Apnea Campers - CPAP Options

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
Any sleep Apnea riders out there with recommendations for CPAP's that are good for camping? Looking at the portable small battery powered units and trying to decide what one would be best. Any advice from actual users would be appreciated. I have been using a CPAP now for over 15 years but haven't considered buying a small unit for camping until now.

Dan

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
I don't use one so have no personal input for you but I do remember this topic coming up a few times. If you want to peruse some previous threads about this have a look these- CPAP

OP
OP
bdalameda

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
Yes, I've seen most of older posts but most discussions are several years old and some new CPAP devices are available now. Hoping someone has recent experience with some of the newer small devices.

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
I do use one but for the most part my camping has been in our camper and we have hookups. I do keep my old one in the camper all the time which is nice to not have to unhook all my stuff from the house. It worked fine when I retired it from full time use. It was mainly that the humidifier became unreliable. Sometimes it would cut out. This was a bigger problem for me in the winter when it is dry up here. In the summer I don't normally use it so for camping this is fine.

There are travel units that are very compact. Of course they are not cheap. Well as you know none of the units are cheap but that is one option. Have you first looked at what your options are for your primary machine? Sometimes they make a 12v or travel power source. While mine isn't small, if I separate the humidifier which I don't need in the summer, it is pretty small. Some people have run a battery booster pack and powered them off of that. I guess you also have to consider how many nights you are typically on a trip. If it is just an overnight or a weekend you can get by with a smaller battery. If you camp at a place with power it isn't an issue. Maybe mix it up a bit and a couple nights dry camping with a booster pack and then a night with power at least so you can charge.

Edit: for me I just don't bother with it as I am not on the bike enough like this. Either I am doing an IBA type ride, well then I am not sleeping enough to bother or I can get by a night or two and be fine. Just have an extra cup of coffee.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Look around and find a machine that runs on 12v native (one recommendation is Philips Respironics PR System One). The less voltage conversions you have to do the more efficient the overall system.

I built (you can buy) a LiFe battery that will power it for several nights without a powered humidifier, 2 short nights with humidifier. Damp camp areas like the forests you can forgo the humidifier or just run it in passive mode. The advantage to the LiFe battery is that it can be recharged by the bike while you are riding.

I did not buy a travel specific machine but I did pick up a second unit so I don't have to tear apart my home set-up for camping.
A recommendation from my experience is to possible get a longer then average hose. My p'up camper when sleeping two had me putting the machine by my feet and then I run the hose up and over to my mask.

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
Look around and find a machine that runs on 12v native (one recommendation is Philips Respironics PR System One). The less voltage conversions you have to do the more efficient the overall system.

I built (you can buy) a LiFe battery that will power it for several nights without a powered humidifier, 2 short nights with humidifier. Damp camp areas like the forests you can forgo the humidifier or just run it in passive mode. The advantage to the LiFe battery is that it can be recharged by the bike while you are riding.
I was going to mention that part. If you can avoid a power inverter it is better. See if they have a 12V power supply.

Do you have any plans for that LiFe battery that you made? That might be nice even in our camper. There are times that we are dry camping and the only reason I am running the generator is because of my CPAP. For instance this weekend it is cool enough that if we were going out we wouldn't run the AC or fans so the generator is just for my machine. I could recharge it during the day when we run the generator.

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
Thus far in limited camping I've either done without or carried an extension cord and powered my home unit as usual. I never use the humidifier anyhow so that is not a problem for me.

Mine is a ResMed.

I have not checked whether it supports a 12V DC power input but it might since there is a transformer in the power line. The idea of carrying a high capacity battery and charging it during the day's ride is very appealing. It might make one of the travel units a viable option, too.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Do you have any plans for that LiFe battery that you made? That might be nice even in our camper.
Well, it no longer exists as it previously did. I broke my 20a/hr battery into 2 10's. We were doing some air travel that ended in remote areas and sleeping on a boat. Reading the rules the FAA has limits on the capacity of units brought on a plane (100 w/hr carry-on, 160 with airline approval,). My original unit was too big, made from 8pcs of 31820 cells, splitting in half I was slightly over the allowed capacity but the label I made to stick on the cases (make it look legit commercial made pack) had a slightly fudged number so it was all good. ;) Those cells were nice that I could arrange them in a custom made box for use as my primary battery on the motorcycle.

If you want to build/buy a unit I would recommend the 20ah prismatic unit from here. Already in a plastic box and ready to go. Well, just needs a BMS attached and that can even be slipped inside the plastic case. A nice little 12amp unit is here. You're looking at $150 for the battery and the BMS. You can hook this right up to the RV/motorycle while driving afor recharging. I might add a small (10 amp) manual reset circuit breaker in the case just to be safe. The BMS has a current limiter on it but I would want a secondary safety.

This combination should let you get 4 nights sleep (sub 8 hrs each and sans humidifier) before needing a recharge. A little more money then lead-acid but lighter weight and you can deep cycle these a few thousand times before you make any significant impact on capacity.

This will also work to run a small 12v fan (like this) and simultaneously re-charge USB devices while running your CPAP machine. Yeah... we are getting into glamping territory now! ;)

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
I have a 3D Printer so another excuse to make something with that.
Yeah if you want make a custom size you easily can after you finish printing the garage. The 20ah unit I mentioned earler is a really good deal when you compare $/watt. I've had good luck with that vendor.

Last edited:

Wes

Site Supporter
Bike
07 ST1300, DRZ400S
I've been using a HDM Z1 Auto https://hdmusa.com/products-old/z1-auto-2/ since last November and it has worked great for me. I've used it probably 14 nights now. I buy some of the HME (Heat Moisture Exchange) units on Amazon as the humidifier. I wasn't impressed with the HDM PowerShell battery setup, especially for their price, so when camping, I use a Medistrom Pilot-12 Plus battery. 8 of those 14 nights. There is a newer Medistrom Pilot-12 Lite that is smaller, but I bought a refurbished Plus model for a big discount and it has been great. There is an adapter cord set you buy so it will work with the Z1. I get a solid 2 nights of 8 hours. I recharge using the Medistrom 12 volt car charger on a power outlet on the bike while I ride. It fits very nicely and compact in a soft sided lunch box https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AJECK00/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1.

Last edited:

Wes

Site Supporter
Bike
07 ST1300, DRZ400S
I looked to see if I still had my notes on the CPAP battery options I found late last year. Yay, I found them! The prices shown were what I found then, I'm not sure what they might be now.

HDM PowerShell with Extended Life Battery - $360
MAXOAK K5(Model) Power Bank - $300
Freedom Travel CPAP Battery - $270 + $65 Power Inverter
Medistrom Pilot-12 Lite - $340 + $15 Cable Kit
Medistrom Pilot-12 Plus - $290 or $138 Used + $15 Cable Kit

OP
OP
bdalameda

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
I was attracted to the HDM Z1 as it is so small and compact. I read a lot of reviews that were not too positive and wondered if the unit was improved from the manufacturer now that it has been out a while. It is also cheaper than a lot of the small units. Also looking at the Remed Air Mini - it is a chunk of change though!

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Look around and find a machine that runs on 12v native
BTW... when I mentioned this I meant look for used machines. I picked one up for free. His insurance paid for it and he tried it for a few months. Decided it wasn't working, couoldn't find a good mask fit, and just decided to get rid of it.

fnmag

R.I.P. - 2020
Rest In Peace
Bike
'06 ST1300/Burgmn400
This is a good idea.
The insurance companies seem to through a lot of money at CPAP machines and the middle men are often 'pushing' clients to buy more masks and even machines then they need.
One can often find new/near new machines.

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
BTW... when I mentioned this I meant look for used machines. I picked one up for free. His insurance paid for it and he tried it for a few months. Decided it wasn't working, couoldn't find a good mask fit, and just decided to get rid of it.
Where would you begin to look for something like that and if you found it what about the programming? At least with the two units I have, they had to be programmed by the staff.

Wes

Site Supporter
Bike
07 ST1300, DRZ400S
I was attracted to the HDM Z1 as it is so small and compact. I read a lot of reviews that were not too positive and wondered if the unit was improved from the manufacturer now that it has been out a while. It is also cheaper than a lot of the small units. Also looking at the Remed Air Mini - it is a chunk of change though!
When I was shopping, the Z1 Auto was better rated than the normal Z1 Fixed that is a constant pressure. I see they now have a Z2 Fixed and Z2 Auto model.

Wes

Site Supporter
Bike
07 ST1300, DRZ400S
This is a good idea.
The insurance companies seem to through a lot of money at CPAP machines and the middle men are often 'pushing' clients to buy more masks and even machines then they need.
One can often find new/near new machines.
Most insurance companies won't cover a travel CPAP.

Wes

Site Supporter
Bike
07 ST1300, DRZ400S
Nope they will cover only one CPAP. At least my insurance company only covers one.
My insurance only covers regular home CPAPs and it applies it to the deductible, so until that is met, well you know how that goes. And then only once every few years.

Top Bottom