another Sonic report - all good so far

Bike
ST1300 '08
another Sonic report - impact on tire performance?

FWIW, just did the 1.2 Sonic Springs with the lightweight oil, per Rich's recommendation. I am 175 and I suppose my riding style is medium.. Not too stodgy but no show-off either.

so far great. riding to work this morning, the word that came to mind is "quiet," in that the front end just doesn't do anything. I was OK before; I never thought it sucked or anything, but after renting an Electraglide and experiencing a really lousy suspension, I figured I'd put a few bucks into the ST and go for it. So now, it's just secure and planted and tracks and seems to be less effected by wind. and as others have said, I now feel that the rear needs a tweak or maybe an upgrade now that the front is so "quiet." and the ride is not hard or harsh. smooth and responsive but no dive or mush or jittery corners or such. just nice secure tracking.

the only difficulty was in getting the MCL risers off.. one of the nuts on the underside was frozen and tough to get to. With a Craftsman "stubby" wrench I got it off just fine, no big drama. The rest of the operation was, take it apart, swap out the oil and springs, cut the tubing (band saw, no sweat), reassemble. No tupperware removed except front fender.

anyway - another great mod from Rich and not pricey. Bike is improved as desired - total cost, with oil and shipping was a tad over $100.

OP
OP
Bike
ST1300 '08
Re: another Sonic report - impact on tire performance

I recently added a PR2 to the front... had one on the rear already. When I read about "squirmy" PR2's on the front I dismissed those reports until I felt it on my bike once I got a PR2 on the front. Just added the Sonics, squirm gone.. Also, never felt that before with stock Battle Axe on the front. Wondering if more reactive tire shows weakness in stock front end more?? With improved front end PR2's are now squirmless, and of course overall tracking is more secure, including in the OK crosswinds. I am hoping that tire wear is improved as an additional benefit - as the front won't dance around so much. Am I on to something here or is this coincidence or psychological?

Bike
2004 ST1300
Re: another Sonic report - impact on tire performance

I too have a little bit of jittery action in the front end. Even when simply going straight on a a fairly smooth road. With 8k on the OEM tires it's time to up-grade. Most sales around Ventura/Santa Barbara are Bridgestone 023 so I was going to try a set of those. Second, been toying with the idea of new 1.2kg sonics. I'm 215# and everything I read seems to say that the ST is under-sprung for my weight. Thanks for the post...I'm going to buy a set and fresh oil as well.

OP
OP
Bike
ST1300 '08
IMO it's simple, fun to tear into the bike and improve it, and you will really like the difference. Cost is modest considering the money many of us put into the bikes we own. enjoy -

Top Bottom