Apple Says Motorcycles Break iPhones

Bike
2010 ST1300
This is why its important to mount your iPhone on a smooth bike that does not vibrate - an ST11 or 1300! Don't send this article to my friend who uses his iPhone on his DR650.

Bike
2007 STinkerbell
But they’re not wrong though. That much vibration and exposure to sun is sure to mess with interconnections and delicately combined components. Same was true for fancy camera lenses back in the day too.

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
Fairly common issue. More so since smartphones are being used more and more for GPS functions. There are some mounts that can mitigate it though. eg.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
What Apple really says:

Exposure to vibrations, like those generated by high-powered motorcycle engines, might impact iPhone cameras

Exposing your iPhone to high amplitude vibrations within certain frequency ranges, specifically those generated by high-power motorcycle engines, can degrade the performance of the camera system.

None of my iPhones had optical image stabilization until my current phone so I was able to go many thousands of miles with it in a RAM mount on my Helibar riser with zero damage to the phone.

I've yet to ride with my new phone on the ST and I probably won't put it in the mount. I've got a tackform mount and a Perfect Squeeze mount that probably won't use the Buzz-Kill. So a new PS and Buzz-Kill might be an answer to a potential problem but it's more money than I care to spend.

Bike
2005 st1300
Fairly common issue. More so since smartphones are being used more and more for GPS functions. There are some mounts that can mitigate it though. eg.

I have one of these and find it too weak/light. While it may dampen vibration, I find over bumps a phone bounces too much. Since I switched to running a 7"tablet between the bars, the buzzkill is much more weak now. I will add, in their defense that they seem to have upgraded/modified the design. My buzzkill is square, whereas the one you link to is rectangular. Perhaps that makes a difference for the better.
I have been thinking of pulling the trigger on a vibration damper made by quadlock to see if it is sturdier, but again, with a tablet, i think it will be inadequate, but I can use it with my phone in my auto... https://www.quadlockcase.ca/collections/shop-mounts/products/vibration-dampener?variant=32819765379147

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Yet another reason for not buying an iPhone
:rofl1:
People have said similar about the CTX1300 for various reasons.

News flash — any phone using OIS could be at risk. How many phones were designed to be mounted on a bike? OIS is a somewhat newer feature in the timeline of cellphones and very likely no manufacturer planned for mounting on a bike.

Maybe at some point someone will design a phone fit for purpose. Or they already have - that purpose not being for mounting on a bike.

Apple's Support doc does inadvertently make a case for using a dedicated GPS on a bike as opposed to adapting something not fit for purpose.

What would be helpful is knowing what bikes/cradles/mounting locations were used in phone failure.

Bike
2010 Honda ST13
I think Apple could have snagged a great marketing opportunity by making a phone mount that was resistant to vibration and then saying something like:

"unlike other phone mounts, our Iphone-specific mount will dampen vibration and increase the life of your phone for ALL of your active lifestyle choices such as..."

rwthomas1

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100 non-ABS
A Samsung, Motorola and armored Kyocera, all sub $200 and no problems. Never got the iPhone thing.

RT

Bike
2005 st1300
All electronics are susceptible to damage from heat and/or vibration. I don't believe it's an apple only issue

Reactions: jrp

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
:rofl1:
People have said similar about the CTX1300 for various reasons.

News flash — any phone using OIS could be at risk. How many phones were designed to be mounted on a bike? OIS is a somewhat newer feature in the timeline of cellphones and very likely no manufacturer planned for mounting on a bike.

Maybe at some point someone will design a phone fit for purpose. Or they already have - that purpose not being for mounting on a bike.

Apple's Support doc does inadvertently make a case for using a dedicated GPS on a bike as opposed to adapting something not fit for purpose.

What would be helpful is knowing what bikes/cradles/mounting locations were used in phone failure.
Are you implying the ST1300 is also in that class? Same vibes with my CTX as with my ST1100 as with my Burgman 650. I guess that and using a Pixel phone only is why I've had no issues with a phone mounted on my bikes.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Are you implying the ST1300 is also in that class?
I've seen no data whatsoever as to what bikes have caused OIS failure in what phones.

Like iPhones and possibly Samsung and HTC phones some Pixels didn't have OIS and now some do. Whether yours does or not and whether or not it's more resistant to vibration than an iPhone is mere speculation at this point at least in this peanut gallery.

So your comment of "another reason..." lacks merit in so far as camera failure due to vibration is concerned. That is it's a matter of preference and not established fact which is fine when stated as such.

Does your Pixel have OIS? Is the Pixel a more study build than whichever iPhones have had failures? Were any of these iPhones mounted on CTXs/1100s/Burgmans? Where and how were they mounted? No data on which to make much less support any statements of fact.

Just more fodder for knee-jerk reactions.

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
That was taken WAY too seriously. It's just personal opinion that I don't go for the iPhone or anything made by Apple... yet.
But to clarify. On my CTX and 1100 the phone was "mounted" in the glove boxes. Same vibrations can be found there as anywhere on those bikes... which is really not so much as on SOME bikes.
On my Burgman the phone is mounted top center of the dash hood on a short RAM arm. There is a little bit of dampening from the flex of the short arm and 2 rubber RAM balls at the ends.
I have the Pixel 4 and I think it does have image stabilization. I've attempted video with it mounted on my Burgman but notice that sometimes the image does some crazy harmonic thing once in a while and then stabilizes. No issues while not on the bike yet.

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
For $1k+, all mobile phones should be ruggedized, waterproof and vibration proof. I keep my $80 Motorola E Play in my jacket pocket. It's probably time to upgrade to the next gen cheapo Motorola though. I've had my current one forever.

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles

From the web site:
A MUST-HAVE FOR THUMPERS.
Single-cylinder bikes like to vibrate. And that vibration can kill the image-stabilization mechanism in your phone's camera. Our Buzz-Kill vibration isolator fixes this problem by damping out those camera-killing vibrations

I am sure some bikes vibrate more than others, most of us are riding v4's. Mine is pretty smooth. I have a Heli ram mount on the riser and the GPS on the top of dash. The GPS is absolutely taking a beating up there, the phone not so much.

jrp

Bike
ST1100AW
STOC #
I use a ruggedized & waterproofed smartphone (Kyocera) on my bike. It is built for high vibration/temp environments. Don't do any video with it though; currently use it only for navigation and playing music. I didn't have to install a SIM card and I can use the apps on it when connected to WIFI. Since the Kyocera doesn't have a data connection, I can't get real-time traffic updates on the navigation app; if I wanted that, then I would have the option to install a SIM and pay for a data plan. My regular smartphone stays in the left hand storage pocket rolled up in a microfiber towel to help damp vibrations.

Bike
2012 ST 1300
2024 Miles
STOC #
I don't know what the heck everyone is talking about. I have 400,000 miles on STs carrying an iphone. No problems ever, except for overheating when it's 100 degrees and I leave it on the charger. Solution: Unplug it.

Bike
2018 GL1800 Airbag
STOC #
I have the Hondo Garage isolator. It does have some movement, but nothing I find objectional. Beats losing the focus on your phone.

Top Bottom