Another Post about ST's Heat

There weeks a group of us went riding through the mountains of West Virginia over a long weekend. It was my first trip with the ST. Temperatures ranged from 57 degrees F to 88 degrees.

No matter what the temperature was, I was very pleased to find that the "heat problem" that some people experience on their ST's did not seem to be an issue on my bike at all.

After a while, I switched bikes with a buddy for about 50 miles. After he got off, he said there is no way he could ride that bike for long because it was just too hot for him.

I guess the heat issue may be a very subjective thing!

I don't think you will see a heat problem until the ambient goes over 95F. As an engine cooled by a radiator system heats up the temperature of the exhaust air heats up as well. Once the ambient temp goes over 95 degrees or so, the temperature of the air starts to reach the point where it is noticable. Over 105 degrees the air hitting your legs is uncomfortable, Once the ambient is over 110 degrees you can get burned with enough prolonged exposure. Two weeks ago I was commuting in my Mesh pants and boots. The boots went just over my ankles, and the socks just about a half an inch higher. Long Story.. I had a red and sore patch about 4 inches in diameter at the break of my calf, on both legs. By the evening two small blisters on the right leg. Now I make sure to wear long heavy socks when I'm riding with shorts under my Mesh. If I'm wearing jeans, or heavy socks it just gets hot. There is some good info in the following thread. You'll also see that I am pretty slow to figure things out.

https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13990

ShinySideUpAZ Now I make sure to wear long heavy socks when I'm riding with shorts under my Mesh. If I'm wearing jeans said:
https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13990[/url]

Your link includes an article, and at the very end he mentiones that even an aerostich suit may not be enough. Granted, the author was driving a different bike, but I find it hard to belive that people get second degree burns on the bike in his article, otherwise no one would be able to drive it.

You can find it hard to believe, but I ended up with two blisters. If you don't live or drive in over 110 degree heat, you won't ever see it, but here in Phoenix, 110 is a daily commute for three months out of the year. Both AZST and I drove in 120 degree ambient while stuck in stop and go traffic downtown in the last month.

BTW I was stationed in South Carolina twenty years ago while driving a Silverwing, and I would rather drive in Phoenix 115+ then SC 90 degree and 100% humidity.

Last edited:
I feel your heat!!! and pain!!!

I have removed the inner fairing and it made a difference to the point that I will be drilling holes in the fairing and replacing it to see if this will be as effective without leaving the upper cowling without support.

I must say that it has been nice to have the access to the front of the bike while doing some other farkle work including horn installation and kisan flashers.

I will be adding some heat shield to the left box and try to seal the lower cowling from blow by... any other 'fixes' for this non-existant problem.

I find it fascinating that despite photo's and many, many, many reports of 'heat' problems that there are still many who since they do not experience the issue presume that the others are what, "making it up??!!"...

Get IT?!!! there is a probelm for some riders with these bikes if you continue to be dull to this it might cause one to 'flame' on your insenstitivity... as a matter of fact that may be why you're not feeling the heat either, the dullness has reached all the way down to your shins... get it? there's a problem with these bikes with some riders...
Get It!!!!???

ShinySideUpAZ said:
I don't think you will see a heat problem until the ambient goes over 95F. As an engine cooled by a radiator system heats up the temperature of the exhaust air heats up as well. Once the ambient temp goes over 95 degrees or so, the temperature of the air starts to reach the point where it is noticable. Over 105 degrees the air hitting your legs is uncomfortable, Once the ambient is over 110 degrees you can get burned with enough prolonged exposure. Two weeks ago I was commuting in my Mesh pants and boots. The boots went just over my ankles, and the socks just about a half an inch higher. Long Story.. I had a red and sore patch about 4 inches in diameter at the break of my calf, on both legs. By the evening two small blisters on the right leg. Now I make sure to wear long heavy socks when I'm riding with shorts under my Mesh. If I'm wearing jeans, or heavy socks it just gets hot. There is some good info in the following thread. You'll also see that I am pretty slow to figure things out.

https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13990

Yeah, I'll buy this. I really haven't noticed heat coming off of the ST in the time I've had it, but Minnesota summers tend to fall between 75-85?F on average. We've hit some 95? days, and at that point, the ST feels warm. Heck, everything feels warm at that temp.

OK I notice the heat when riding sqid style after coming off the superslab. Also after getting on her a little then backing off at a slower speed . Its no big deal just move your legs away from the bike a bit and turn your feet outward for a few and the heat will not bother you anymore. If you decide not to maybe you have watched "Worlds Fastest Indian" to many times;)

I would like to hear if anyone from areas that routinely see 100+ heat does not see a problem. Again I am not uncomfortable when the Ambient is less that 95 degrees. In fact when the temps are below 70 I find the heat from the engine pleasent and welcome.

I see 100+ heat index, factoring in humidity... 98+ days without... ;) I ride everyday... full mesh gear... Houston traffic... I don't have a problem ;) Hot is hot :)

sherob said:
I see 100+ heat index, factoring in humidity... 98+ days without... ;) I ride everyday... full mesh gear... Houston traffic... I don't have a problem ;) Hot is hot :)

Yeah,,,,I hose down my tee-shirt in the bathroom before I leave work :D . Have to admit I like riding in the 30's better than riding in the 90's. Still ride though. Haven't been in my truck in 6 months. Hope it starts when I need it. If I stay out of it for a year, that'll be a record. And I don't have a "heat" issue or a "weaving" issue with my ST.

Last edited:
Hot Engine Vs Cooler Running Engine

On the Meet and Greet ride to Fat Cats one of the things that was talked about was heat. There was an observation made that some bikes have the exhaust pipes turning more blue than others. It was reasoned that the ones with blue pipes must be running hotter.

One of the quetions posed was along the lines of what are the color of the pipes with regard to those who have an issue with heat vs those that don't have an issue with heat.

Part of the discussion also dealt with why the hotter running engine. Was it because they were running leaner, not running 91 octane or better gas or something else.

Food for thought.

ShinySideUpAZ said:
I would rather drive in Phoenix 115+ then SC 90 degree and 100% humidity.

deal.gif
knary.gif
nod.gif

I ride in MO and we have 100F through July and August. It's hot. It's hot on the ST, it's hot on a 'busa, it's hot on an FJR, and it's hot on all the wings that we ride circles around. It's hot on all the 600cc sport bikes, it's hot on the mopeds, vespas, silver wings, and on my kid's huffy. Hot is hot.

I lived in Tucson for seven years. I rode a '78 Suzuki GS-550e and an '81 Kawasaki CSR 650. Touching any metal part when it was 120F out was enough to get you a second degree burn through jeans. This does not mean the bike has a heat problem. I suppose this will sound insensitive, but if you can't stand the heat, perhaps you should get out of it? There were plenty of times last summer that I took the cage because it was air conditioned better than the ST - and I never saw anything over 105F.

danf said:
I ride in MO and we have 100F through July and August. It's hot. It's hot on the ST, it's hot on a 'busa, it's hot on an FJR, and it's hot on all the wings that we ride circles around. It's hot on all the 600cc sport bikes, it's hot on the mopeds, vespas, silver wings, and on my kid's huffy. Hot is hot.

I lived in Tucson for seven years. I rode a '78 Suzuki GS-550e and an '81 Kawasaki CSR 650. Touching any metal part when it was 120F out was enough to get you a second degree burn through jeans. This does not mean the bike has a heat problem. I suppose this will sound insensitive, but if you can't stand the heat, perhaps you should get out of it? There were plenty of times last summer that I took the cage because it was air conditioned better than the ST - and I never saw anything over 105F.
AMEN, everybody is different. Some can take the heat others can't. Like the man said if you can't take the heat in the kitchen......

Quote from ShinySideUpAZ
I would like to hear if anyone from areas that routinely see 100+ heat does not see a problem. Again I am not uncomfortable when the Ambient is less that 95 degrees. In fact when the temps are below 70 I find the heat from the engine pleasent and welcome.

OK, OK, I am one of the insensitive types. 3 ex wives will concur fully on that score. And at least one would tell you that my insensitivity went all the way to my toes. But..

I didn't feel the heat 'til it got over about 105, here. Now I do get it. I am not so sure it is worse than any other full fairing bike I have ridden, but I have felt heat that is more than it seems it should be. I wear summer weight gloves all the time here, a bike left in the sun can give you 2nd degree burns from the controls. Air management could be a lot better. At speeds, it is negligible for me, but stop and go is a challenge. Not that I don't ride, I do. But I sure as heck plan better than when it is 80. What to wear, route to ride, time of day, etc.

My Yamaha Venture Royale had vent doors in the side fairings. You could open them to get some more heat on your legs...didn't stop all the heat, mind you, but you could turn on the heater on a cold day...like 75F or whatever:)

A comment on Humidity and heat Index, it's a physics thing. Engines don't experience heat index. In fact an engine actually runs cooler in high humidity environments. I spent eight years working as a test engineer for a major car maker, this has been studied. (Heavy humid air operates thru the fan more efficiently, and the capacity for wet air to absorb energy is greater that dry air. Wet air has a greater mass per unit volume.) Excluding this small effect, the temperature of the air exhausting from the radiator increases with ambient temperature relatively independant of humidity. A bike operating in 90 degrees ambient and 100% humidity is not going to be heating the radiator exhaust air to the same level as a bike in 100 degrees ambient and 15% humidity. If you don't drive in 105+ ambient conditions you may not have experienced heat issues. I have driven a busa in 110 degrees and did not experience heat like on the ST. I have driven a 1100 yamaha V-Twin, and did not see the heat. I love my ST, but it does get hotter than any other bike I have ridden in the last 30 years.

I live in southern New Hampshire. The temps lately have been running in the high 80s. Whenever it gets over 75, I can feel heat. When it gets over 80, it can feel too warm. High 80s and low 90s, it is definately warm. It also depends on what I'm wearing. If I'm just wearing jeans and sneakers with the socks that don't extend past the top of your shoes, then you can really feel the heat - uncomfortable. Hang your feet off the pegs and they'll cool right off. Wearing my Oxtar boots eliminates the heat issue to a point, cause having boots on when its 90+ degrees is really warm. My Ducati Multistrada was hotter in slow traffic when it was 85+ then the ST. A little cooler at high temps would be nice, but won't stop me from enjoying everything else about this bike. I just drove home in the pouring rain, nice and warm and dry. Gotta Loveit.

Dean

Like that which has been said before, yesterday, Ambient was 106, got blisters on the shins. The heat coming off the bike was unbearable, no matter which way I turned my feet, knees into the wind, whatever. Went from Hemet, CA, back to Orange county over the Ortega highway, reached the top, ambient fell to 93, no more heat problems on the legs. I too believe there is a heat problem with this bike!!!

I have to concur with Mark,

When I ride this bike in temps over 105 it is hot, over 110 it is miserable. Like Mark I ride everyday to work here in Phoenix

Just spent a week in South Dakota riding in temps from the high 50's to mid 70's and it was great, never noticed the heat problem. Rode home from Flagstaff on Sunday temps got to 102 and it wasn't bad but could tell it was starting to get warm.

For the last couple of weeks here in Sacramento I have been commuting in 90-95+ heat, and the only time I really noticed the heat is the one day I decided to ride without my chaps over my jeans. Seems the chaps and my Redwing 969 boots also act as a pretty effective heat shield :D

Dave :usflag1:

Top Bottom