Any reason NOT to buy BMW K1600?

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
I think that you'll be very happy with the BMW as a large, heavy, touring bike with relatively good power and handling for a bike its size.

From an ownership perspective, do you intend to do routine maintenance on any bike that you purchase or is the dealer going to do this for you. If you've always had the dealer do things then just continue on and it is my impression that the service costs will be higher than average. If you do most service yourself then I think you'll find the BMW the 1600 is very complex to work on, but that would probably be true of a Gold Wing as well.

mlheck

Site Supporter
Bike
'18 BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
Don't be afraid of the K1600 forum. There are several former ST owners there, myself included. I have a '18 GTL and love it. I've put about 30k miles in it so far. It did have a transmission recall, but that was sorted out with little effort. Like this forum there are many that do their own service on the K1600 forum. There is lots of advice to be found there.

You will need to buy some torx bits though, as there isn't a allen head bolt to be found on them.

Bulitt

Flori-Duh-Man
Bike
1200GS, 18 Wing DCT
Think in terms of trust. Why not buy the most trustworthy machine available? If it isn't obvious, that would be Honda - Goldwing! ;)
I am with ya there. I have owned a lot of beemers over the years and had pretty good luck with all of them in terms or reliability but Honda’s are hard to beat. I know the K16 has more power but, I don’t think I have ever thought to myself.... “gee, I wish my gold wing had more horsepower”. In real world riding, it does the job well!

D199AE2B-CFBA-4D63-BE61-2C1C5EE0F85D.jpeg

STOC #
One of my cars was a 66 VW Beetle with 50 hp, and it took myself and my new wife halfway across the USA and back. And you need what to go down the freeway? On two wheels? That VW Beetle had a 1600cc engine. With 50 hp. And what do you "need"?

When I looked at my current bike, I considered the weight. I like to take pictures to share where I've been. But I knew with the bike I had at 570 lbs, I'd already passed up numerous stops simply because of the weight. And the bike you're considering is easily a hundred pounds more.

I've been riding a bike with a wet weight of 470 lbs. for the last several years and 66,000 miles. I've never really considered another bike for those trips. And you are looking at a bike 200 lbs more?!?!?!?!

Why?

Chris
I went across Canada in my 66 1300 bug. Wouldn’t pull 4th gear in the Rockies. Went back again in 70 1600 bug and was better. Extra 10hp helped. Loved those cars.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:
Bike
ST and K1600
I am with ya there. I have owned a lot of beemers over the years and had pretty good luck with all of them in terms or reliability but Honda’s are hard to beat. I know the K16 has more power but, I don’t think I have ever thought to myself.... “gee, I wish my gold wing had more horsepower”. In real world riding, it does the job well!
I did look at a 2018 Wing before going with the 2016 GTL, but the loss of capacity in the side bags and trunk (compared to the ST) was a deal-breaker. I am so used to storing two helmets in the ST's trunk and my gym bag and work backpack in the side bags.. the GTL's trunk and side bags are even a bit larger than the ST. I was disappointed in Honda's decision on storage.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
I did look at a 2018 Wing before going with the 2016 GTL, but the loss of capacity in the side bags and trunk (compared to the ST) was a deal-breaker. I am so used to storing two helmets in the ST's trunk and my gym bag and work backpack in the side bags.. the GTL's trunk and side bags are even a bit larger than the ST. I was disappointed in Honda's decision on storage.
Is this a copy of a previous post? It looks familiar. :confused1:

Muchmore

Train killer
Bike
13 BMW K1600GTL
Only reason I'm on a GTL is I got tired of waiting on mother Honda to do something new. Honestly, best bike I have ever owned. Fast as heck, sporty as heck and super comfortable. The lack of protection in a tipover is the only thing I would fault it for. You just wait until you hear that inline 6 screaming at 8k under full throttle and it will stand at least, your hair up! Owned since 2013 and until a drunk driver bought me a 2016 I can;t think of ANY reason to ever change. It just does everything for me so well.

Like I've said before, it goes from a, first date tickle fight on the couch to a hot and heavy game of leap frog in bed with just the flick of the right wrist!

Bike
2012 PCX150
Some may give you a dozen reasons why you should buy a K1600, other will give you the same or more reasons why you shouldn't. It's a beautiful bike, but it will cost more to run than an ST1300.

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
Life's too short to ride the wrong motorcycle. Enjoy it while it's enjoyable.

He's right you know.

If it doesn't work out, there are about a million other motorcycles for sale in this country and one of them may be just what you want.

Bike
2015 K1600 GTL E
2024 Miles
Just took the better half on short ride. She loved it. Throttle is so smooth. The ST is a little jerky lurky. Even with the G2 tamer. Haven’t ridden with a pillion since I was a young lad. The K1600 was quite nice.

Top Bottom