Anyone ever try these temporary tire plugs?

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
One time I inserted a gummy and did not have a knife or razor blade to cut off the tail of the gummy.
I am never without a knife, or two, in a pocket.
One is a small "trash knife" I don't mind abusing for "a knife is not the proper tool for this"-type tasks, and the other is a quality tool for cutting, slicing or stabbing things, and is always kept sharp.

The exception is if I'm going into a courthouse, or I'm swimming. I've carried a knife since I was a kid, back when people and schools were not insanely hysterical about inanimate objects.

Bike
VFR750F, ST1300
I am never without a knife, or two, in a pocket.
One is a small "trash knife" I don't mind abusing for "a knife is not the proper tool for this"-type tasks, and the other is a quality tool for cutting, slicing or stabbing things, and is always kept sharp.

The exception is if I'm going into a courthouse, or I'm swimming. I've carried a knife since I was a kid, back when people and schools were not insanely hysterical about inanimate objects.
Knives are so useful! I've even used mine to eat with when fast-food punk forgot to include silverware with my order! :)

Bike
VFR750F, ST1300
Bottom line, during a roadside repair I have used the rubber cement that comes with gummy worms a number of times, maybe 10 flat tires, to restore the tire to service then proceed to ride out the life of the tire with a gummy worm or even two in it. Once it took three worms in the ragged hole to limp 15 miles to a shop for a new tire and a couple of times a tire got two worms, two separate punctures, during the life of the tire. If I could have done better using vulcanizing fluid then please elaborate how?
I'm not saying that you personally have to improve anything. You very well could be using vulcanising fluid mis-translated as rubber cement on package. Neither you nor I have personally used every single kit ever produced. But there's been A LOT of issues people have had with gummy worms, plugs and patches that have failed. I don't know percentage of user-error vs. equipment problems, but there's been enough incidents and fatalities to show it's not minor concern. I'm just saying this, "Be sure you're using real vulcanising fluid instead of Elmer's rubber-cement!" And I laid out how to tell difference. IF anyone's had issues with worms, plugs or patches (I'm not saying you have) then that's most likely distinction.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Gummy worms work great! Problem is many of these kits come with rubber-cement instead of real vulcanising fluid.
I couldn't care whether it is rubber cement or vulcanizing fluid because I don't use it. I stopped bothering with the cement years ago, because it always dries out or leaks, and I have never seen any difference in the performance of any gummy worm that I have used since then. Of more importance to me is the condition of the gummy worms. Gummy worms that are not dried out (for lack of a better technical term) are really supple and very sticky. In this condition they mushroom inside the tire and stick more than well enough to do what they are intended to do if they are installed correctly. As long as they are in that supple sticky state I keep them and use them. If not, I replace them. When I buy replacement gummy worms I just buy a package of gummy worms, no cement.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I couldn't care whether it is rubber cement or vulcanizing fluid because I don't use it. I stopped bothering with the cement years ago, because it always dries out or leaks, and I have never seen any difference in the performance of any gummy worm that I have used since then. Of more importance to me is the condition of the gummy worms. Gummy worms that are not dried out (for lack of a better technical term) are really supple and very sticky. In this condition they mushroom inside the tire and stick more than well enough to do what they are intended to do if they are installed correctly. As long as they are in that supple sticky state I keep them and use them. If not, I replace them. When I buy replacement gummy worms I just buy a package of gummy worms, no cement.
In my experience the glue is primarily effective as a lubricant at insertion of the gummy worm and secondary as a sealant. Most of it is scraped off going through the tire casing.

OP
OP
Obo

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
In my experience the glue is primarily effective as a lubricant at insertion of the gummy worm and secondary as a sealant. Most of it is scraped off going through the tire casing.
I've read a bit of engine oil or chain lubricant works in a pinch too to lubricate the worms.

How you get a bit of engine oil or steal some grease/lube of your chain (if you have one) is up to you...

Last edited:

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
I've read a bit of engine oil from your dipstick works in a pinch too to lubricate the worms.
Most of my motorcycles have never had a dipstick. There may have been one, ...but I may be confusing it with a lawnmower.

(Autocorrect changed "dipstick" to "lipstick", but I'm quite certain none of my bikes ever came with a lipstick... not even my 2 BMW F650s.)

OP
OP
Obo

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
Most of my motorcycles have never had a dipstick. There may have been one, ...but I may be confusing it with a lawnmower.

(Autocorrect changed "dipstick" to "lipstick", but I'm quite certain none of my bikes ever came with a lipstick... not even my 2 BMW F650s.)
The new wings have a dipstick... I got carried away there.

Bike
2010 ST1300
@Obo, Having fought with the reamer and used gummy worms, I'd guess the screw in type would have to be pretty hard (or have a solid core) in order to go into the tire as you twist it. If that is the case, how does it perform in a flexible tire tread?

My guess is this is another Amazon idea that went nowhere. The fact that it is unavailable bolsters my guess.

OP
OP
Obo

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
@SMSW from what I've seen yes they are a solid core with a sealant around them.

Here's a video of a MC rider who used them (this is the 1st video I came across about these things)

and here's a video of them being installed. Views include from the outside and the inside of the MC tire.

Bike
2010 ST1300
@SMSWHere's a video....
It even comes with tire irons...ahhhh...plastics. And that pump! No fussing around with a slime pump and digging your way into the battery!

I'll stick w/ gummy worms. Running a drywall screw in to patch a flat somehow does not strike me as a clever repair. I've read of guys who have used a couple of worms, does anyone think you can screw in two if you have a larger hole?

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Bottom line, during a roadside repair I have used the rubber cement that comes with gummy worms a number of times, maybe 10 flat tires, to restore the tire to service then proceed to ride out the life of the tire with a gummy worm or even two in it. Once it took three worms in the ragged hole to limp 15 miles to a shop for a new tire and a couple of times a tire got two worms, two separate punctures, during the life of the tire. If I could have done better using vulcanizing fluid then please elaborate how?
This just tells us you don't follow the correct instructions, as these are temporary road side repairs, not intended to continue to ride on them for the remaining life of the tire :rolleyes:
By doing so, you not only put yourself at risk, but others as well in the case of a blow out.
Temp fix to get home, then replace the tire.

Top Bottom