Anyone have a SHAD SH48 Top Case?

Bike
ST1300A 2009
STOC #
The SH-48 is a nice looking case. Two considerations, compared to the SH-50: limited colors (SH-48 comes only in silver or titanium), and the SH-48 will cost more if you add the optional backrest. (The SH-50 comes with the backrest). I have been very happy with the SH-50 (pictured).
P1010119.jpg

Last edited:
Bike
2006 Black ST13
I also debated about this and I really like the looks of the SH48. However, I decided to go with the sh50 because it is basically the same external size, has some color options and has a more robust relective strip around the case. I think that the SH50 space is more usable than the SH48 which is more angular. I also liked that the red from the case reflective strip ties into the red of the ST1300 taillights. I went with flat black (partly because dealing with scratches on the glossy part of my my sidebags is a pain), but can get a gloss black top if I want to later. I did not think I would need or want the SH50 pillion backrest with my Corbin backrest. (My wife loves the Corbin and wanted me to keep it.) However, I found that the SH50 backrest provides additional cushioning above the corbin backrest that my wife thinks will be even more comfortable.

I mounted the Shad on a PCA rack, that others here have recommended. By using it, I was able to mount the case just enough back to clear the Corbin backrest. The Corbin backrest tilts forward so that I can still open the topcase all the way. I did discover however, that I needed to drill holes in the PCA rack to make the Shad universal mount fit. I found this fact last night on a BMW forum. No one had mentioned it here.

One point to note is that, once mounted, the PCA rack extends a little beyond the back of the Shad universal mount. So, I am pretty sure that will rule out using the Shad light kit.

This is my first day out with this setup. I was using Dowco Iron Rider soft luggage before and I have noticed no difference at all in handling--even behind log trucks in the rain at 70 MPH. Also, this does not move around or make any noise at speed as some have said is the case with Givi.

I have attached a few rainy-day-in-Oregon pictures from my first day out. I hope this helps.

Mike in Southern Oregon

Attachments

The SH-48 is a nice looking case. Two considerations, compared to the SH-50: limited colors (SH-48 comes only in silver or titanium), and the SH-48 will cost more if you add the optional backrest. (The SH-50 comes with the backrest). I have been very happy with the SH-50 (pictured).
P1010119.jpg
is that a 09? and is that the garnet option?

Bike
BMW K1600GT
KAS_1470.jpg

I the bike was sold, but I had the large size luggage rack from Premier Cycles with the shad adapter. I did not have to drill, but the case sat back about 1/2 further to line up the holes and to allow for the Pirates Lair backrest. I hope this helps

Bike
ST1300A 2009
STOC #
ScooterDawg: Yes, that is a 2009 "candy dark red" ST. The SHAD top-box is the "garnet" color - it is a perfect color match. Here's another view:
P1010113.jpg

Last edited:

treemuncher

Vegetation Terrorist
Bike
'07 ST1300A
STOC #
I have a Shad SH40 CA with the optional backrest and top rack. This is mounted on my Tenere. It is a much better constructed box than the Bestem that I have on the ST. Shad will be on the top of my list for any future bikes. Reasonable prices and a fairly well built product.

So far, even with the off road punishment, the case and mount are holding well. The Bestem mount has cracked on me with just road use on the ST1300. YMMV

KAS_1470.jpg

I the bike was sold, but I had the large size luggage rack from Premier Cycles with the shad adapter. I did not have to drill, but the case sat back about 1/2 further to line up the holes and to allow for the Pirates Lair backrest. I hope this helps
Hey Ken, hope all is well! Trigger now lives in Franklin NH, the Shad lives on my "new" 2012 ST.

Bike
2014 CB1100DX
I just bought a 2009 ST1300 with a Shad 58x top box. Unfortunately I can not get the rear seat off without lifting the foam edge way back because the top box bottom plat is positioned to close to the rear edge of the rear seat. There does not seem to be any ST1300 specific install instructions from SHAD so I am considering options .... took the whole assembly off for now.

Bike
2014 CB1100DX
Bike
ST-1300A '09/'12
2024 Miles
*UPDATE* I found additional info on the forum at https://www.st-owners.com/forums/threads/shad-sh40-topbox.173934/ .
I purchased the noted H0PN12ST mounting kit on ebay since the manufacturer does not seem to make them anymore (left voice message and email for SHADUSA but got not response).
Yeah they don't make them any more. Shad USA is/are a pretty disorganized bunch. It to 2 tries to get a replacement top plate for a defective one. One they sent me was, literally, missing 1/3rd. Before I got the mounting kit, from ebay, I made one using an aluminum plate and some spacers. It worked fine, it was just a bit too close for the pillion.

Top Bottom