Anyone Using a Garmin XT?

Bike
2010 ST1300
Garmin's XT is apparently their latest and greatest MC GPS. (Correct me if I'm wrong.) I saw one at the NESTOC and, wonder of wonders, I was able to see the screen in strong sunlight.

My only hesitation is that it is listed as 'weather resistant' (not waterproof).

For those of you who have one, what do you think of this new iteration?

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
I’ve had an XT for a couple of years, and it has served me well. I’ve tried to drown it several times with no ill effects, except that heavy rain on the screen will sometimes be interpreted as a finger touch. It’s always easy to read in strong daylight. There is a learning curve when coming from earlier models, as the controls have changed.

John

Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
I just got one. It's an expensive upgrade but my old 660 was becoming unreliable so it was time.

So far I'm digging it. The hardware looks to be more susceptible to handling errors as the screen is flush with almost no bezel. A butter fingered drop might be fatal. I was quick to buy a standard case for it. Careful not to yank too hard on the rubber access panels or the hinged edge can get pulled out of place. As long as the rubbers are squished down good it should be nearly water-proof

Yes there is a steep learning curve as the user interface and the menus have all changed. Including some of the standard terms.

I found an article written up by the inimitable John Heath. It's 80 pages of detailed explanations of pretty much all of the how's and why's. Well worth the time to read through. --> Article - Zumo XT - (Almost) Everything that you need to know | Articles | ST-Owners.com

After two weekends using it under pressure... Boot up is almost instant. The screen is bright and crisp. "Lane Assist" will now verbally tell you which lanes to be in. Overall the verbal directions are very good. The "Junction View" side screen info is much better. Capacitive screen with pinch, zoom, and rotate is awesome but still iffy with gloves on. Poking at the icons while moving is hit or miss. It recalculates way quicker than the old Zumo. Usually. I confused it last weekend by bypassing a waypoint (see John's essay about the difference between waypoints and shaping points). It just gave up and said "not able to calculate a route"! (You have one job!) :rofl1: Telling it to forget the original route and plot a point to point course resulted in instant success. Sharing saved routes via bluetooth to another Zumo XT is amazingly easy. The new "points of interest" layout is confusing and I'm still getting the hang of it but it does work pretty well for finding food or gas along the way. You'll also want to check out the Garmin "Drive" app to supplement it with live data from your phone. You'll get side screen pop ups for local traffic and road construction issues. You'll also get email notification pop-ups. Nice if your phone is tucked away safe somewhere instead of mounted where you can see it. With the old setup all I would get is a ding or dong and not know exactly what just came in. Now I knew right away that my sister was trying to get in touch with me. :thumb:You can also pull up weather forecasts and radar and it will superimpose on your map display. Sweet!

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
I’ve tried to drown it several times with no ill effects, except that heavy rain on the screen will sometimes be interpreted as a finger touch.
<snip>
John
That's because it is to be mounted facing you, not with the screen facing forward for the raindrops to hit the screen.
Silly boy!

Smudgemo

Intermodal Man of Mystery
Bike
'08 GS / '78 CB550
Mine just showed up earlier last week, and I haven't had time to actually use it, but it looks really cool. Still trying to figure out how this all fits together the GPS, phone, music, Cardo, but I'm getting there slowly.
This guy has some great videos where he takes you through a progression of learning how to use Garmin Basecamp that has been helpful starting out: https://www.youtube.com/c/EZMotoTim

amorley

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 BMW K1600GTS
2024 Miles
SPOT
LINK
I have used a Zumo XT for over a year mounted between my handlebars. Very heavy rain does cause some problems but it always dries out and works fine. Bright, easy to read screen.

If you use a Mac, you need to quit Garmin Express completely before Basecamp will "see' the Zumo XT

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I got one of these, comes with a cover for the mount and a bezel for the zumo which should help on a drop.

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
@Mondo USED to have one! That cover would not have helped his unless it can withstand being run over by 9 wheels of an 18 wheeler on the highway.
Don't know if he replaced it with the same.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
@Mondo USED to have one! That cover would not have helped his unless it can withstand being run over by 9 wheels of an 18 wheeler on the highway.
Don't know if he replaced it with the same.
yeah, not any I know of would have survived that... the connection to the mount is definitely not as solid feeling as previous models.. Tourtech now sells a locking version of the mount - ouch... but then again, anything touratech is usually $$$

tonythecarguy

err... motorcycleguy
Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
I love mine. I have used it for 33k miles in the last 2 plus years. The box it came in said IPX7, which is submerged 30 minutes at 3 feet. The software is still somewhat buggy, It does tend to reboot it's self while riding occasionally; but no more so than my 665 and 550 that came before it. Rain has not been a problem and I have ridden in plenty with it. The screen is fantastic looking. When it is on sale for $400 I would not hesitate.

Last edited:

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
@amorley gave me a cool round disc w/double sided tape and lanyard to use on the XT... maybe he can post the source, tons of similar tethers on amazon for phones.

amorley

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 BMW K1600GTS
2024 Miles
SPOT
LINK
@amorley gave me a cool round disc w/double sided tape and lanyard to use on the XT... maybe he can post the source, tons of similar tethers on amazon for phones.
This is the tether I use on my Zumo XT to ensure that even if it does vibrate loose from the motorcycle mount, I won't lose it. I use the same type of tether on my SPOT Gen4 and Heat Troller.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
I can speak from experience (though not ST-specific experience) that the Garmin 476C, one of my all-time feature favorites, has a parasitic draw on unswitched power that WILL drain a motorcycle battery in just a few days.
In my case, it was in a KTM 950 Adventure-S, but I also heard the same from Maura in Canada who DID have the ST1300, and if not on a battery tender, would have to jump start her bike too.
Even with the 476 powered OFF, if wired to constant bike power.

larryg

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
I use the same tethers, on mine but haven't yet had the Zumo fall off.
Highly recommend the XT, have had mine about two years and love it. And you can still see it with POLARIZED sunglasses !
Definitely read JF Heath's articles, he's done fantastic work with these.

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
When I got my XT a couple of years ago I put it on my Africa Twin. The mount did appear to be weak and I was concerned. I really make sure it is snapped in and I pull test it t make sure it is secure. I can say I have ridden off road and also on some really nasty washboard dirt and gravel roads where the XT and windshield were violently shaking and I have not had any problems. There is a security device made by Motopumps here in the US. It is a backing plate with a special security pin/ bolt that fits under the release button to prevent the button from releasing the device. It also makes the XT less prone to be stolen easily. Here is a link.

Tor

Making Life A Ride
Site Supporter
Bike
R1200 GSA / S1000XR
I have used a Zumo XT for over a year mounted between my handlebars. Very heavy rain does cause some problems but it always dries out and works fine. Bright, easy to read screen.

If you use a Mac, you need to quit Garmin Express completely before Basecamp will "see' the Zumo XT
Probably my next GPS. Currently using a Navigator 5. I will lose the wonder-wheel functionality with the XT though. Really not too big of a deal. Will miss the wheel-zoom.

Top Bottom