ATGATT, Oh yeah!

WilliGoat

Be willing to make decisions.
Bike
2011 C14
STOC #
Took a spill on the bike Friday, along with several other riders. We had five 1300s lined up on the side of the road. It has seen better days, I had a couple scrapes and a pretty deep cut which required stitches.

The ST took a good hit to the front wheel, took a chunk out of the wheel and bent and cracked the rotor.

Was wearing all my gear and it looks much worse than I do. Thanks Joe Rocket (gloves, jacket, pants, and boots) and KBC(helmet) for saving 99.9% of my skin.

I have to get the towing company to send my gear to me, I post some photos of it when it gets here.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Hope you heal fast... glad you were prepared.

NCrider

Andrew Seawell
Bike
'05 ST1300A
STOC #
Glad you are mostly ok.

You and several other riders?
I'd really like to hear that story.

I was just getting ready to write a post asking what you all thought about riding in just shorts and t-shirts like so many Harley riders do. In some other posts with pictures from Killboy you see so many people with out gear on. After reading about your accident I'm not going there.

I would like to hear the details of your accident.

Jeff in Granite Bay.

OP
OP
WilliGoat

WilliGoat

Bike
2011 C14
STOC #
Thanks all. We were all at GASTOC, eight of us on a ride. Everyone doing well through the moutains. The fourth rider, I was two behind him, in line dragged lowered pegs and couldn't make it though the decreasing radius curve. Target fixation took over for the two guys behind him, me being one of them. I did all the wrong things, got distracted by bikes going down in front of me, grabbed some brakes, rear tire broke traction and the bike slid out from under me. I remember seeing the last two bikes make contact, right bag with left fairing, and ride up the side of the mountain.

Like I said, all the gear worked as advertised. I felt my helmet hit the ground. It is a modular KBC. it stayed shut and protected my noggin. Not even a headache afterwards.

Karen, I think the sleeve of the jacket must have twisted around. I looked at it, but did not inspect it too closely yet. It was a Joe Rocket Phoenix mesh and has padding where the cut is, the right forearm snap was undone and I believe at some point I tumbled. Probably when I left the pavement. I had a lot of dirt in my shirt and my shoulder rash was caked with dirt. Kind of makes me rethink wearing mesh, although it did keep everything intact.

Both the jacket and pants have holes. I need to get those and the helmet back from the towing folks.

My gloves had a tear on the right wrist and abrasions on the plastic knuckle protectors and rubber pieces on the fingers. Right boot has a pretty scuffed right toe and a little separation on the leather toe patch on the inside toe. I will get some photos of those posted later today.

Thanks again for the comments and well wishes. Glad no one was more seriously injured than they were and thank the Lord that I am moved to ride ATGATT.

I will be talking with the insurance company when I get the police report and see what the verdict is on the ST. I think no matter what I end up with, I will be hanging around the forum. The group at GASTOC were a great group of guys and I enjoyed the rides we did get in Thirsday and Friday. I am pretty sure I will be able to learn from the get off and practice some different riding skills.

You think those guys were great. Just think of the guys in the area that couldn't make it.:D Good to hear that you are back home and that you are hear to talk about it... I guess I should have warned you about those Characters you were meeting....:D

OP
OP
WilliGoat

WilliGoat

Bike
2011 C14
STOC #
You think those guys were great. Just think of the guys in the area that couldn't make it.:D Good to hear that you are back home and that you are hear to talk about it... I guess I should have warned you about those Characters you were meeting....:D
Yeah, but we made a great cast of characters. No pressure to keep up, always ride your own ride. I had a friend with a Star tell me thats why he hates riding with people he doesn't know. But honestly, if it had been him, or Mrs. Goat, the distraction would have been the same and the results could have been very well the same. He says I need to get a cruiser now, but it will be repair the ST or get another sport tourer of some sort and take the lessons learned and apply them in practice and hopefully an emergency situation should it present again.

I am horrible with names, but glad to have met everyone. I remember a few and one of those because Terry posted on the GASTOC thread and included his name.:)

Ride on and be safe all.

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
Glad you are mostly ok. Sounds like you may have been running a little bit faster than I was when I low sided my bike. A lot of similar damage to the gear, my bike wasn't quite as damaged as yours. I didn't have any other bikes in my path when I went down. Insurance covered msrp for the bike parts and a depreciated price on all the gear as well. All new gear and most of the right front of the bike now.
ATGATT saves skin! and brains and bones and ...

too bad those pepsi cans weren't wearing any gear. :D

Scooter

This space for rent...
Bike
2019 BMW R1250RT
STOC #
I guess I'm somewhat confused, nothing new there... :eek::

Sounds like you're saying a total of five riders went down on this little escapade?!? How did everybody else fare??? Or am I reading too much into this?

BTW.. glad you're OK.

John Anthony

Bike
'03 ST1300A
STOC #
Glad to hear you're OK and thanks for being candid. These are situations we can all learn from. It is amazing how fast things can happen, even at moderate speed, when something starts going south on a motorcycle.

John

DixieFlyer

Terry Melton
Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #

Sounds like you're saying a total of five riders went down on this little escapade?!? How did everybody else fare??? Or am I reading too much into this?

BTW.. glad you're OK.
OK.......to add a little more detail I was the rider behind Will. Left a good gap and saw his brake lights when he entered the curve and then lost sight of him. As I entered the curve, I saw the 3 downed riders, made the apex, and aggressively braked. (Bad move) I was out of sight of the rider behind me and he entered the curve with me almost stopped in his line. His left lower fairing struck my right bag and launched both of us into the embankment 20 feet up the road from the downed riders. This part of the incident was totally my fault -- I instinctively (wrong) slowed at the sight of the other riders/bikes in the ditch. Like Will I fixated on the group in the ditch leaving the rider behind me with nowhere to go. No injuries thankfully (except my pride) to me or the other rider. As Will said a learning experience.
Glad no one was seriously injured. I was able to complete the rest of the ride and make my way home in the driving rain the following day. Will deal with Progressive today.
Regarding recent posts of bags falling off -- mine took a hellava impact, ripping the painted cover completely off, but the latching mechanism kept the other part securely mounted to the frame -- I was kinda impressed at how tough it is.
Rgds,
Terry

Last edited:
OP
OP
WilliGoat

WilliGoat

Bike
2011 C14
STOC #

BTW.. glad you're OK.
Yes, five riders total went down. I do not remember if I saw the first or second go down, but I know I saw at least one bike sliding and did everything worng after that.

All riders got up from the get off and were able to wait out non emergency transportation. Three rode bike from the scene. Two of us did go to the hospital. I was treated and released but the other rider was kept with some more serious, but not really life threatening injuries. The Lord was looking out for us that day.

Like Terry posted, the last two bikes almost made it through, but one rear ended the other though and push it off the road. I was the third rider in line. Four of the five bikes were ridden back down to a restaurant a few miles down the road. Mine has a chunk out of the from wheel and a broken rotor. The fairing pushed the dash down far enough actually bend the key and turn the bike off. It also kept the bars from fully turning. Mine was towed from the scene and from the restaurant three more were taken as well. One was found to have a broken radiator when it got the the restaurant.

OP
OP
WilliGoat

WilliGoat

Bike
2011 C14
STOC #
Glad to hear you're OK and thanks for being candid. These are situations we can all learn from. It is amazing how fast things can happen, even at moderate speed, when something starts going south on a motorcycle.

John
I definately do not mind being candid about when I went through and remember, did wrong and right, etc. Although I prefer not to go into too much detail about what the other riders did or may have done. Kind of makes me feel I may be overstepping. I know three of the other four riders are forum members and one has posted. I will let the others post as they see fit. I had lengthy conversations with two others about what they did wrong and right, but it is their prerogative to talk to anyone else about that, not that I wouldn't want to share as much as possible, I just think it is not my place to.

Top Bottom