Are all DOT 4 brake fluids the same?

Duporth

Site Supporter
Bike
2021 BMW R1250GS
I am planning to do the brake fluid flush (and clutch) on my ST1300, so I need 3 bottles of DOT 4 fluid.

A question comes to mind; are all DOT 4 brake fluids the same, or like engine oils, are there some secret and beneficial additives in some brands of brake fluid?

Thank you, D

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
My limited knowledge has taught me that there are minor differences between manufacturers. The most significant one that I am aware of is with the rated boiling points, which, in the case of the wet boiling point in particular, is a reflection of the fluids ability to deal with absorbed moisture.

Any brake fluid meeting the DOT 4 specification will be suitable in any vehicle that requires DOT 4 brake fluid, assuming that it is being driven under the conditions that the vehicle manufacturer intended. i.e. public road use as opposed to being used as a race track motorcycle.
This also assumes that the fluid will be flushed at the intervals intended by the manufacturer.

In my opinion, more so than a particular brand, it is important to buy brake fluid from an established and reputable brand as opposed to a no-name/unknown brand fluid such as is often found in convenience stores- I have no desire to use brake fluid labeled as Top Dog Dot 4 Brake Fluid that comes from parts unknown. Hopefully this increases the odds that the fluid that is in the container is actually what the container states that it is, and that it actually does meet all DOT 4 standards needed to be labeled as such. Which one of those particular brands is of less importance to me.

Bike
2002 ST1300A
DOT4 specification is restrictive enough, so that manufacturers don’t have much area to improvise (as opposed to oil).
Make sure it is a reputable brand - as Andrew stated above, I also try to avoid generic/random brands. Better visit a bigger automotive shop, where DOT4 is sold on a daily basis and doesn’t sit on shelf for long. Then buy a brand you can recognize.

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
I buy Prestone in the 12oz size and change out fluid every 2 years. I buy at Walmart where turnover is good, as is the price.

Bike
2012 GL 1800
STOC #
I use Prestone also. Been using it for as long as I can remember in all my vehicles. I have never had any brake problems. Changing it every few years is the important part.

OP
OP
Duporth

Duporth

Site Supporter
Bike
2021 BMW R1250GS
Thank you everyone for your helpful replies. The LelandWest site is interesting (thanks mello d) and it is clear there are many different recipes used by manufacturers.
I can buy Castrol in a few different DOT4 specs locally, so off I go :)
D

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
I'd focus on MFG date and shelf life...
I also use an already unsealed container (regardless of it's screw cap) only for flushing, the final fill always comes from a fleshly opened bottle...

Bike
2010 ST1300
just when you thought " all the same " if it has a dot 4 rating.. Look at the different boiling points, big difference https://thebuildjournal.com/tech-guides/ultimate-brake-fluid-comparison-guide/
If you look at the DOT 4 fluids only, the differences are not that great*. A better metric would be to check the specs for DOT 4 and see if the brand of your choice falls within those parameters. That is all you need, unless you are going racing. If your brake fluid never goes over the boiling point of water, does brake fluid with a dry bp of 500º +/- 15º matter? A better question is, how old is the fluid in your system?

*I think there were one or two outliers.

Bike
R1200rt
If you look at the DOT 4 fluids only, the differences are not that great*. A better metric would be to check the specs for DOT 4 and see if the brand of your choice falls within those parameters. That is all you need, unless you are going racing. If your brake fluid never goes over the boiling point of water, does brake fluid with a dry bp of 500º +/- 15º matter? A better question is, how old is the fluid in your system?

*I think there were one or two outliers.
To me it looks like the standard is pretty loose but the prices of the "same stuff" is wide ranging. I'll have to check what kind of fluid my Bugatti uses:rofl1:

Bike
2017 GL1800
I typically use Prestone DOT 4. I use it because it is a water clear fluid. Others I have used seem to have a yellowish tinge to them.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I pretty much stick to Valvolene and Prestone brands. It’s more important to do the flush and bleed on time and completely rather than obsessing over brand.

Top Bottom