Another "Heat" Question...

I'm close to pulling the trigger on a leftover '06 non-ABS. But I have a specific question about the heat:

In the summer, I like to wear shorts under my mesh pants. Will the heat be an issue under those circumstances (if I do happen to have a heat problem with my future bike, of course)?

Sorry to bring the issue back up again, boys, but it's my last one before I buy (IF I buy, that is...)...

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I would say no because that is how I ride in the summer months. I do wear boots even in the summer time to protect my feet and ankles from possible impact injury, not for heat protection. Some that ride in casual or tennis shoes may feel more heat across these areas.

Heat is so very subjective. I live in a hot and humid climate and the heat off this bike has never concerned me.

Bike
04 ST1300
STOC #
Always in boots, and never had a problem with too much heat. Rode today at 38f and wish I had a heat problem!
So don't walk, run to the bank and buy the bike. You'll love it!

Last edited:
Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
I've never noticed an objectionable amount of heat. With the fairing extensions, it even seems a little cooler than the stock configuration.

All bikes with fairings channel heat. Some people complain like their ST's are powered by steam but it's no big and I live in Florida.

OP
OP
Thanks for the advice, I appreciate everyone's experience. I always wear my riding boots (ATG, ATT), so I'm hoping it won't be too much of an issue for me. Hopefully, I'll be getting my new bike next week.

Bike
2012 Kawasaki C14
STOC #
I did about 13,000 miles that way last year with mesh pants, shorts underneath, and riding boots. Heat was never an issue for me, but heat is something that varies person to person and bike to bike.

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
It's 1300cc under you crotch. Yeah it makes heat but nothing unreasonable.
Buy it you'll love it. I've seen 102 and humid, it was hot but fine with mesh.

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
The heat will take your mind off worrying about your T-stat failing while you are weaving and wobbling down the road!
Although I have never experienced any of these problems.

OP
OP
The heat will take your mind off worrying about your T-stat failing while you are weaving and wobbling down the road!
Although I have never experienced any of these problems.
I've been lurking on this board long enough to know that you're only HALF kidding! :D

OP
OP
Ok, but I'm coming from a cruiser with a windshield, so I expect to get some cooling from the wind -- does the fairing/windshield combo on the ST keep ALL of the wind off of you (I do like some, especially in the hot summer months)?

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
It won't keep all the wind off of you. The windsheild is fairly low in the down postion as has 2 sets of mounting holes for you preference of more down or more up in the end positions. Highway wings also make for some good ventilation when cruising for your legs.

Bike
Honda ST1300
Don't worry about the heat. Now I know the heat problem that is discussed, but here are a few details, IMHO, which others will contradict.

Keep in mind, I grew up in Wisc. I have somewhat adjusted to Texas heat but not like the natives. I cannot remember noticing the "heat problem" until it is above 90. With a few minor modifications, (and no financial expenditure)the "heat problem" can be eliminated. Last year I wore the Olympia mesh pants over shorts and I was fine, even at 100+ in NEw Mexico.

I am not trying to highjack the thread, but I am interested in the highway wings. I could use more ventilation behind the faring. Where did you get them?

50 mph winds tomorrow. No riding till the wind gets down to something close to normal.

LZ

8-BALL

GeriatricMutantNinja Norwegian
Bike
ST1300 - NT700
STOC #
I'm close to pulling the trigger on a leftover '06 non-ABS. But I have a specific question about the heat:

In the summer, I like to wear shorts under my mesh pants. Will the heat be an issue under those circumstances (if I do happen to have a heat problem with my future bike, of course)?

Sorry to bring the issue back up again, boys, but it's my last one before I buy (IF I buy, that is...)...
Hay! ... Thanks for asking the question.:) I have been riding the ST since '06 with black jeans. I got Tourmaster mesh stuff at the end of last year and thought I would give shorts and the mesh pants a try. I hate long pants after I get off the bike. My main concerned is getting the mesh pants on and off E-Zly (I am 65 and have a bit of a gut.:rolleyes: ) I will be interested in the replies you generate. :D

Heat from the bike has never been much of an issue for me.:cool:

Not an 08, but an 07 non ABS. I ve only got 8k on it so far.:07biker: If you are asking about heat, I've nothing unusual. I've been in 84.

Top Bottom