Are we Crazy to Keep the ST1300, or Crazy to Sell It??

Bike
2006 ST1300
Hello Fellow ST1300 Owners,

I have a 2006 that I bought a year ago that needed every fluid replaced, a new SMC, brake caliper cleanup and new pads, etc. As of today, she is running beautifully with no problems. But, part of me thinks that means it is time to sell it……the ECU failing, the alternator failing, could turn it into a giant paperweight. Parts seem to be becoming harder and harder to come by. I’ve never owned a motorcycle this old.

Does an aftermarket vendor eventually take over where Honda has left off and start providing parts, or do you just part out your motorcycle you can’t fix anymore?

Just thought I’d get a conversation going.

Ray

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
As I've told many people, if you are going to keep the ST1300 you need to do what I did with my ST1100s - buy parts bikes.
They don't take up much space and you'll have what you need to keep her going.
A few parts used and you have more than paid for them.
I have 4 running ST1100s and 4 ST1100 parts bikes. ;)
That is if you don't mind working on them yourself as most shops will not touch anything over 10 years old.

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
It's crazy to read doom into a bike when the sample pool is .01% of the bikes on the road.

So the alternators are failing and can't be bought? You're the first to spread that rumor.

Ask @Willsmotorcycle what year his bike was sold as new.

My bike has been on a trailer once because of a break down or parts failure since new in 2009. That failure was because the second $18 fuel pump I installed quit at 175,000 miles of use.

OP
OP
rdmnt2002
Bike
2006 ST1300
As I've told many people, if you are going to keep the ST1300 you need to do what I did with my ST1100s - buy parts bikes.
They don't take up much space and you'll have what you need to keep her going.
A few parts used and you have more than paid for them.
I have 4 running ST1100s and 4 ST1100 parts bikes. ;)
That is if you don't mind working on them yourself as most shops will not touch anything over 10 years old.
Thanks Phil!!

OP
OP
rdmnt2002
Bike
2006 ST1300
It's crazy to read doom into a bike when the sample pool is .01% of the bikes on the road.

So the alternators are failing and can't be bought? You're the first to spread that rumor.

Ask @Willsmotorcycle what year his bike was sold as new.

My bike has been on a trailer once because of a break down or parts failure since new in 2009. That failure was because the second $18 fuel pump I installed quit at 175,000 miles of use.
You seem angry at me. I was just getting thoughts and tips on owning a near antique. I’m not trying to start a rumor. A person posted here that they struggled to find an alternator and when they did it was just under $900 dollars. I think it is awesome that the ST has provided you with so many fun and reliable miles……it is because of that reputation I bought it in the first place.

Thanks for responding and may you have many more miles on your ST!!

Bike
2009 ST1300
STOC #
As you can see in my avatar, I had some repairs to make on my 2009 ST1300 this year. I was able to do it with a combination of salvage parts, new parts easily available online, and repairing some parts. Adding my ST onto my multiple bike policy from Progressive for liability only cost me $9 more per year. In Montana, I get a permanent registration. So it's a no brainer for me to keep mine since I have space.

edit: here's a link to my ST ordering thread:

Last edited:
Bike
VStrom 650
Ray, ( damn good name, just saying) with any old motor you have a few options.
Ride it until it won't go anymore and sell it to the highest bidder.
Ride it until it won't go anymore and part it out.
Ride it until it won't go anymore and park it at the back of your garage. A garage decoration if you will.
Ride it until it won't go anymore and become the buyer and hoarder of spare parts, there are plenty on here and for good reason. Then strip and rebuild whenever the mood takes you.
My option, you've done the hard work, ride it, enjoy it and service/fix it if you can. It might go :nuke1: next ride or you may be :oilleak: for the next ten years. Don't overthink it, enjoy it. Then do one of the others.
Upt.

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
Never mind the angries!

Are we Crazy to Keep the ST1300, or Crazy to Sell It??

Only thing crazy would be to not ask yourself the question!

And it's not just a parts/reliability question, but also knowledge.

Think where the community would be headed to if Larry had just exhaled his last Whisper on his recent trip to the butcher!

And how fewer 1300s would be on the road without the Mellow dude's dedication to this site.

......ST1300 Owners...

And just check how many of us actually still ride an ST! So many great bikes out there, and more coming.

Me? I just like the way it sounds. I know: Crazy!

Last edited:
Bike
2010 Honda ST13
Hello Fellow ST1300 Owners,

I have a 2006 that I bought a year ago that needed every fluid replaced, a new SMC, brake caliper cleanup and new pads, etc. As of today, she is running beautifully with no problems. But, part of me thinks that means it is time to sell it……the ECU failing, the alternator failing, could turn it into a giant paperweight. Parts seem to be becoming harder and harder to come by. I’ve never owned a motorcycle this old.

Does an aftermarket vendor eventually take over where Honda has left off and start providing parts, or do you just part out your motorcycle you can’t fix anymore?

Just thought I’d get a conversation going.

Ray
Other than basic maintenance, I don't enjoy mechanical work anymore. And I especially don't want a parts bike sitting around in my back yard.

So that pretty much leaves me with a bike I love and works well... for now. When either of those things fail to be true, I will sell my 2010 ST1300 for which I will take a big hit especially if it's no longer running and buy something newer.

Since it's unlikely that I'll be taking the multi-day tours that I used to, I'd probably get a slightly smaller and lighter bike that would still be comfortable for 2-up day trips.

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
Well thank you for the good wish.
I plan to ride my paperweight until it it won't go anymore just like Ray said. It has a stablemate now but it stills gets rode hard (503 miles Tuesday) and left outside in the rain just yesterday!

Over and out,
Ray, (3 or 4) more Ray's here than Joe's!

Last edited:

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
You seem angry at me. I was just getting thoughts and tips on owning a near antique. I’m not trying to start a rumor. A person posted here that they struggled to find an alternator and when they did it was just under $900 dollars. I think it is awesome that the ST has provided you with so many fun and reliable miles……it is because of that reputation I bought it in the first place.

It's the st1100 alternator that fails......

Terminator2

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300
My 2006 ST1300 has 89k miles. I've had it 7years. Stranded 3 times- Once, rear tire failure, I didn't check air pressure first week of purchase. Once, tire failure again, my error- don't use heavy valve stem caps- the stem will crack. Once, Sept 2023- alternator fail- ABS light will blink. Even when fuel pump failed, after sitting 20 minutes, the bike got me home 40 miles away (In the California Sierra Mountains)- how cool is that. I've had older vehicles most of my life. My experience is........Maintenance, Planned Preventive Maintenance, and avoid heavy abuse. The therapy my bike continues to give me, is worth every reasonable penny it costs. Enjoy yours :)

Important STbragging update! When the alternator failed.....I was 2miles from home :)

Last edited:

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
Having owned a ST1100 for 10 years and nearly 90000 miles I traded for a 2003 ST1300 (New). After 12 years and 130000+ miles I had to try something new. On a fluke of fate I traded for a 2014 (New) FJR1300. Now that bike is 9 years old and I was going to trade for a new 2019 Versys 1000 SE but could not seem to let the FJR go. So now I have both. Keep them as long as you want but remember life is short and variety is the spice of life. That is why I have four bikes in the garage to choose from. Enjoy whatever decision you make.

SAM_5901.JPG

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Remember life is short and variety is the spice of life. That is why I have four bikes in the garage to choose from. Enjoy whatever decision you make.
I have four bikes in my garage too - they just all sort of look alike ... :biggrin:

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
You seem angry at me
No, he's not, he just seems that way. I do love my ST and would buy another. I bought my 2016n in 2020 with 0 miles, now with 65k, not once have I worried about having to source a part... If it happens, as others have said, I'll buy another and start Frankenstein. They are great reliable bikes and as if it needed mention, they're Hondas.

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
My 2006 ST1300 has 89k miles. I've had it 7years. Stranded 3 times- Once, rear tire failure, I didn't air check pressure first week of purchase. Once, tire failure again, my error- don't use heavy valve stem caps- they will crack valve stems. Once, Sept 2023- alternator fail- ABS light will blink. Even when fuel pump failed, after sitting 20 minutes, the bike got me home 40 miles away (In the California Sierra Mountains)- how cool is that. I've had older vehicles most of my life. My experience is........Maintenance, Planned Preventive Maintenance, and avoid heavy abuse. The therapy my bike continues to give me, is worth every reasonable penny it costs. Enjoy yours :)
Out of all the years I have been riding, 41 years, never once has any of my bikes left me stranded on the side of the road, with the exception of my old R100GS BMW.Twice. Lost a diode board on the way home from work. And on a return trip from the Inuvik NWT, blew out a tire in Buffalo, Wyoming. Not able to fix it. I have had multiple flat tires on road trips, but the gummy worm plug kit resolved those in a few min.

Top Bottom