anyone with an ST1100 in Australia ?

Bike
ST1100AY
I may be moving to Australia later this year and would like to take my ST1100 with me along with my 1955 AJS, the AJS will go as an antique but was wondering how easy to get the ST1100 into the country and what modifications I might have to make (just realised I need to get a new headlamp as I write this message !!)

OP
OP
aSTerix
Bike
ST1100AY
Don't forget to look us up when you get here. In the meantime, checkout this forum http://ozstoc.com/index.php, lots of friends and friendly advice available, may be even some information on your query re. importing to OZ.

Which area are you planning on moving to?
Its looking like Brisbane or Melbourne. I will subscribe to the forum you mentioned and postthere also, many thx

Bike
'99 ST1100 AX
Hmm ... didn't realise importing into Oz was much harder than exporting.
Shipped my Pan from Brizzy to UK without any real issues.
Filled in one form, handed rego plates back to DMV, received a confirmation e-mail, and that was it - free to ship the bike out of Oz.
UK import approval took a little longer though ... ...

If I were you, and for the sake of $50 AUD, I'd take the first step and register your import request. - it will either be granted or declined.
If granted, then you have to fill in more forms and deal with all the different government departments, then physically get the bike there and through customs.
Once in country, and depending on which state you're based in, theres also the RWC, CTP, and Rego fees
Other option is to sell your bike and replace it once in Oz - loads of Pans for sale online.
Whatever you decide, Oz is a fantastic country for riding.

OP
OP
aSTerix
Bike
ST1100AY
Hmm ... didn't realise importing into Oz was much harder than exporting.
Shipped my Pan from Brizzy to UK without any real issues.
Filled in one form, handed rego plates back to DMV, received a confirmation e-mail, and that was it - free to ship the bike out of Oz.
UK import approval took a little longer though ... ...

If I were you, and for the sake of $50 AUD, I'd take the first step and register your import request. - it will either be granted or declined.
If granted, then you have to fill in more forms and deal with all the different government departments, then physically get the bike there and through customs.
Once in country, and depending on which state you're based in, theres also the RWC, CTP, and Rego fees
Other option is to sell your bike and replace it once in Oz - loads of Pans for sale online.
Whatever you decide, Oz is a fantastic country for riding.
I may try that and see what happens, the problem is with my work visa which doesn't fit the criteria

Buying one there might be a good idea because mine is a left hand drive model ( as in right side of road) and I don't think it will like becoming a right hand drive (as in left side of road) !!

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Buying one there might be a good idea ......
In North America there are customs brokers who specialize in vehicle import/export. About ten years ago I inquired about importing a vehicle. I was surprised at the price. To import a private passenger vehicle that is already on the Transport Canada approved list was under $250.00 at that time. For this fee they would have handled securing all of the paperwork required from the various U.S. agencies at the pick up point as well as all of the paperwork that would have been required to get it through the border and to satisfy customs after the border. This fee included a guarantee that the vehicle would be accepted in to Canada. They offer this guarantee because they know all of the regulations and if the vehicle is not illegible they know this before-hand. Included in the service guarantee was that they would resolve any issue with the various government departments which may have cropped up clearing customs. All I had to do was wait for the phone call to go pick up the vehicle and pay the fee.

It might be worth your effort to find a customs broker who does vehicle importations in to Australia and ask a few questions. They will know the requirements and be familiar with any peculiarities of the Australian regulations and red tape. They should be able to give you a good idea of whether or not your vehicle is eligible for importation as well as be able to give you a rough idea of what it will cost. Besides getting it done for you the biggest benefit that they offer is that they handle all of the paperwork which is usually the worst part of dealing with any government agency.

OP
OP
aSTerix
Bike
ST1100AY
It might be worth your effort to find a customs broker who does vehicle importations in to Australia and ask a few questions. They will know the requirements and be familiar with any peculiarities of the Australian regulations and red tape. They should be able to give you a good idea of whether or not your vehicle is eligible for importation as well as be able to give you a rough idea of what it will cost. Besides getting it done for you the biggest benefit that they offer is that they handle all of the paperwork which is usually the worst part of dealing with any government agency.
This is a very good idea, I hate dealing with any government agency !

OP
OP
aSTerix
Bike
ST1100AY
looks like it is a no go for me due to the nature of the work visa. Its plan B now, the parts I have refurbished will go with my personal possessions but the frame with VIN will have to be scrapped here, now investigating engine import which is something else again !

When I get settled I'll look for a write-off ST1100 to get the frame and VIN and rebuild from there

Bike
2011 Honda ST1300
When I get settled I'll look for a write-off ST1100 to get the frame and VIN and rebuild from there
Easier said than done. In Victoria, where I'm from, you'll need to deal with the Department of Transport (formerly VicRoads), much information here: https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/registration/vehicle-modifications-and-defects/written-off-vehicles

Other States will have similar requirement but different enough to induce a headache, and some States won't even allow a vehicle on the WOVR to be registered. I worked for VicRoads from mid 70's to late 90's, too much has changed for me to be any help. But get a good registration officer, it'll be a breeze; and difficult one and you'll have a migrane.

OP
OP
aSTerix
Bike
ST1100AY
Easier said than done. In Victoria, where I'm from, you'll need to deal with the Department of Transport (formerly VicRoads), much information here: https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/registration/vehicle-modifications-and-defects/written-off-vehicles

Other States will have similar requirement but different enough to induce a headache, and some States won't even allow a vehicle on the WOVR to be registered. I worked for VicRoads from mid 70's to late 90's, too much has changed for me to be any help. But get a good registration officer, it'll be a breeze; and difficult one and you'll have a migrane.
wow thats a pain , plan C, I will just get a roadworthy secondhand ST1100 and swap my parts across as needed, may as well strip my engine down now aswell . This means one frame will be going spare in the next few months

Top Bottom