Anyone using a seat pad on their 1100?

Bike
97 ST1100
STOC #
Does anyone have any experience with an aftermarket seat pad (air, gel, etc.)?

I have a Corbin Dual Canyon that has been recovered, over the original foam, but I have been getting some "hot spots" in my own seat while riding.

I thought a pad might be something worth trying as a less expensive solution.

1619542289650.png

STRider

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
Before getting a Corbin for my 1100 I used a beaded seat cover like this with some success. Saved me from scaring (or scarring) families on the Pennsylvania Turnpike from my screaming in agony on the stock seat. I could get some pressure relief as well as airflow that helped.

1619547347678.png'

A vendor at TourExpo at Americade loaned me an Air-Hawk seatpad for a day when I was running mini-tours. I liked it and might have bought it had I not been a cash-strapped single guy at the time.

I later bought a Corbin Dual Canyon Sport and haven't needed anything else since.

Bike
2014 ST1300
I ride a 1300 but I bought the AirHawk recently. Haven't had the chance to test it out on a long ride but the couple short one's I've done it's been quite comfortable. I'll report back after a longer ride.

OP
OP
tt48
Bike
97 ST1100
STOC #
Before getting a Corbin for my 1100 I used a beaded seat cover like this with some success. Saved me from scaring (or scarring) families on the Pennsylvania Turnpike from my screaming in agony on the stock seat. I could get some pressure relief as well as airflow that helped.

1619547347678.png'

A vendor at TourExpo at Americade loaned me an Air-Hawk seatpad for a day when I was running mini-tours. I liked it and might have bought it had I not been a cash-strapped single guy at the time.

I later bought a Corbin Dual Canyon Sport and haven't needed anything else since.
STRider, thanks for the input. I shall give the beaded cover some consideration. It just seems counter-intuitive that sitting on beads would be comfortable long-term. With that said, thousands of cab drivers can't be wrong!
I ride a 1300 but I bought the AirHawk recently. Haven't had the chance to test it out on a long ride but the couple short one's I've done it's been quite comfortable. I'll report back after a longer ride.
Weaselinsuit, thanks! I look forward to that feedback.

DJDixon

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
STOC #
I've used the Alaska Leather sheepskin buttpad on both ST1100 and ST1300 and they really work to help with both sweating and comfort. I have one on the current BMW R1200RT over the stock seat and it makes all the difference in the world.

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
When I use an Air Hawk and a sheep skin on my Corbin, it's good for, about 100 miles.

A stock seat is good for about 35 miles. BamaRider put almost 100K miles on a stock seat so it works for some.

I have a Saddlman Travelcade with a gel which was good for about 300 miles.

Moto-Charlie

Vendor
I've used both the Alaska Leather sheepskin (for many years) and currently use an Air Hawk. I ride several different bikes and one or the other is on every seat, be it a stock seat, corbin, RDL, etc. As others have mentioned they help not only with comfort but with cooling/sweating on warmer days.

The effectiveness of the sheepskin or the Air Hawk to me depends a little bit on the contour/tilt of the seat. The sheepkin lies flat everywhere, whereas the Air Hawk, even with minimal air, seems to be a little taller at the rear, which might tilt you forward more depending on the how the seat is contoured.

All things being equal I will begin to notice some butt burn on either after 3 or 4 hours of riding, but - the burn goes away almost immediatley off the bike after riding on the Air Hawk (say while stopping for lunch) - hence my slight preference for the it

Bike
1991 Honda ST 1100
Does anyone have any experience with an aftermarket seat pad (air, gel, etc.)?

I have a Corbin Dual Canyon that has been recovered, over the original foam, but I have been getting some "hot spots" in my own seat while riding.

I thought a pad might be something worth trying as a less expensive solution.

1619542289650.png
used this pad and not crazy about it even deflated mostly 100 percent but does allow a bit longer riding before massive pain

Bike
1991 Honda ST 1100
I've used both the Alaska Leather sheepskin (for many years) and currently use an Air Hawk. I ride several different bikes and one or the other is on every seat, be it a stock seat, corbin, RDL, etc. As others have mentioned they help not only with comfort but with cooling/sweating on warmer days.

The effectiveness of the sheepskin or the Air Hawk to me depends a little bit on the contour/tilt of the seat. The sheepkin lies flat everywhere, whereas the Air Hawk, even with minimal air, seems to be a little taller at the rear, which might tilt you forward more depending on the how the seat is contoured.

All things being equal I will begin to notice some butt burn on either after 3 or 4 hours of riding, but - the burn goes away almost immediatley off the bike after riding on the Air Hawk (say while stopping for lunch) - hence my slight preference for the it
the tilt forward as you said was not something i was expecting...I actually think mine has no air now but still have that sense of being (knees) much closer

Winged_STer

Gary Gray
Site Supporter
Bike
'20 BMW R1250GS Adv
2024 Miles
STOC #
Currently using an AirHawk and Alaska sheepskin on top of that. Better than stock but not Russel Day Long comfort.

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
On one ST, I use a BeadRider (the ceramic one) on a Saddlemen seat (which is pretty effective honestly) and on the 2000, I have a Russel seat I bought pre-owned. Both are good solutions.

one more thing to consider...from Bohn Armor, I bought a pair of mesh shorts with the CE1 armor in them. Wearing these under jeans actually cools you off as air is allowed to circulate under your rump (works kind of like the BeadRider).

I'm going on a longer ride in May, so the anti ‘monkey butt’ powder may help if I remember to buy some before the trip

Bike
2014 ST1300
Update on the Airhawk. It helps but it doesn't solve the problem. Went for a 7 hour ride last weekend (actual riding time) and by the end I was in agony. I did stop once for gas and once for a quick lunch. So it was broken up but even so, by the 1.5-2 hour mark, the butt started to hurt as did the crotch. It's better than it was but still not a solution.

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
Have you considered a Russell Day-Long? They are custom-fit to you and your bum.
I would sell my lightly used seat but you would have to be close to my stature.

Bike
2014 ST1300
Have you considered a Russell Day-Long? They are custom-fit to you and your bum.
I would sell my lightly used seat but you would have to be close to my stature.
I have. I've looked at the Corbin, the Sargent and the Russell. But price is a factor right now. Not to mention exchange rate :) .

I'm 5'11", 230 lbs, short legs, long torso.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Update on the Airhawk. It helps but it doesn't solve the problem. Went for a 7 hour ride last weekend (actual riding time) and by the end I was in agony. I did stop once for gas and once for a quick lunch. So it was broken up but even so, by the 1.5-2 hour mark, the butt started to hurt as did the crotch. It's better than it was but still not a solution.
BTDT... try letting some air out of it.

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
I have. I've looked at the Corbin, the Sargent and the Russell. But price is a factor right now. Not to mention exchange rate :) .

I'm 5'11", 230 lbs, short legs, long torso.
It would not be as new, price so maybe we can work it out.
I am a bit bigger than you @ 6'5" and 275 ( back when built) My legs are relatively short though @ 34"
If you are interested, I would recommend you call Russell and give them the numbers. I bet they have my records still. They can possibly help with a guess as to compatibility.
It is built on a Corbin pan, so it is a rugged seat.
I think $400 is my bottom.

Top Bottom