Another DarkSide tire on my ST 1300

Northern Dancer

Northern-Dancer
Bike
ST1300PA Police
Hi Guys,

I am so excited, finally was able to have a clear period with no rain to really take my ST1300PA (Police Special) with SOLO Seat for a good spin with the larger G709 Goldwing Front Tire and my New Hankook Rear Car Tire. I just love it, for the first time I can actually hear my Motorcycle and not those Howling Dunlop or Bridgestone Tires made for the ST1300. That G709 Front Tire is silent and has never cupped on my Goldwing and that Hankook rear Tire is equally silent.

Took the ST1300PA up to 100Mph a couple time and really accelerated hard with Zero issues, takes Corners just beautiful. The Tires add a lot to the Rear suspension as it is so much softer to the BUNS yet solid in handling. This softer ride is doubled buy the G709 only needing 34 psi and its softer ride. Really happy this Forum pointed me to this Tire and its being able to fit the ST1300 so perfectly. I am running 41 psi in the Hankook and this seems to be its sweet spot and since I can never carry a Passenger (SOLO Seat) I see no need to adjust Air Pressure further.

I am not new to the Darkside as I use Car Tires on my other two Motorcycles but this is the first time with my ST1300PA.

O'Yes the Hankook and G709 both are excellent in the rain I found out the first time out.

According to this Forum others are getting good Wear on this Hankook and I fully expect the G709 just may outlast the Hankook 2 to 1.

We will see come Summer?

Northern Dancer,

Ron

Last edited:
Bike
2006 ST1300
Glad to see its working as well for you as it is for me. The CT really brings out the "touring" side of the ST. If that front tire lasts as well as you expect, it would make these bikes a true long distance machine.

I always hated the thought of either having to buy tires while out on the road, or removing a perfectly good half-worn tire just to ensure that your tires will last for a couple week trip. If I take off for 2 weeks and plan to do 10k+ miles, I want my tires to last until I get home.

Northern Dancer

Northern-Dancer
Bike
ST1300PA Police
Glad to see its working as well for you as it is for me. The CT really brings out the "touring" side of the ST. If that front tire lasts as well as you expect, it would make these bikes a true long distance machine.

I always hated the thought of either having to buy tires while out on the road, or removing a perfectly good half-worn tire just to ensure that your tires will last for a couple week trip. If I take off for 2 weeks and plan to do 10k+ miles, I want my tires to last until I get home.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Exactly my feelings-- could not be better said!!

My Goldwing that is made for Touring had the same problem, it just ate Rear Tires especially. I actually have 5 Rear wheels because of this. Rather then take off a Tire with miles left on it I would just switch Wheels. Since a lot of the Older Crowd are Triking their Goldwing's you can buy Complete Rear Ends with Rear Drive, Rear Wheel with likely a new Tire mounted, Rear Shock Etc, Etc for 10 cents on the Dollar.

So I have one Rear Wheel with a New Bridgestone G704 Motorcycle Rear Tire Mounted in case I might have warranty Issues and the other 4 have (2) KUMHO 196/55-16 Run-Flat Tires Mounted, 1 has a Dunlop 195/60-16 Non-Run Flat SP5000, 1 has a GoodYear TripleTred 205/60-16 mounted.

I run the KUMHO 10,000 (Half Worn) then removed it to try the Dunlop SP5000, then before it was worn out hearing such good things about the GoodYear TripleTred I just had to try it out. So far the GoodYear has been the best Car Tire for my Goldwing so far.

Cheers,

Ron

OP
OP
970mike

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
This tire is now down to the wear bars after 19,000 hard miles on it. :D I will replace it before going on any other long trip.

Gene

That's MR CUPCAKE to you!
STOC #
so ya got almost as many miles as 4 bikie tires in one season all for the huge price of around $100 ?? So what was the total sayings over the live of this tire ?? not to mention the inconvienance of 3 tire changes of half worn out tires due to long trips ! Thanks

OP
OP
970mike

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
so ya got almost as many miles as 4 bikie tires in one season all for the huge price of around $100 ?? So what was the total sayings over the live of this tire ?? not to mention the inconvienance of 3 tire changes of half worn out tires due to long trips ! Thanks
The part of having to change tires prior to leaving on a trip is one of the best benefits, I just put 1224 miles on my ST yesterday and would never had done that on a regular motorcycle tire. I was just out there looking at the bike and tire and if I wanted to push the tire I am sure that you could put that many miles on it again, but I will replace it and not push my luck! The total savings would be huge if you have to purchase your tires on the road.

Overall I am satisfied with this "outside the box" tire and will continue to experiment with other brands of tires to compare with the wear and headlining. One of my first thoughts was this type of tire would never work on a motorcycle, and my thinking was I would put it on and if it did not work I was not out to much money and someone else could try the tire. Well it does work for me and I would never push anyone to try a car tire on their bike.

2005RedRider

Still ridin'
Bike
2014 Harley FLHTCU
The part of having to change tires prior to leaving on a trip is one of the best benefits, I just put 1224 miles on my ST yesterday and would never had done that on a regular motorcycle tire. I was just out there looking at the bike and tire and if I wanted to push the tire I am sure that you could put that many miles on it again, but I will replace it and not push my luck! The total savings would be huge if you have to purchase your tires on the road.

Overall I am satisfied with this "outside the box" tire and will continue to experiment with other brands of tires to compare with the wear and headlining. One of my first thoughts was this type of tire would never work on a motorcycle, and my thinking was I would put it on and if it did not work I was not out to much money and someone else could try the tire. Well it does work for me and I would never push anyone to try a car tire on their bike.
Thanks. I appreciate your honest input. CT's may no be for everyone, but I like mine so far.

Dale:D

sbond22

'06 ST1300A The DarkeST color
Bike
'06 ST1300A
Thanks for all the info. Keep the reports coming on your next tire.
Mike. Was 34 your optimum pressure? Did the tire wear evenly?

OP
OP
970mike

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #

Attachments

Bike
2015 BMW K1600GT
I did have to plug a hole in my Hankook tire yesterday as I had a drywall screw in it.
Holy smokes! I just had to plug my tire. I had a drywall screw in it too.

Even in heavy rain, this thing sticks like glue. No complaints at all.

+1

I've got almost 3k on mine and commute 60 miles daily rain or shine. I've had it up to 140 (trying to solve my wobble issue early on - it was the preload and dampener settings) and it is smooth as glass. I don't drive that fast or don't intend to again. I've had 2 other riders following me in a down pour and they both stated that the tire "moves a ton of water". I've taken some pretty significant corners at some good speeds and it sticks like glue.

There is one thing though, for those that have a car tire, try driving in a roadway/alley/driveway that comes to a "V" in the middle. The tire will cause you to oscillate back and forth over that V forever. At low speeds one must really be aware.

I'm hooked on my Hankook and glad I went to the dark side. Now, when do I get my light sabre?

OP
OP
970mike

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Sounds like that tire is working for you Joe! Keep us posted on your likes and dislikes and how many miles you get out of it. You do have to watch the uneven pavement as it will rock your world.

Top Bottom