife and said "Next bike?" The awesome wife that I have said "Not my favorite, but if you like it then that's all that matters." We had already discussed the GSA's and she though they were very "Utilitarian" which is quite damming from her. She always liked the ST.
The wife and I came back the next day for a test ride. I knew I was spoiled by how smooth the ST is and I wanted to make sure I could live with the GS on my daily commute which includes about 20miles of hwy. My initial impression was how roomy it was and how much air you got (it was a hot day), even with the big aftermarket windscreen. No, the boxer twin isn't as smooth as the ST (but nothing is) but it is smooth enough. And I'm more comfortable. Although, even though I'm 6'2 I don't have especially long legs, so even for me the reach to the ground from the saddle is a bit of a stretch, but not enough to be a problem. They really are completely different bikes and I look forward to a whole new world of "Adventure" riding. Unfortunately most of my adventures will be on the way to work, buy hey, I'll just have to see how many back ways I can take. So after the test ride I signed the paperwork and wrote out a check and she was mine. Well almost, they were going to go ahead and do the 18k service on it and some other stuff so it took a few days. I picked it up on Friday and then went out of town for a week on vacation, but I'm back now and actually look forward to going to work so I can do some riding.

I know this kind of post is worthless without Pictures, so here the required pic of my new gal in the driveway.
IMG_1310.jpg

I took off a few of my aftermarket accessory from my ST before I traded it in, so if anyone wants a Hondline 3 part tank bag or 02-07 shop manual let me know.

I'll keep lurking here as this is a great site with a lot of good people and great info.

-Richard

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Congrats on the new to you bike. Hope you enjoy it!

But what's with the "...even though it has 40K on it"...all about? 40K is just barely broken in! :eek:4:

OP
OP
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
>>> But what's with the "...even though it has 40K on it"...all about? 40K is just barely broken in!
You are right! :) And if you are planning on keeping it then it's no problem. The problem is selling it. They get harder to sell when the miles go up. There are so many low milage bikes on the market it's hard to sell a high milage one without practically giving it away.

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
Remind me not to shop for RAM parts at the BMW dealer! I would probably end up in divorce court....

Nice ride! Enjoy!!

BTW, my '93 1100 is just broke in with 152K. ;)

Bike
2006 ST1300
That would be a fun bike! I really like so many things about them, but the couple of things I don't like have kept them from being on my short-list of future bike possibilities. I really like the riding position...shaft drive...lots of available farkles...overall looks, once I get past the "beak". Very nice all-around bike. Congrats for your purchase!

My ST will be with me for a lot longer. I used a technique to ensure that- I got a bike loan when I bought it, then put on so many miles that the value quickly dropped below what I owe. Now I just have to keep the bike forever...or at least until it's paid off (kind of the same thing!). Still it only has 90k miles on it, so it will still be putting smiles on my face for a long time to come.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
>>> But what's with the "...even though it has 40K on it"...all about? 40K is just barely broken in!
You are right! :) And if you are planning on keeping it then it's no problem. The problem is selling it. They get harder to sell when the miles go up. There are so many low milage bikes on the market it's hard to sell a high milage one without practically giving it away.
And you are right about that! Selling my '05 was not an option, that's why I kept putting miles on it. But I have a son that has wanted that bike since the day I brought it home. He knows the maintenance on that bike (I even gave him the 6 to 8 pages of my record for it.)and I kept the tuperware looking good. But even with all of that, I basically gave it away to him! :D

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Great looking bike, I wouldn't mind giving one a try.

Top Bottom