Another heat shield experiment

Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
While attending the great State Fair of Texas in Oct, I came upon a radiant barrier manufacturer whose material was thin and advertised a 180 degree touch temperature. If it can prevent heat from cooking a home why not a motorcycle. And I liked the idea that it would add no additional bulk. The pictures below show the progression. Gone are the 108 degree Texas temperatures and they have fallen to an average of 60 degrees so it is hard to gauge if this helped at all and could be purely subjective. But the barrier is loose and tucked in so if it doesn't work it is easily removed. I tried to seal all openings where I thought heat might be a problem.

Attachments

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
How about lining the" HOT POCKETS" with this material, would that help?
I took regular alum tape for the fairing pockets and that little has seemed to help with the heat in that area.

OP
OP
nikonhonda
Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #

Attachments

Throttlejockey

Padden is my hero
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
I don't understand ! Being in the Uk, we dont get many scorching hot days. Is this to stop engine heat coming out, or sunshine heat getting in ?

As for pocket heat - i did have that problem and have a partial solution.

At the front of the pocket, i drilled a hole about 1" dia. I had some plastic flexi tube which has large ribs which allow it to be stretched and bent - the sort of tube that we use for waste overflow pipes from kitchen sinks. This is routed with a slight U-bend to the gap in the fairing near the mirror mount. I need photos to describe how it emerges neatly and inobtrusively.

The u-bend traps any driven rain water, and a small hole in the bottom of the u-bend allows it to escape. Evaporation takes care of the rest ! A hole in the back of the pocket provided for electronic bits and pieces provides adequate exhaust.

The idea is taken from the cooling duct for the fuel cut-off valve on the right hand side of the St1100.

It certainly keeps the pocket very much cooler when moving.

I'll post photos if anyone is interested - but it will have to wait until next time i take the left cowl off.

OP
OP
nikonhonda
Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
Slight modification, laying a rubber pad over the coils to prevent any potential shorting, I extended the barrier to the fairing panels instead of tucking between frame and airbox. This closes more openings.

Attachments

OP
OP
nikonhonda
Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
The temperature in Dallas /Ft. Worth has risen to the mid 90s and I think the radiant barrier works. Certainly the heat is there downstairs but around the tank it seems "cooler." Not much perceived heat emitting to the body. I'm happy with the results.

Bike
ST1300
I live in Mesa AZ. I used the radiant barrier under my seat as we are now at temps of 112 degrees f. It made a huge difference. Again I just added/stuck it to the underside of the seat closets to the gas tank and ran it back about 7 inches. Then I took a very hot 111 degree 90 min ride I did not feel that uncomfortably HOT heat riding my st1300. I'm very happy. Thanks nikonhonda good call.

Last edited:
Top Bottom