Anyone recently purchase a new Corbin Smuggler trunk?

I've read through a bunch of the threads here about this trunk, can't find any used ones on the market. So, I'm looking at new and just wondering if anyone has recently purchased one and your thoughts on it.

Also, I don't see a way in their form at Corbin, to pick the color, I need 2008 Candy Glory Red (god awful name).

Besides extra storage, I really like the look of it. Wife doesn't ride with me so two seats isn't an issue.

http://corbin.com/honda/st13smug.shtml

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
I bought one 3 or 4 years ago - I rode in to Corbin and had a seat made at the same time. They will paint it whatever colour you want (black in my case).

I was very impressed with the service.

Michael

OP
OP
I bought one 3 or 4 years ago - I rode in to Corbin and had a seat made at the same time. They will paint it whatever colour you want (black in my case).

I was very impressed with the service.

Michael
Thanks! Guess I'll just have to call them and go from there.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
CYYJ said:
They will paint it whatever colour you want (black in my case).
IDNKT. For what they want for one I do think it only fair. Or do they charge extra?

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
...do they charge extra?
No, I believe that paint is included in the price of the product.

It is expensive... but then again, it is well made, and it is a complex product to make due to the shape. If I had to do it all over again, I would buy it from Corbin again, it is a very useful and convenient product, and it expands the rather limited (compared to the ST 1100) cargo capacity of the ST 1300.

Michael

Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #
Bought used one a few years ago as a package that included a Corbin front saddle. It has been a nice addition to my ST with the only downside being you cannot open the Smuggler lid with a Pan European Top Box in place unless you relocate the top box mount. On tour, I use the Top Box and put the rear seat on. Otherwise, the Smuggler is always on the bike.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
CYYJ said:
but then again, it is well made, and it is a complex product to make due to the shape.
I've seen one in the wild and it was a very nice looking bit of kit. I seriously think about considering one if I knew it would work with my Bygdawg rack.

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Have owned two of them, one on my 05 and one on the 03. Sadly, I let both go. Wanting a black one for the 06. Harder to find these days.
They really are nice when you don't have a passenger and don't need the big trunk. I do know two regular bottles of wine will fit.......
T

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Have owned two of them, one on my 05 and one on the 03.
Tod;
By any chance on one of those bikes did you have a Honda OEM top case as well?
I know of someone who wants buy a smuggler. Before he forks out $1100.00 USD for it, he wants to know if it can be used with the Honda OEM top case without any interference or modifications.

If anyone has this combination, please advise.

Edit:
Found this- Corbin Smuggler ( thanks so much to SupraSabre )
The pictures in the above thread make it look like it works and the door has enough clearance to be opened and closed with the Honda OEM top case installed but,

I also found this- Will a Corbin Smuggler work with a Pan Euro top box???
Which states that door of the smuggler can not be opened with the Honda top case installed.

So I guess the answer is no, they don't play well together?

Last edited:
Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
I'm looking at new and just wondering if anyone has recently purchased one and your thoughts on it.
I bought a used smuggler from an unhappy original owner, for a great price. I am happy with it,,, but will point out some negative points,,, as well as one positive. It is sturdy,,, very solid construction. But,, there are fitment issues that I don't feel are acceptable, considering the high price of a new unit. I had to fab a new striker,, as the supplied one was nowhere close. There is some spider cracking in the underlying glass. The mounting latch required some shimming to get it to lock down to the bike properly. Also had to add some rubber spacers to the rest pads on the bottom, to stabilize it, as it rattled. The lines along the front of the hatch are not straight, which causes some binding as the lid is raised. One one hand,,, this holds the lid open when raised. On the other hand this wears the paint off where it rubs. So these are things to watch for when buying new. At Corbin's price,,, it should be satisfaction guaranteed,,, imho,,,, cheers,, CAt'

20210728_200518_001b.jpg

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
@Andrew Shadow , yes I have both. And the smuggler trunk lid does interfere with the oem trunk.

As far as some of the issues posted earlier, I have only experienced a latch issue on one of the ones I have had. Used a couple washers to get the loop to latch on the latch. No rubbing or binding. Sounds like that one trunk may have seen some abuse maybe.

T

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Sounds like that one trunk may have seen some abuse maybe.
I agree. I have a smuggler and have no issues at all with any part of it.

I don't have a Honda top case. There is no interference between the smuggler and the top case that I have. I am asking for someone else, so thank you for the response.

Josh_ST

I love my 2 wheeled therapy machine!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 Honda ST1300
2024 Miles
I have a 47L Givi monokey, and I had to elongate the slots in the ST1300 specific plate to slide it rearward to allow the smuggler to open with the case installed on the bike. The PO had a 25-ish L Givi on there, and it didn't interfere. I can grab pics once I'm done working. No known ill effects after I did that. That being said, I'd likely slide it forward if I put the pillion seat on and had a rider, as it doesn't have quite as much support slid back.

Jevers

Jevers
Bike
2017 Yamaha SCR950
I bought a used smuggler from an unhappy original owner, for a great price. I am happy with it,,, but will point out some negative points,,, as well as one positive. It is sturdy,,, very solid construction. But,, there are fitment issues that I don't feel are acceptable, considering the high price of a new unit. I had to fab a new striker,, as the supplied one was nowhere close. There is some spider cracking in the underlying glass. The mounting latch required some shimming to get it to lock down to the bike properly. Also had to add some rubber spacers to the rest pads on the bottom, to stabilize it, as it rattled. The lines along the front of the hatch are not straight, which causes some binding as the lid is raised. One one hand,,, this holds the lid open when raised. On the other hand this wears the paint off where it rubs. So these are things to watch for when buying new. At Corbin's price,,, it should be satisfaction guaranteed,,, imho,,,, cheers,, CAt'

20210728_200518_001b.jpg
I realize that I am a little late with this info but the lid can be easily adjusted to the rear by loosening the screws on the hinge. Slide it back and retighten the screws. This might help with the latch as well. I this found out after I painted it, reassembled it and wore the fresh paint off near the hinge! Good luck. Jevers

Bike
ST-1300A '09/'12
2024 Miles
I am the one @Andrew Shadow is referring to. I don't have the oem box, but the Shad 58X. When I originally saw, on Corbin's site, that it was incompatible with the Hondaline box, I thought it was due to the smuggler interfering with the mounting bracket. After getting info from @Andrew Shadow , and this thread, I'm seeing that this isn't the case (see what I did there?). There may now be a new smuggler in my near future.

Bike
2009 ST1300
I've got the identical set up as ToddC, [great pic] it's a cool look to the bike, I'm not a wine drinker but a six pack fits for the my hands are freezing to death roll back into the garage, never put the Corbin on this year, only rode with the panniers and without the pan european box top - no passengers this go round. the fit is nice, it lines out nice on either side, very uniform construction, nice interior carpet, the gasket / seal is perfect. I can keep the platform that holds the box top either way, and still interchange between the corbin seat / smuggler or the stock seat plus or minus the pan europe top box but not both, you have to pick

Attachments

Top Bottom