Any Dunlop Lovers Out There?

crazykz

R.I.P. - 2012/06/16
Rest In Peace
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
Hey there,

Well it was the only tire I could get at the dealer that helped me out with a tire on the Iron Butt Rally. It was a Dunlop. It was my absolute last choice but it was the only they had in stock.

Take a look at the outer tread flaring out. The rubber is tapered down until it gets to the tread groove and then the other side is flared out. This tire probably has less than 4000 miles on it.

I've got a set of used Pilot Roads with 5000+ on them that look brand new compared to the Dunlop. I think this is the evidence I never wanted to see on my bike which was the reason I never wanted to run a Dunlop.

Curt

BTW: BIG KUDOS TO WILSON'S MOTORCYCLES IN FRESNO!!!

Attachments

BILLP117

R.I.P. - 2012/05/28
Rest In Peace
Bike
ST1300-ABS
STOC #
What was PSI inflation for this tire? The Dunlop D205's work fine for me...but you need about 40 lbs PSI.

Guess this model of Dunlop tire did not work very well.

Bill Pratt

thumperjdm

Naty Von Ozirisz 1997-2011
Bike
'15 Trophy SE
Curt, how about telling us what you're talking about. BT020, BT021 or some other Dunlop. If it was a BT020 was it the OEM F version. Most motorcycle shops don't carry the F version. You would be lucky to get 4-5K out of an non F version.

I have never failed to get at least 10,000 miles out of a BT020 F. In 32K miles I haven't ever had anything on my 05 but BT020's. When I heard they might quit making the BT020 I ordered a set and have them stored.

Phil
Funny, Bridgestone also makes a series of tires called BT020 and BT021...:rolleyes:

Oh, and my bike came with Dunlop D220's...and I hated them.

I now have Bridgestone BT021's...and love them.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
That is a pretty strange wear pattern. Seems like something you'd see on underinflated car tires. I had pretty good luck with K491s on my Vulcan, but I never gave them the same kind of workout that the ones on my ST get.

It's interesting to note that below the fitment charts for all of their high-performance tires is the following note:

Do not mix these radials with other radials or non-radials, fit only in pairs.
Maybe the profile of whatever you were running on the front contributed to it...?

--Mark

OP
OP
crazykz

crazykz

R.I.P. - 2012/06/16
Rest In Peace
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
BT020, BT021 are Bridgestone models. These are the D220 ST's from Dunlop.

I thought that the tire was under inflated and they were. They had 41 pounds in them. I started them at 42 and they lost a pound over the last 4000 miles.

Maybe the 220 isn't a sport touring tire but it does have the ST designator on it.

If 1 pound of air makes that much of a difference or running a Pilot Road on the front makes that much difference on how the rear behaves then I'll stay with a tire that's a little more tolerant to less than ideal conditions.

Curt

ST1300 Alicia

aka GSA Girl & KLR Girl
Site Supporter
Bike
BMW R1200GSA
Those D220's look just like mine. The only thing they did WORSE than Wearing Uneven was that they Handled like $H!T. I got 10K miles out of them. I almost sold the bike, because I could not believe that Tires Could Ruin the way a Bike Rode! I put the Metzler's on and I will now keep the bike. I'm looking at adding a KLR650 to my stable and they have Dunlops. I might change them out without even ridding them after my experience with the D220's.

I've only got 2k on my ST which has OEM Dunlop Sportmax onboard.

I've been perfectly happy with their handling and ride so far, albeit no wet riding at all.

I've used other than Dunlop on my 86 Magna and always came back to Dunlop.

Not saying there aren't better tires out there, but they've always been good for me.

*shrugs shoulders*

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
I almost sold the bike, because I could not believe that Tires Could Ruin the way a Bike Rode!
Amazing, innit? After correcting my installed-backwards BT020 on the front, it was like getting a whole new bike. I was actually beginning to worry that my ability to ride was going down the cr*pper. Ask Gene about the difference in my riding between two outings ago and our last ride. (And Dennis, if you're reading this, that was the cause of my problems during the Clearfield trip.)

I can't say that. :eek:
That was perhaps more than I needed to know.
wetsuit.jpg

--Mark

Bike
still deciding
STOC #
Sorry about my confusing Dunlop with Bridgestone :eek: I shouldn't be entering stuff late at night. :(

Having said that OEM Dunlop D220's usually last over 10,000 miles. D205's on my ST1100 used to also last over 10k.

Phil

georgiast

Failure is NOT an option...
Timely post for me.

Got a new D205 Sportmax rear about to arrive UPS today.

I am on the last of the previous one with only about 4500 miles.

One reason I got another one is to match the front which is only about 1/3 worn out. I replaced both front and rear right after I got the bike.

It is what the PO had on it, and he was a much more experienced rider than I, so there you go.

I will likely try another brand when these go. Would kinda like to get at least 6-7K out of a set....

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
Curt,
Interesting..... I'm wondering if the Dunlops would've faired better if you increased the psi about 2-4 lbs. Due to the extra weight you were carrying on the IB trip. I do because of my extra weight. (I read it somewhere off a psi to weight ratio chart.)

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Curt,
Interesting..... I'm wondering if the Dunlops would've faired better if you increased the psi about 2-4 lbs. Due to the extra weight you were carrying on the IB trip. I do because of my extra weight. (I read it somewhere off a psi to weight ratio chart.)
Hmmm...you may not be typical in that regard, Al, since any extra weight you're carrying is translated directly into wry wit and dry humor. How much can that weigh, really?

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
Hmmm...you may not be typical in that regard, Al, since any extra weight you're carrying is translated directly into wry wit and dry humor. How much can that weigh, really?
They don't call me Big Al for nothing! :D

Top Bottom