Anyone use a cool vest?

Bike
ST1300
I bought the Motoboss? brand vest, and I only used it once on each of my bikes, to me it also felt slimy, it worked great on my Blackbird, but when I tried to use it on my ST, it just felt as if there was not enough airflow over the St's shield to make it work efficiently , I just felt muggy in it, I ended up selling it to another local who only rode short shielded sport bikes.

Now that I have a second shield that I'm going to cut down for the ST, I might try one again. but a different brand.

OP
OP
Hotwheelbill

Hotwheelbill

Site Supporter...you a FAN?$
Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #
Wow , thanks for all the replys. Sure is a lot to absorb here......

This one time I am glad I waited to buy. I was leaning to the soak and wear and the price was right. But I now plan to buy a phase change vest. Now to figure out what brand and find a deal.

Gamecock

Hey Y'all, Watch This!
Bike
2006 FJR
When I do, I actually keep my Stich pretty closed up to extend the cooling effects.
+1 on using it under a relatively closed jacket. I have used it with a mesh jacket as well, but I found that it dried out much, much faster - especially in low humidity. When I wore it under my aerostich jacket, with all of the vents open, it provided plenty of cooling and remained wet and cool for a couple of hours vs. about 45 minutes under the mesh jacket.

OP
OP
Hotwheelbill

Hotwheelbill

Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #
Looks like Tuffrino has them on sale w/free shipping right now. The one thing that they do not show is how many packs does the vest hold and how are they set in the vest?

STOC #
Uasually four pacs, two in the front two in the back. In a pinch you can just use the front pacs. Forgot to cool down my spairs and it worked ok but not the Ahhhhhhhhhhh of four pack..

mitch

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Bill, I have one of these.

http://www.coolvest.com/RPCM_Cooling_Vest/RPCM_Santa_Cool_Vest.aspx

If you like, I'll mail it to you and you can give it a try. Doesn't matter what the humidity level is or isn't it still works and mesh or non-mesh doesn't matter... it's about keeping something cold next to you and it does a great job..

The down side is it adds about an inch on both sides of you so it feels a bit bulky at first but the affect is a very nice one. I also have spare cooling packs as well. I've run it with just the front packs in and that helps cut the bulk down and it works just as good.

The evaporative stuff isn't going to work as well in the high humidity of FL.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
When Byron and I were riding out to Taos for WeSTOC 2008, when we stopped for gas, I would buy a bag of ice and a half of gallon of water and soak our cooling liners in a plastic bag. It kept us nice and cool, and we were in temps from 101 to 113F much of the way! :hat1:

Bike
2004 st1300
STOC #
Coolvest works great. I have used it many times in 90 + heat up to 110 heat and the cooling effect is very good.
Got one for the Misses on the last trip. At first she did not want to get wet but after a short time she is a convert to the coolvest clan.

Gary
:04biker:

pretbek

Ŵΐļļ ŗĭδέ ∫ỗґ Ŧщịştịέş
Bike
Super Tenere
STOC #
Just got this in an email ... sale of Phase Change jacket - Looks good but does this sort of thing really keep you cool or warm in extreme weather??

Use coupon code SMART during checkout for $30 off

It does use the buzz-word "phase change", but is very different from the jackets discussed in this thread.

The jacket you see in the ad changes pore size, to let more or less air through depending on your body heat.

The phase change cooling jackets mentioned in this thread holds approximately 5 lbs worth of removable packs filled with an oily substance that "thaws" over time, providing constant active cooling, like ice would but at more comfortable temperatures.

Bike
FJR & Super Tenere
STOC #
It does use the buzz-word "phase change", but is very different from the jackets discussed in this thread.

The jacket you see in the ad changes pore size, to let more or less air through depending on your body heat.

The phase change cooling jackets mentioned in this thread holds approximately 5 lbs worth of removable packs filled with an oily substance that "thaws" over time, providing constant active cooling, like ice would but at more comfortable temperatures.
Well that `splains it. Thx

(I thought they were trying to trick me ;-) )

OP
OP
Hotwheelbill

Hotwheelbill

Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #
Thanks to Mellow, I will be testing a "Coolvest" tomorrow to see how I like it. Plan to ride south of Jacksonville and only use two inserts in the front at a time. I have four, so use two and two in a small ice filled cooler in the side bag.

Bike
2013 K1600GTL
STOC #
I have a Miracool vest and neck band, both work great. Bigdawg and I used them going from Phoenix to Joshua Tree to Big Bear on our Way Out West trip. To "charge" it we put them in a plastic grocery bag with water and some ice. A bit shocking initially when you put it on (it is cold!) but pure pleasure when you are riding. I was wearing a mesh jacket and it usually lasted a couple of hours. I wasn't worried about my shirt getting wet, that was the object! We used the remaining water to soak our sleeves. Worth it.

On board ship we use the phase change vests (under our fire fighting gear mostly and in the engine room). They work great but too much hastle for me on the road.

My 2 cents
JD

Bike
GL1800
When Byron and I were riding out to Taos for WeSTOC 2008, when we stopped for gas, I would buy a bag of ice and a half of gallon of water and soak our cooling liners in a plastic bag. It kept us nice and cool, and we were in temps from 101 to 113F much of the way! :hat1:
I have a mini cooler (walmart ..whatever) which I stage with ice, drinks and my cool vest. When the temp hits 95 or higher I put on the vest it is heaven....for about two hours. I wear it under a Stich with a T.

When I stop for gas, I just recharge the cooling vest in the cooler till I am ready to go.

Top Bottom