angled valve stem

Bike
2010 ST1300
I love the T valve stems used w/ TPMS's like Fobo or Hawkshead. Made of steel (I think) and allow you to go to a TPMS if you wish. Since they are heavier than the aluminum angled variety you almost certainly will have to balance your tire/wheel.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
I just recently ordered another set from this guy who is a member here so even though this is an old thread he is still supplying.
You can submit your order by clicking the Buy Now button in this thread- 90 Degree Angled Valve Stems - Black, Red, Blue, Gold and Silver

If you prefer to purchase directly from his website rather than through his thread on ST-Owners his site is MotoMillion.
Either way enter STOWNERS as a discount code and he will take a couple of bucks off.

You will need the 11.3 mm valves for the ST1300.

Last edited:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
which angled valve stems do you recomend/use???
Andrew Shadow said:
These are nice stems especially of you're not going to be adding a TPMS sensor to them. There's nothing preventing you from adding one to these stems but there is some inconvenience of removing the sensor to add air and not knowing how much you've added until you put the sensor back on. Then you might have to add more are or bleed some off. Not a big deal but if you have or might be getting a TPMS eventually the T-valves are the way to go.

i seem to have a lot of trouble with the stock ones
You're not alone. If it's going to be some time before your next tire change you might get a curved valve stem adapter as an interim solution. Screw this on your current stem when getting air and remove it before going in service. The adapter is not meant to stay on while riding as it will damage rubber stems.

You're probably already aware of having the angled stems installed facing to STBD-side for easier access.

Last edited:
OP
OP
lrhsr05st1300

lrhsr05st1300

sirlancealot
Bike
04 st1300
STOC #
These are nice stems especially of you're not going to be adding a TPMS sensor to them. There's nothing preventing you from adding one to these stems but there is some inconvenience of removing the sensor to add air and not knowing how much you've added until you put the sensor back on. Then you might have to add more are or bleed some off. Not a big deal but if you have or might be getting a TPMS eventually the T-valves are the way to go.

You're not alone. If it's going to be some time before your next tire change you might get a curved valve stem adapter as an interim solution. Screw this on your current stem when getting air and remove it before going in service. The adapter is not meant to stay on while riding as it will damage rubber stems.

You're probably already aware of having the angled stems installed facing to Port-side for easier access.
thanks i just ordered a set

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
I also bought a set from that fella and I am happy with the product. I thought they were a somewhat popular product, but my local dealership looked at me like I had two heads. They were not very common around here ,but they had done them before they said.
I asked if they knew what value to torque them to and they nodded. :)
When I got my first tire back, I could easily turn the valve stem while cleaning the wheel which I thought was strange. I emailed the guy from that thread and he returned my email right away and said ....

Hello Kevin, you shouldn't be able to turn it easily.

The torque specs are 7Nm to 10Nm. (5.1~7.3 ft-lb / 62~88 in-lb)

Best Regards,
Mani Azeri
Motomillion
+1-305-613-3624

So I brought the tire back and they took the tire off again and tightened it properly. Then I brought the other tire in to them.

I installed mine facing the starboard side. (right) I figured since the bike was leaning to the port side when on the side stand, it makes them easily accessible. I have no problem reaching them now....

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Larry Fine said:
Remember that "port" and "left" are both four letter words.
Thanks but that only helps if you don't know the difference between port and starboard and not if you're just experiencing a drift factor. :D

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Thanks but that only helps if you don't know the difference between port and starboard and not if you're just experiencing a drift factor. :D
I understand now: you remembered which way port is, you just forgot which way the bike leans. :biggrin:

Coop

R.I.P. - 2022/10/6
Rest In Peace
STOC #
Close! I'm thinking the bike is leaning to PORT and the valves need to point 'opposite' and not STBD.
Is the bike pointed true north? And why do the Brits go by coast guard rules passing starboard to starboard?

Bike
2005 ST1300 PA
Don’t go with this type if using a TPMS (FoBo in my case) as the double gasket couldn’t take the weight of the monitor device and began to leak. Also, make sure the tube diameter is correct for your wheel/rim.

I replaced this bastage with a flush mounted 90* angled valve stem.

As for port and star board, these are sail ship aged nautical terms for which side they typically moored the ship at dock. The left side of the ship typically was on the dock or port side for loading/unloading purposes. Being most Atlantic facing ports and docks faced Westward, the North Star - the primary navigational datum would be on the right side when the ships fore-ward bow was pointing seaward. Hence, the star boarding side. (Note star-board, and not stars-board).

Last edited:

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
I always park my ST on the centerstand. I am right handed so I put the front 90 degree stem to the port side and the rear to the starboard side. Makes checking air pressure easier.

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
I always park my ST on the centerstand. I am right handed so I put the front 90 degree stem to the port side and the rear to the starboard side. Makes checking air pressure easier.
I use this positioning as well, but only use the center stand when doing certain maintenance work. Right handed also being the reason.

Top Bottom