And the Survey says: It's SAFER! Yeah, one of those lane splitting threads!

OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Yup, I have preconceived opinions about lane splitting - were I to live in CA where it is legal, I'd be doing it too to save time. But the discussion here is about the safety of the technique. All I'm questioning is the reporting of the article you posted. Either riding and lane splitting is safer than riding and not ls'ing OR riding and not lane splitting is safer than riding with lane splitting. If lane splitters tend to wear more protective gear, and fewer of them die or are hurt compared to non splitters, then I would say the practice is safer. We can discuss what you think about the practice if, for example, statistics show that 50% more of the lane splitters get in minor scrape type accidents than non ls'ers and that is what I was questioning in my post above.

The article muddied the answer to this question. Not surprising given how the media often muddies simple issues.
I've been lane splitting for over 43 years and have never been in an accident because of it. My accident back in 2008 was not from lane splitting, but from being in my lane and the driver next to me "thought" my lane was open! So, from my experiences, yeah, it's safer!

Bike
2002 ST1100A
STOC #
I lane split (filter) and think it can be done safely. A lot more cars see you and move out of your way than cars that intentionally don't allow you to pass them. (I have encountered a few A**holes). I think the commercials that the CHP has put on TV about sharing the road with motorcycles have helped! I only filter when the cars are doing less than about 20mph or when they are stopped.....and do it at less than 10mph over the cars. I only lane split when I can see down the length of cars and there is a large enough space for the wide ST. If not, it's just not worth it to me. I've seem guys lane splitting cars on the freeway doing 65mph, and I've seen guys lane splitting stopped/slow moving cars at 30mph+...CRAZY! I think that is where the stats for bikes rear ending cars comes from. They are splitting way too fast and don't have enough reaction time to slow/stop and/or maneuver around cars that abruptly change lanes in front of them while they are splitting. For me it all about reducing risk rather than getting home 2minutes earlier. If done within the CHP guidelines (that were taken down from their website because of legal action by one of those said A**holes) I feel lane splitting slowly is safer than sitting in stop and go traffic with the potential to get rear ended by a distracted driver.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
The article muddied the answer to this question. Not surprising given how the media often muddies simple issues.
Yes, I also wonder why on earth one can correlate and stats between filtering and protective gear being worn...
(but never trust a statistic you haven't manipulated yourself... ;-))
The only, very remote conclusion that could be drawn, would be that the majority of those riders who do split lanes are more experienced/competent in the first place, thus wear ATGATT because of their attitude...

However, while I'm lane splitting I am the one in control, whilst while toddling along in a lane behind a car I'm passively exposed and vulnerable to whatever acts other drivers decide to pull off, risking to get sandwiched and others...
Often you get forced into lane splitting as evasive manoeuvre over some BD driver "thinking" (and an good number might actually do it on purpose) the place occupied by you on the motorcycle is free or his/hers...

Yes, long-time CA resident drivers tend to expect lane sharing/filtering, especially in the heavy traffic-prone metro areas. However, aside from the typical cell phone-distracted drivers, perhaps the biggest wildcard for a filtering motorcyclist is the high percentage of drivers in CA who aren't from CA, such as nervous, confused, lost, scared, distracted, oblivious tourists from all over the world, and for that matter, a not insignificant number of unlicensed and uninsured illegals behind the wheel. In my experience, some tourists are highly unpredictable behind the wheel, so I have learned to give obvious rental cars and those with out of state plates an especially wide berth when I'm on the scooter in CA. The most touristy areas also tend to be the most likely to have heavy traffic with filtering bikes, such as the LA and SF metro areas. As was pointed out, sometimes the risk of NOT filtering forward outweighs the dangers of carefully doing so, but you're putting a lot of trust in the drivers around you no matter how good you are.

I also agree with what was said above and in the report about HOW you filter being perhaps the most critical factor. It makes me cringe to see bikes lane splitting at full freeway speeds, or passing between stopped or slowly moving trucks and cars at speeds far in excess of the traffic around them. They are leaving themselves little to no reaction time and not giving the other vehicle drivers a chance to see them coming. I watch for filtering bikes when stopped in traffic, of course, but I have been caught by surprise many times by bikes coming by me so fast I neither saw nor heard them until they whizzed past my ear.

It's especially dangerous around vehicles with significant blind spots, such as trucks, buses, and RVs. I recently read a report of a freeway crash in CA where a filtering rider ricocheted off the side of another vehicle in traffic and careened under the trailer of a semi truck that was slowly moving forward in the next lane. The truck driver apparently didn't notice the bike coming nor the ricochet that sent the rider to the pavement under his trailer. His trailer wheels ran over the downed rider, with fatal results.

As a defensive riding technique, I have made a mental practice of PLANNING to lane share even when I don't intend to, and even in places where it's technically illegal. When traffic starts slowing down, I try to keep my distance from the vehicle in front of me in order to keep my options open, pick my escape route, keep rolling along in 1st gear if possible or stay in 1st gear if stopped, and watch my mirrors closely. If things look bad behind me I'm not going to just sit there and get blasted, I'll be lane splitting like a crazy man.

Last edited:
STOC #
Bob, you are right. All your posting about this will never change a single persons opinion. I lived in CA for 55 years and split lanes. Here in AZ I would never do it. Do what you do and you will never make believers out of others.

OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I've never felt good about having to put my foot down on a freeway.
IT'S CAPT. GRUUVY! Mark, how the heck are you? Glad to see you posting!

Remembering many of your past comments, you were never one to let traffic slow you down period...even at 70+MPH! :rofl1:

Bob, you are right. All your posting about this will never change a single persons opinion. I lived in CA for 55 years and split lanes. Here in AZ I would never do it. Do what you do and you will never make believers out of others.
I really don't expect to change too many minds, but one thing I do expect, and that is those that have never tried it and are very bold in telling us how dangerous it is, and that THEY would NEVER do it, to try reading articles like this and learn that we might not be as crazy as they think we are! ;)

Including my wife! :rofl1:

Last edited:

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
...one thing I do expect, and that is those that have never tried it and are very bold in telling us how dangerous it is, and that THEY would NEVER do it, to try reading articles like this and learn that we might not be as crazy as they think we are! ;)
LOL! :lol:
I second that wholeheartedly :cool:
The "infidel" should try the city ​​highway in/out Paris (France)... :D

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
As a defensive riding technique, I have made a mental practice of PLANNING to lane share even when I don't intend to, and even in places where it's technically illegal.
Herein lies the problem. So it's not illegal to lane split but it's not really legal but it is illegal some places?

I've tried lane sharing every time I've rode in CA. I've yet to learn what's legal and what's not since it's not legal or illegal!!

So this summer when I came near the end of 4 lanes on HWY58 somewhere around Mojave, traffic was visible backed up for 3-5 miles and I knew why I decided to lane split. It was around 105 degrees so sanity was not all there on my choices. It was obvious the truckers were not all from CA and didn't want bikes passing them while they sit not moving. Some of the trucks split fine moving left and right of center but some rode the center line on purpose. I went around a couple on the shoulder and a few on the double yellow. Was that legal?

So how are out of state riders (and drivers) supposed to know whats right or wrong if we can't find it written as law?

Totally unrelated but the now crashed Galactic airship was overhead as I passed thru the desert and I got a couple blurry iphone shots with it way above 40,000 feet.

Raymond

OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
LOL! :lol:
I second that wholeheartedly :cool:
The "infidel" should try the city ​​highway in/out Paris (France)... :D
I've driven in Paris (auto), now there is one place I would NOT (along with Rome) want to ride a motorcycle! :eek:4:

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
I've driven in Paris (auto), now there is one place I would NOT (along with Rome) want to ride a motorcycle!
Frankly, it took me like 10 minutes to adjust... but its fun, it really brings you ahead quickly and its expected by all the motorists there, so they act quite irritated when opening a gap and you don't make use of it... where I won't fit by with the ST1100 I pull aside to let the local scoots and smaller bikes pass, who always thank you (foot down wave) to then widen the gap between the cars ahead so I can chase after them... once you got the hang of it is really, really flawless and smooth... (as a result my GF instantly got herself a scooter for commuting here in Vienna and she's really cocky on that thing :D )
Sure, for the unaware that all looks like pure insanity, cars going like 40~50mph, the bikes & scoots gunning through at 70~100mph... :shock:
But I'm quite comfortable there (also is the big ST more "impressive" to cagers...) and have a real hard time not doing it "the French way" when back home in Vienna :lol:
But I also wouldn't dare to, the local drivers here are way not as attentive and courteous as the French, Italian, Spanish or Portuguese...

But its the same with parking there, no one cares that you place your motorcycle right on the sidewalk, directly aside your table at the street caf?... that's the local custom there...

Last edited:
Bike
'07 ST1300
STOC #
Our first time in California on the bikes we were not planning to lane split. The opportunity presented itself and several bikes passed us. We were at a standstill. Slowly and carefully we started the process. It became easier with practice. We did have some trucks block our progress, seamingly intentionally. When the traffic started moving we would remain in a lane, only to repeat the process when it stopped. If you are going to drive in "big City" traffic given the advice noted above I really don't think it is more dangerous than sitting there as a target. I only wish it were legal in Texas and more states.

OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Our first time in California on the bikes we were not planning to lane split. The opportunity presented itself and several bikes passed us. We were at a standstill. Slowly and carefully we started the process. It became easier with practice. We did have some trucks block our progress, seamingly intentionally. When the traffic started moving we would remain in a lane, only to repeat the process when it stopped. If you are going to drive in "big City" traffic given the advice noted above I really don't think it is more dangerous than sitting there as a target. I only wish it were legal in Texas and more states.
I started riding at 19 in Los Angeles. You just can't help to start busting traffic here. But, just like then, you were at the mercy of the Local Law Enforcement Officers. If they felt you were unsafe, they would haul your :butt1: to the side and chew you out and maybe even write you up! :law2: You ask, how do I know? Others have told me...:rolleyes:
I've had two verbal warnings, six months apart from the same San Diego cop a few years back... but I've never been pulled over for it. :D

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
The opportunity presented itself and several bikes passed us. We were at a standstill. Slowly and carefully we started the process. It became easier with practice.
Yep, same during the first trip to Italy back in the 90ies... after observing all the locals we just joined in...

Once I had a brief "hold your breath" moment on the French Riviera:
Total gridlock, all the scoots ignoring the double solid line, passing the queue on the oncoming lane, so we on 3 STs did so as well... but at an intersection a gendarme was regulating the traffic... and for a brief moment I wasn't sure if that tolerance to pass all and everything might only be applied on the 50cc scoots... :-?

But how wrong I was... that LEO blew into his whistle, yielded all cars with his white-gloved left hand and actually waved us over the intersection with his other... we even didn't had to slow down at all... LOL! :D
While passing by I nodded and said "Merci!", and he nodded back!... impressive attitude there...

OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
While passing by I nodded and said "Merci!", and he nodded back!... impressive attitude there...
Motorcycles are "part" of the transportation solution in most of the world, except the US. Here, they are concidered toys, or a "sport" and have never been concidered part of our transportation solution. If it was, filtering/lane splitting/busting traffic, etc, would be accepted in all 50 states!

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Motorcycles are "part" of the transportation solution in most of the world, except the US.
To me it seems that the folks in the countries mentioned are actually thankful that you're not just another car, adding to the havoc...
Its also that cities like Paris, Milan, Barcelona, etc... have a quite massive traffic...

Here, they are concidered toys, or a "sport" and have never been concidered part of our transportation solution.
Same throughout the general population here in Austria, Germany or Holland...
In Austria we're at least so far fortunate that a) we're legally allowed to filter (passing standing queues in prudent manner) and b) the authorities enabled use of 125cc scoots with a car license (only a 6h training required) in consideration to ease the parking situation in the cities...

But even while legal filtering raises "issues" with many... how often do I shout lines back at drivers like "...you're not in the queue, you are the queue..." or "...OK, what about I ride back home, get my car and add myself to the mess here?!..." which mostly mutes them...
Dunno what their problem is, motorcycles just pull up to the hold line and when the light turns green their simply gone... they don't obstruct them drivers, nor means danger to them, don't waist parking-spots, etc...

OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
To me it seems that the folks in the countries mentioned are actually thankful that you're not just another car, adding to the havoc...
Its also that cities like Paris, Milan, Barcelona, etc... have a quite massive traffic...

Same throughout the general population here in Austria, Germany or Holland...
In Austria we're at least so far fortunate that a) we're legally allowed to filter (passing standing queues in prudent manner) and b) the authorities enabled use of 125cc scoots with a car license (only a 6h training required) in consideration to ease the parking situation in the cities...

But even while legal filtering raises "issues" with many... how often do I shout lines back at drivers like "...you're not in the queue, you are the queue..." or "...OK, what about I ride back home, get my car and add myself to the mess here?!..." which mostly mutes them...
Dunno what their problem is, motorcycles just pull up to the hold line and when the light turns green their simply gone... they don't obstruct them drivers, nor means danger to them, don't waist parking-spots, etc...
Yep, you're right, same issues here! They just don't like the fact that you don't have to sit and wait like they do. Sometimes I wished I had a speaker attached to my Autocom where I could yell at some of the idiot drivers! Instead, I either hit the with my brights or the :toot1:! I love my modualtor too. I find that it helps a lot to get drivers out of my path before I get there. :D

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
The envious attitude (of many) seems to root in issues like low self-confidence, self-pity, thus a personal urge to bring misery upon others...
It gets very obvious when filtering through a gridlock:
while those in a mini-car (mostly females though...) are always trying to close/narrow the remaining gap to block you from filtering (some even opening the door... :roll: ), the striped shirt & tie dudes in their 700series beemer, Jag, S-Class Merc, Porsch, Bentley, etc... are just beyond that, actively making space for you, folding in the door mirrors and steering to move their town car just a few inches to the side...
I always accept that "offer" to pass by, plus wave/nod a thanx to encourage them to continue their courtesy...
And when driving the car/van I of course perform the same, when in the queues I plan ahead where to leave a gap for the two wheeled...

But as long as politics and media keep bashing on motorcyclists, attitude and behaviour of the vast majority won't change...

Top Bottom