Analysis of Motorcycle Crashes in Texas, 2010–2017

Bike
2004 Honda ST1300ABS
STOC #
These types of reports should state at the beginning, that "These statistics are geared to prove, motorcycles do not belong on the road with Cages!".

Therefore cages should be Banned from the roads!
One of the reports I read a while ago counted all motorcycles. Including ones that never touched the roadway. Not fair comparison if you ask me......

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Bike
2006 ST non abs
I contributed two crashes to that analysis. I’ve done my share. Broken bones and a totaled HD Heritage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bike
VStrom 650
Just don't drink and ride with a group of non-drinkers, be safer and only ride with other drinkers.
Didn't think of that. What do we call the group though?
The one for the roaders?
Make it a double club?
Plus, how much do we have to drink to be really safe? Is one drink enough or do we have to get truly rat arsed?
On the subject of RTC status (Road Traffic Collision, because we all know few are true accidental events) in the UK they are referred to as KSI's which translates to Killed or Seriously Injured. Who decides on the status, some bleeding statistician.
I feel a glass of Glenmorangie creeping up!
Upt'North.

Bike
2006 ST non abs
There is no such thing as “a small one” or just one.
Eight reasons to drink. Reasons 1-7, days that end the letter Y. Reason 8, it’s always happy hour some where

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bike
VStrom 650
There is no such thing as “a small one” or just one.
Eight reasons to drink. Reasons 1-7, days that end the letter Y. Reason 8, it’s always happy hour some where

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You're right, let's share a bottle, it'll be safer anyways.
Upt'North.

Bike
R1200rt
what inquiry minds want to know is how many had serious injuries because they wore an out of date helmet ??:thumb:

Bike
2010 ST1300
These types of reports should state at the beginning, that "These statistics are geared to prove, motorcycles do not belong on the road with Cages!".

Therefore cages should be Banned from the roads!
This would be a hard sell - they outnumber us....Besides, without them you would be bored riding to work.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Back in the '80s I remember the DMV actually had a question on the auto driving test that went something like this:

You should always be careful around motorcycles because:

a) they are harder to see
b) blah, blah, blah
c) they are always riding too fast

and this was in the UJM days, before sportbikes were really a thing. Maybe the very early Ninja era.

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
Like it is said, there are lies, damn lies and statistics.

However, numbers can be revealing, this paper and in particular this link https://www.iihs.org/iihs/topics/t/motorcycles/fatalityfacts/motorcycles indicate some pretty basic things..................

• About 40% of fatals were not wearing a helmet, so always wear one.
  • About 40% of fatals were drunk, so never drink and ride.
  • I wonder how above 2 stats overlap, i.e. how many helmetless riders were drunk??
  • About 40% of fatals were single vehicle crashes. Deer and other animals aside, ride within your own capabilities and skill level.
For engine size 1001 - 1400 cc sport touring rider fatalities in 2016 indicated to be 24 out of total of 4,653. Unless I missed it report does not provide breakdown of each bike type to total bikes or number of miles rode per year per type so ST proportion of overall totals not clear. However, I'd suggest that ST riders are underrepresented in fatalities perhaps due to age, experience, or riding style vs. other segments of the population. No hard evidence to prove this though.

schlep1967

Bill
Bike
GL1800
STOC #
"Speeding is associated with motorcycle crash severity "

How many of those crashes were from cages pulling out from the right, right in front of the rider and the left turner that "didn't see the motorcycle"?
In defense of some of the auto's that pull out in front of a speeding motorcycle, when pulling out onto a 40 mph road you judge the gaps by the expected speed of approaching vehicles. When looking from the side street you see a headlight half a mile away and you expect it to be traveling at or near the speed limit (40-50) and in reality it closes the gap in less then half the time because it is going 100 mph, that is not the cages drivers fault.

As motorcycle riders we need to be responsible for our own actions. Traveling excessively above the posted limit is a choice you make knowing what the consequences could be.

schlep1967

Bill
Bike
GL1800
STOC #
There was a time when I had access to Pennsylvania crash records. Here is the summary of a five year crash analysis I did. I first started this inquiry to show how many motorcycle crashes were caused by left turning drivers. Why? Because everything I have read on motorcycle sites told me that was the most prevalent cause of motorcycle crashes. The actual data showed me otherwise.

2008-2012 Pa Motorcycle crashes - 19,636
Single unit crashes - 10,098
Multi Unit crashes - 9,538

Multi Unit Crash Breakdown by prime factor in Crash
Multi Unit crashes - 9,538
Other Unit as Prime factor - 5,328 (55.9%)
Motorcycle as prime factor - 3,830 (40.2%)
Others: Pedestrians, vehicle failure, Unknown Unit, Environmental -380 (3.9%)

Summary:
10,098 Single unit crashes
3,830 Multi unit crashes where motorcycle was prime factor in crash.
Total 13,928 Motorcycle Crashes that the motorcyclist had the ability to prevent.
13,928/19,636 = 70.9% of all motorcycle crashes in PA over five years the motorcyclist was the prime factor.

5,328 Multi unit crashes with other unit as Prime factor in crash.
5,328/19,636 = 27% of all motorcycle crashes in PA over five years the other unit was the prime factor.

Watch for motorcycle signs send a great message .... that address 27% of our crashes. Only we can address the 70.9%.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Another factor to consider in single unit crash figures is people will sometimes crash and not report it, so if anything that single unit crash figure is probably lower than reality.

Bike
2004 Honda ST1300ABS
STOC #
Another factor to consider in single unit crash figures is people will sometimes crash and not report it, so if anything that single unit crash figure is probably lower than reality.
In Virginia, the threshold for a reportable crash is $1,500 in damage or any injury(visible, or complaint of pain). $$ amount does not include labor, but just parts. Also, if your ride isn't valued at $1,500 or more, it could be totalled and still not be a reportable crash.......

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom