anti-dive issue

Bike
1992 ST1100
STOC #
My friend and I replaced my fork seals Saturday and while we had the left fork apart we removed the anti-dive to check it. We found the o-ring that was supposed to be on the shaft side of the piston was all wrapped up in the spring on the other side of the piston. The rubber seal at the end of the piston we found in the bottom of the fork tube and it was all buggered up. We put it back together as best as possible and ordered the new parts. The forks work much better when braking now, the front only dips about a 1/2 inch as compared to about 3 inches before we disassembled the unit. I'll have to remove the anti dive when the new parts come in , but I don't think I'll have to remove the fork and take it apart to replace the anti-dive. Anyone ever encounter an issue like this?

I took my forks apart today, and found a broken rubber seal in the bottom of the fork tube. I cant account for it but for the seal in the anti dive which was missing. I have new seals on order and will see how it goes together next week.

Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
I ran out of maintenance time last winter to rehab my forks. My front end definitely dives when I brake hard. I'll have to look for these issues next winter when I tear into them.

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
I ran out of maintenance time last winter to rehab my forks. My front end definitely dives when I brake hard. I'll have to look for these issues next winter when I tear into them.
Mine does the same thing. Now that the lift is freed up I think I will have to toss it up there and look at this. I also have valve checks to do.

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
I just finished a fork seals R&R on my 91 SSMST a few days ago @162K, ~100K on the old seals. Slight leak on the left fork. When I cleaned that one's slider I found a 1/4" sliver from the anti-dive unit's 'piston' seal in it. Replaced the piston (the seal's not a separate part) and all the other rubber parts, plus the collar, split ring, and nylon bushing in the collar.

Another data point from a high mileage ST. FWIW

John

Last edited:

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Never had an issue on the anti-dive yet... probably due me being a bit anal about type/quality of fork oil and keen on replacement intervals...

Top Bottom