Any diabetics out there?

Bike
98 ST1100
STOC #
Was wondering if any fellow riders are diabetic and how they keep insulin cool while traveling on their bikes.

Hound

Cave Canem
Bike
2004 ST1300PA
STOC #
Diabetic, but not insulin-dependent (Metformin modified-release tablets). But the insulin day may come, so I'll be interested in other folks' replies...

Bike
v-rod
STOC #
Was wondering if any fellow riders are diabetic and how they keep insulin cool while traveling on their bikes.
Been diabetic since 1979, and I don't even try to keep my insulin cool. I have not noticed any degredation in my insulin over time with non-cooled insulin.

sherob

Old Herder of cats.
Bike
21 HD FLHXS (SGS)
STOC #
Not diabetic... married to a Diabetes Case Manager/Educator ;)

Just asked the wife the question... response...

Once insulin is opened it can remain at room temp for 30 days (they say
28 but who really cares right). It needs to be in a little ice chest ,
insulated little thing (they make them for insulin) if it's going to be
hot.

Last edited:
Bike
97 ST11/06 ST13A
STOC #
I have sent Tim Graham a note to post a picture. He has the best thing I have seen. It operates on evaporation. You soak it over night and it works all day.

Non insulin dependent Diabetic for me and trying to stay that way as long as possible.

OP
OP
kanem
Bike
98 ST1100
STOC #
Hey Lowrider,

Where are you on the Eastern Shore? My sister lives in Pocomoke City and my folks live in Lewes, DE. I'll be up that way in June.

Mike Kane

ST_Jim

In the Hotel California...
Bike
2004 ST1300ABS
STOC #
Not diabetic... married to a Diabetes Case Manager/Educator ;)

Just asked the wife the question... response...

Once insulin is opened it can remain at room temp for 30 days (they say
28 but who really cares right). It needs to be in a little ice chest ,
insulated little thing (they make them for insulin) if it's going to be
hot.
+1. Don't get too paranoid. Just don't put it in the dash pockets of an ST1300.;)

I'm saying this based as an electronics guy who designs insulin pumps, not as a health care professional or a diabetic. The fun is trying to get insulin in implantable pumps to last months at 98 degrees. A few days in a vial isn't a big deal. Just don't abuse it.

- Jim :04biker:

STOC #
I've been a Type I, insulin-dependent diabetic since 1962 (can that really be 46 years??). Summer trips can do serious damage to and compromise the quality of the types of insulin requiring refrigeration--specifically, levimir and lantus, both of which are 24-hr. acting, basal insulins usually taken before bedtime. Two small freezer packs (portable icemen) go into an insulated zippered bag with the insulin, and manage to stay quite cold through the end of the day (I usually bury the bag in the middle of some clothes in one of the saddlebags to help insulate them during hot weather). The freezer packs get re-frozen in each night's motel refrigerator (those who camp might do best staying in organized campgrounds with a refrigerator/freezer available). The Novopen with my Humalog Lispro fast-acting insulin goes into a smaller, insulated bag without any ice packs (unless crossing the Mohave at high noon), and gets thrown into the tank bag along with the blood-sugar test kit for easy access before each meal.

All insulin-dependent diabetics should make a practice of trying to keep the blood sugars from dropping too much at all times, but especially while riding (or driving), meaning it's important to do frequent blood sugar tests while on the road. And having a source of quickly-absorbed carbohydrates handy is also important (I use instant glucose tablets, carried in a travel tube), for when the symptoms of low blood sugar make themselves known. Having some hard candy to suck on also helps in preventing low blood sugar from sneaking up and doing bad things. Around 15 years ago, I managed to ride my BMW 3 miles in the wrong direction on a 4-lane, divided highway (against traffic), just following the center stripe while cars were whizzing by on both sides of me, when the blood sugar had dropped below 24 milligrams per deciliter. I lucked out while stopped at a red light when a passing pedestrian recognized "there's something wrong with this guy" and convinced me to get off the bike and walked me and the bike over to the side of the road, where a rescue ambulance showed up a few minutes later and gave me an IV of glucogon. Could have turned out much worse!

Bike
ST 1300
STOC #
Hey Lowrider,

Where are you on the Eastern Shore? My sister lives in Pocomoke City and my folks live in Lewes, DE. I'll be up that way in June.

Mike Kane
Hey Mike,

I'm just West of Centreville...about 20 miles East of the Bay Bridge. Depending upon when you show up here in June, you're more than welcome to stop by for a bit. We're going to the Hoot and then spend a week in TN and NC riding the back roads. Let me know when you plan on being up this way.

Joe

OP
OP
kanem
Bike
98 ST1100
STOC #
Bridgeman,
We had a gentleman here locally that had the low blood sugar thing happen to him while driving a couple days ago. Flattened a couple of tires on curbs before they got him stopped and treated. Fortunately no one was hurt.
Rant on: You should have seen all the ignorant comments posted on the local news rags website though. One really got me when it inferred that "people inder the influence of diabetes maybe shouldn't be driving". I wanted to scream that maybe people under the influence of cell phones shouldn't be driving! Rant off.
Thanks for the input though. I will be making my first trip in early June since I made the move to Humalog/Lantus.

Bike
2003 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
Here is what I use:

http://www.friouk.com/

They have many places in Canada and the US that sell them so check under distributors.

I have been a type 1 diabetic for 29 years now and logged 153,000kms on a motorcycle since 2002. Most of those were two up. Two up makes packing more interesting and we tried the ice pack small cooler thing early on and it just didn't work. I think I have been using the Frio for about 3 years now and it works as advertised.

I like to stop every 2.5 hours or so for a 15 minute break to test blood sugar levels, small snack, drink and tiny short walk to get the blood moving in my legs again. I have done several 1000 mile days using that method and it seems to work well for me.

I switch up my insulin types when riding, I have really liked the results of Levemir? while riding because it helps keep my blood sugar levels in check during the day and then I use Humalog fast acting to cover the bigger meal times. The Doctor told me that Levemir? lasts 24 hours but hourly blood test results shows it covers me for about 12 hours and then starts to drop off fast. The Doctor also told me that Humalog lasts two hours but I can tell you with hourly blood tests it is more like 5 to 6 hours.

I keep the Frio in the top box and it has the added effect of keeping the Insulin well shaken.

Sorry for the delay, Bruce emailed me about this awhile ago but I have been so busy at work I had forgot about it until today.

Tim :03biker:

I too am a type 1 diabetic. It's been about 4 years since diagnoised. I am currently using the pump and all is well. I use a little cooler / refreezable pack made specically for the small insulin bottles.I don't think it matters if it gets warm but I would want to let it get extemely hot...dito for the pen which I used prior to the pump.I've noticed that I tend to run higher numbers B/S when on all day rides,must be due to the in activity...Which I can adjust using the pump temporary basil adjust.As with being a good diabetic it's always a good habit to check often ,not just at meals or when you feel funny!!!! my 2 cents Jason

mstgsaly269

R.I.P.
Rest In Peace
Bike
2006 Silverwing
I don't refrigerate mine once it is open, I carry my insulin( both I should say) Lantis and humalog inside my meter case along with my test strips and needles, I also have a tiny spot to put a few pills of my metformin in too. sadly to say I have to take meds and 2 types of insulin and it still doesn't take well , my body fight all of them. only side affect I've got from being a diebetic is diebetic neropathy(spelling) I have it in my legs and feet, sometime days are worse than others. Other than that my eyes are still perfect and my kidneys are wonderful. My doctor has decided that my body is use to my sugar levels being high, no matter how much meds I take, how I watch my food, sugars etc, I have never been under 180, they normaly run between 200-250.

Bike
2004 ST1300 ABS
It may depend on the kind of insulin you use, but I have never had an issue with heat, even while traveling in the desert in the summertime without any cooling (NPH or Humalog). For those who use insulin pumps under their clothes, the insulin cartridge rests against your body at close to 98 degrees, 24 hrs. a day, and does not degrade at all.

I wouldn't worry about the heat at all, other than common sense things like keeping it out of really hot places. You should be OK just storing it in your topcase or panniers, even without a cooling pack.

Mandel

STOC #
going on two years ,tipe 2,no insulin yet and hope to keep it that way with diet as long as possible,One of my rideing buddies,has tipe 1,and he has a pouch he carries in his vest...
And when we get toghther we give one another a high five for the diabetes club,Pray for our ride,and off we go...
Dean..

Top Bottom