Any CABG veterans on the Board?

Bike
2007 ST1300A
I just joined the club on March 1, 2019.

CABGx3

Anyone else here part of this exclusive club, and if so, any riding experiences to share?

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I've never been a fan of cabbage 'cept in 'slaw. Ok not the same thing now that I looked it up.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
I just joined the club on March 1, 2019.

CABGx3

Anyone else here part of this exclusive club, and if so, any riding experiences to share?

Rather than sharing riding experiences, how about you share your lifestyle experience that got you to this place? That would be most informative for others to learn from.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
I was hoping the CAB part stood for Calgary, AB and the Gx3 was some type of riding organization, but no such luck. It searched out to what I first suspected, based on the x3 part referring to triple. Best wishes with your recovery.

OP
OP
Kottbullar
Bike
2007 ST1300A
Family history and ageing were primarily what got me here.

And as part of the process, they separate and re-connect the sternum. So, i'm curious if others have felt/experienced anything post-CABG

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Family history and ageing were primarily what got me here.

And as part of the process, they separate and re-connect the sternum. So, i'm curious if others have felt/experienced anything post-CABG
FWIW, my dad had that procedure and lived another 30 years, finally something else did him in besides his heart. He said his cardiologist always told him that would be what happened, turns out he was right. He didn't ride though, so I can't comment on whether or not the procedure has any negative effect on that activity.

fnmag

R.I.P. - 2020
Rest In Peace
Bike
'06 ST1300/Burgmn400
I think you'll find many riders here have eaten the cabbage.
You should have stopped hugging the pillow by late March.
Best of luck with your new life.

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
I have not eaten the CABG (hope never to), but as long as the sternum is well healed and you can handle the bike, then consider it as new plumbing that should be good for a very long time. I guess the only other concern would be the use of blood thinners while riding if you’re taking one. I’m of the mindset you can slip and fall right at home vs falling off the bike. So long as your cardiac surgeon/ cardiologist see no reason not to ride, I wouldn’t worry too much.

fnmag

R.I.P. - 2020
Rest In Peace
Bike
'06 ST1300/Burgmn400
I have not eaten the CABG (hope never to), but as long as the sternum is well healed and you can handle the bike, then consider it as new plumbing that should be good for a very long time. I guess the only other concern would be the use of blood thinners while riding if you’re taking one. I’m of the mindset you can slip and fall right at home vs falling off the bike. So long as your cardiac surgeon/ cardiologist see no reason not to ride, I wouldn’t worry too much.
To ad on to the good doctor's advice.
Be careful if you're on BP meds. There are numerous side effects that some people endure.
I've found sleepiness to be a side effect that can be deadly on a motorcycle.
I'm sure your cardiologist has given instructions as to food and exercise.
All the best.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Someone very close to me has had her chest cracked 4 times. She jokes sometimes they should have put in a zipper. Attitude and perseverance in rehabilitation are most important and to believe that you will heal.

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
Although his riding days were over by then, my Dad had a quad bypass when in his mid 70s. He lived to be 92 and was relatively active until about 90.

He also had a heart valve replaced, at about age 85.

Bike
2010 ST1300
A friend of mine had a 4 roughly 10 years ago. He told me it took about a year to feel like he was 100% back. He was up and walking almost immediately, and working out within a few months, but I have to assume the little things don't go away for a while. Best of luck on your recovery.

Bike
WeeStrom/ST1300
I had a quadruple, 2 years ago. Long recovery overall, but I was riding some after 6 weeks.....just out of stubbornness. I still have twinges in my sternum when coughing, breathing deep, etc. I was riding a heavy Kawi Voyager XII back then, so I realize I was pushing it, but I was missing out on perfect riding weather (july) 6 weeks is also when I started feeling better. Up to that point,I was getting a bit depressed cuz I was beginning to think I'd never feel normal again. I really think it helped my recovery to get back in the saddle. But I'm not recommending others ride that soon. You've gotta realize what "could" happen in an impact. The sternum is the worst part by far, so needing it wired up again would really suck! Get used to the feeling in your sternum, cuz you're gonna have it for a loooong time.

Bike
WeeStrom/ST1300
lol,... I still have my pillow. That thing was my best friend for the first month!

OP
OP
Kottbullar
Bike
2007 ST1300A
Thanks FN.. As an FYI, i now hug the pillow because I LIKE it, not because I need to ....

:D

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
dduelin said:
chest cracked
That's the term I've heard casually tossed about by medicos in the field (not about me!) and it gives me the gollywobbles just to think about it.

I will write on the blackboard 500 times — sternum separated.

fnmag

R.I.P. - 2020
Rest In Peace
Bike
'06 ST1300/Burgmn400
That's the term I've heard casually tossed about by medicos in the field (not about me!) and it gives me the gollywobbles just to think about it.

I will write on the blackboard 500 times — sternum separated.
Not to worry. 'Tis a right of passage to the Golden Years. :old1:

Bike
97 ST1100A
STOC #
Relax, triple nearly nine years ago. Follow the doctors orders, do cardiac rehab and pt. Biggest concern was picking it up if dropped. But had the same concern before and after. Just smile big once you have the chance to ride again; I have for the last 80,000+.

OP
OP
Kottbullar
Bike
2007 ST1300A
Thanks guys for the insights.

My brother (who is a Dr. Of Internal Medicine) had to be reminded repeatedly: there will be no cracking of ANYTHING!!

Had a great consult with my family Dr. a couple of weeks ago. We talked about risk tolerance instead of timelines. And we agreed that I’ll be comfortable getting back on the STeed at about 90% of pre-surgery sternum strength .... so it’s looks like on or about June 1 for me ..... and just in time for WeSTOC which is being held in this fair city .....

fnmag

R.I.P. - 2020
Rest In Peace
Bike
'06 ST1300/Burgmn400
Thanks guys for the insights.

My brother (who is a Dr. Of Internal Medicine) had to be reminded repeatedly: there will be no cracking of ANYTHING!!

Had a great consult with my family Dr. a couple of weeks ago. We talked about risk tolerance instead of timelines. And we agreed that I’ll be comfortable getting back on the STeed at about 90% of pre-surgery sternum strength .... so it’s looks like on or about June 1 for me ..... and just in time for WeSTOC which is being held in this fair city .....
Can't think of a better way to celebrate your new lease.
Have a great WeSTOC.

Top Bottom