Anyone here riding a BMW R1200GS ?

Bike
2022 BMW RT 1250
As my riding buddies got old, I no longer do too much technical trail riding;). I'm considering selling my plated 450 EXC and purchasing my friends 2015 R1200GS. I have the ability to ride the EXC out the driveway and be off-roading in just a few minutes (some of it is still legal:mad:). The EXC just doesn't have the legs to go 100+ miles then start the off-road ride. While on the ST, I'm always looking for future off-road opportunities. (Gee, I wonder where that trail/dirt road goes?) I want the ability to ride to a distant area and then start off-roading.
Has anyone here gone from the ST to the GS? GS to ST? Or possibly have both the ST and GS? I love the ST and have no complaints. The EXC's performance capability far exceeds my capabilities. It's a great bike. Opinions? Thoughts?

woodybelle

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300
I have ridden a friends 1200 GS around the Alps for 2 weeks and I can say that this is a great bike. It feels sure footed when leaving the pavement. It handles great and you never have to worry about not enough ground clearance. It has amazing power and gets fantastic gas mileage. The only drawback is the wind protection compared to the ST. Long distances on the freeway will beat you up a bit.

Bike
'06 ST 1300
STOC #
i have a 2011 r1200 GSA that i was using to explore some of the dirt and gravel roads in my area until i broke my foot. i also live with a pinched nerve and herniated disc in my neck, the GSA can sometime have too much vibration for me so it will never replace the Mighty ST 1300

OP
OP
Team2010
Bike
2022 BMW RT 1250
i have a 2011 r1200 GSA...the GSA ... will never replace the Mighty ST 1300
Hi, I don't think I'm looking to replace the ST. More so something to compliment it. The wife and I can roll the EXC into the back of the truck and pull a travel trailer to go camping. Not sure we could do that with the larger GS. That's a concern. As my friends have aged-out from off-roading, I have to pretty much ride off-road solo, sticking to fire roads ( always hated fire roads) and forest service roads. Don't really want to do that. Guess I really don't know what I want. It's all about compromise and tradeoffs. Just curious what works for others.

Bike
2001 ST1100
STOC #
I have a 2007 GS Adventure and a 2001 ST1100. I've had the GS for a year and half and haven't yet done a lot of off-road riding wih it yet but that's why I got it. My impression is that is a very capable bike as a sports tourer and easy off-road like forest service roads.
Mine has a claimed weight of 550lbs so it is considerably lighter than the ST and it carries it weight lower. It is much taller bike than the ST so short riders may find it challenging. I'm 6'2" and can flat foot it. When I get back on the ST it feels really small.

Both have enough power for me. Both handle well beyond my ability to ride. The ST is more refined. By that I mean the engine is smoother and slightly better wind protection. But the GS ergonomics and wind protection are just find. I slabbed back home from WeSTOC this year on it. It was 12/5 hours and 680 miles with 80 mph speed limits in Utah and Idaho and I wasn't beat up at all. The seat isn't as comfy as my Russel Day Long on the ST but that is expected. One thing is that gas mileage drops significantly at those speeds. I usually get mid 40s but only mid to low 30s at 80. So not quite as aerodynamic as the ST. The Adventure model has a larger gas tank resulting in a larger frontal area (and more range than the ST!). The brakes on the GS (ABS) are way better than my ST (non-ABS).

One last comment, neither my ST or GS has a lot of electronic aids. No traction control, ride modes, etc. The newer GS models are much more sophisticated than mine so I can't comment on those features. The GS is great all around bike, both for sport touring and off road adventures, its just not a dirt bike.

If you have specific questions, let me know.

diferg

Dan & Ingrid
Bike
2006 ST 1300
keep your EXC 450 or something that will fit in your truck while towing travel trailer. another option is to trade travel trailer for toy hauler. That can be could carry your ST and 12 GSA in a 1500 towable unit.

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
You may want to consider one of the "middle weight" DS bikes like the Yamaha T7, KTM 790/890, BMW 850/750, etc.

All are quite capable hiway bikes (even 2 up) and do very well off road. Big advantage over the 1200GS is weight, which is a consideration if you are riding alone most of the time. The Vstrom 650 was mentioned. I have one and it is OK for gravel and dirt roads but is quite limited by its suspension and clearance and it is heavy. Since I got my 790, my Vstrom has sat unused.

None of the DS bikes are going to offer the same level of comfort, as the ST, on long hiway trips. Apples and oranges thing.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
As my friends have aged-out from off-roading, I have to pretty much ride off-road solo, sticking to fire roads ( always hated fire roads) and forest service roads. Don't really want to do that. Guess I really don't know what I want. It's all about compromise and tradeoffs. Just curious what works for others.
You will find many riders in your area, I would suspect, over on ADVrider, for your offroad ventures.
A lot of street riders with adventure bikes, and lots of trail riders who also travel on roads.
But most will agree, the ADV tribe as a rule, isn't nearly as concerned with civility or politeness as we are here. Call it "rough and tumble", comparatively speaking.
But you don't have to shave, or even bathe, to hang out over there.
It can be fun!

OP
OP
Team2010
Bike
2022 BMW RT 1250
What about a V-strom?
Sounds like you need a vstrom 650. those Bmw's will only break your heart.
I have to admit I have not kept up on the different makes/types of MC's. I wasn't aware the V-strom was an 'adventure' bike. There appears to be 650, 1000, 1050 and ? versions. Also a 'XT' model.
I'll research each to try to determine the positive/negative for each size/year. What to be sure to look for and what to avoid.

I have a 2007 GS Adventure and a 2001 ST1100. I've had the GS for a year and half and haven't yet done a lot of off-road riding wih it yet but that's why I got it. My impression is that is a very capable bike as a sports tourer and easy off-road like forest service roads...

One last comment, neither my ST or GS has a lot of electronic aids. No traction control, ride modes, etc. The newer GS models are much more sophisticated than mine so I can't comment on those features. The GS is great all around bike, both for sport touring and off road adventures, its just not a dirt bike.
My biggest concern with the GS is the upkeep and reliability with all the bells and whistles. I think I only really need/want ABS and cruise control. I'd really prefer to have a shaft drive, but realize that is very limiting.
keep your EXC 450 or something that will fit in your truck while towing travel trailer. another option is to trade travel trailer for toy hauler. That can be could carry your ST and 12 GSA in a 1500 towable unit.
May just keep the EXC. Don't relish the thought of having a gas powered machine in the living quarters (of a toy hauler). I do like the idea of taking the ST camping!

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
As a matter of fact...
IMG_5896.JPG
I picked this up yesterday. I'm keeping the EXC.
Now to find a good RT owners site.
this isn't bad

Top Bottom