ATGATT pictures

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #
A while back there were pictures on the web of a girl's scars ( due to falling off at high speed and sliding )...

I used these to convince the bride she should wear gear more. Another has ask if they're still out there to convince his better half too.

Anyone remember the link ??

ps didn't see them on search here

ugh...... what a graphic reminder. Thanks. I'm forwarding to my daughter who "only rides a scooter and doesn't need a helmet".

Also I need to re-thank ST-owners members, who in early 2005 made me feel so welcome that I bought in on the concept of protective gear for me and my passengers. Pre-ST it was shorts and a t-shirt for me. :banghead:

Shadowfax-ST

As ridden by Pat
Bike
White 08 ST1300
:plus1::ukflag1:

It was the Brittany story that put paid to my Son riding shotgun on Shadowfax with only his motocross armour and light racing gear, which just isn't going to be ATGATT-worthy in a fall on tarmac at 70mph.

He's a mite pissed though, and we're going to have to get something decent for him soon. The guilt when I went for a quick 60-mile bimble on my own in the sunny countryside the other day was more than I could really wear. He really misses the trips out - and needless to say I miss taking him :(

The thought of spilling us and worrying over how well he tumbled is a nightmare. There's no way I could live with myself if he got a major injury because that day was only a short ride and we'd be safe - worse if the injury could have been prevented with the 'proper' gear.

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
I'd rather see money saved on a bike, spent on ATGATT. Used bike rather than new, small bike rather than big, whatever it takes, get the gear FIRST!

Chel_in_IL

The great affair is to move
Bike
2006 BMW R1200RT
Seems most of my students in the MSF classes have a brand new Harley in the garage and no money left for gear. I try and take mine with me if I don't ride to the class, so I can at least show people the advantages and such. I even wear my mesh Olympia pants with shorts while teaching. :) Dang those things are pretty cool on a hot day out on the range!

Bike
2012 GL1800 III
Just got back in from riding today, N. Ga temp was about 90F road about 70+ miles. Road secondary, Highway and light in town traffic. Alpinestar gore tex boots, Great and comfortable. Joe Rocket Ballistic Mesh comfortable, Teknic Violator gloves awesome.. and Jeans ( Yes I know, but my Joe Rocket Alter Ego's showed up via fedex while I was riding). I exchanged a Teknic Violator Jacket . waiting for the larger size to arrive. Currently using a EXL Modular helmet , while I wait for my HJC Grimm to arrive.
When I bought my st1300, I told my wife I used up all my motorcycle luck when I was a kid , and I wanted to grow up to be a grumpy old man and yell at all the kids to get off my lawn. She had no issues with me buying all the needed protective gear I wanted :) She's so cool .. :07biker:

Bike
2008 ST1300
STOC #
A very important reminder here. Next time my GF complains about the heat, I will remind her of Brittany Morrow. Thanks Tom for resurrecting the link.

Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
In my opinion:

Riding without gear is your way of saying to the world "I don't care if I live or die, and no one cares enough about me for me to ride with gear."

Its called depression, go to a hospital, see a Dr. they have meds for that.

Mike has an Uncle that rides with out any gear. I told the 17 year old son (whom I adore) to confront his father and ask him flat out..."what if I am not ready to give up having a father in my life?" I don't know if he has come up with the guts to do it or not.
Its that Karen and its Denial. "I'm gonna be careful and just not go down" yea right... I tell everyone when they ask me... No One ever plans to have an accident... but they happen dont they?
(Aren't you hot in that? Yea, but sweat dont hurt ;) )

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
:plus1::ukflag1:

It was the Brittany story that put paid to my Son riding shotgun on Shadowfax with only his motocross armour and light racing gear, which just isn't going to be ATGATT-worthy in a fall on tarmac at 70mph.

He's a mite pissed though, and we're going to have to get something decent for him soon. The guilt when I went for a quick 60-mile bimble on my own in the sunny countryside the other day was more than I could really wear. He really misses the trips out - and needless to say I miss taking him :(

The thought of spilling us and worrying over how well he tumbled is a nightmare. There's no way I could live with myself if he got a major injury because that day was only a short ride and we'd be safe - worse if the injury could have been prevented with the 'proper' gear.
At least there is childs sized gear availble in the UK and Europe. It's nearly impossible to find anything other than Hardley leather jackets (make just for "looks") and helmets in kids sizes here in the states.

We utilized some oversized MX pants that we added internal "pockets" and bought CE armor for some protection. Breann would wear these as an "overpant".

We were able to find a women's XS TourMaster Transition jacket (just like Dad's, but silver!) for her to use; it was a bit big at first but fits her very well now. And now that she's a bit bigger, we found some womens size 4 Fieldsheer Mercury overpants (that matches her jacket well) so she's good to go! Steel-toed work boots and a new helmet finish off the list. She shares gloves (WnS heated ones or Teknic) with mommy.

She's a big ATGATT proponant now; ofter commenting on riders that she sees that are "less prepared". Teach 'em young.....

Attachments

Bike
2012 GL1800 III
I went riding with a buddy of mine Sunday. I get to his house to see if he wanted to go for a ride, I'm in a Teknic Violator Jacket, gloves . Joe Rocket Alter Ego pants, AlpineStar boots, and HJC fullface looking like joe belly biker. He jumps on his HD, with a sleeveless shirt, t-shoes and a skid lid. I asked him, you know a leather jacket is cheaper than a skin graph ?. He went in and put on steel toe boots and a riding leather jacket.. It's a start .. :)

Bike
'05 ST - R.I.P.
Reading this post and all the positive responses thus far makes me proud to be a member of this forum. Sometimes, being a hard-core ATGATT proponent is a lonely business. Not so here.

Face it, all of us like to think we're expert riders with good horse-sense. We have razor-sharp reflexes, we have 100% control of the bike, we pay 100% attention at all times. Surely, that Buick swapping lanes ahead knows we're here. We anticipate that little old lady pulling out of the Piggly Wiggly. We somehow sense that drunk driver in our lane around that blind corner ahead. We're vigilent, we're aware, we're omnipotent. Hell, if all else fails, we're lucky!

Sadly, not true. I've had a few 'graceless dismounts' of the unplanned variety in 40-odd years riding motorcycles, and I'll bet you have too. I'm grateful I had the gear each time. How about you? In my case, most of the wear and tear was to the gear, which is far more replaceable than the parts and pieces of my sorry old carcass. Of course, none of these incidents were in any way my fault...

Some of your friends may snicker when you pull on all that hot, restrictive gear before firing up for a ride, but I say let 'em snicker. Wear the gear!

Shadowfax-ST

As ridden by Pat
Bike
White 08 ST1300
Once it becomes the norm it'll become fashion and then it'll be cool. It's already here in the UK, I think. A recent meet saw all visitors tip up in a variety of ATTGATT styles (it was a ride safe type of affair, but seemed to follow the convention).

Our issues seem to be with the very much younger breed zapping around on twist-go scooters and the very elderly on classic bikes with open faced helmets, no eye protection, and dandy but unpadded leather.

Of course, it's always going to be about culture. Despite my positive note I know we're not really there yet, here.

Critters

Retired Black Rat
Bike
Red 2003 ST1300
STOC #
Once it becomes the norm it'll become fashion and then it'll be cool. It's already here in the UK, I think. A recent meet saw all visitors tip up in a variety of ATTGATT styles (it was a ride safe type of affair, but seemed to follow the convention).

Our issues seem to be with the very much younger breed zapping around on twist-go scooters and the very elderly on classic bikes with open faced helmets, no eye protection, and dandy but unpadded leather.

Of course, it's always going to be about culture. Despite my positive note I know we're not really there yet, here.
Pat, I have to agree with you here, I recently had to deal with an accident where the only protective equipment the guy was wearing was a helmet and gloves(which were too big for him).

Needless to say he crashed and is still in hospital.

His jeans, trainers and fleece jacket were shredded and so too was his back shoulders, arms, stomach,legs and fingers (one of his gloves fell off). His limbs were down to the bone in places. Not a nice sight and the marks left on the road reinforced it for me always to were proper kit, no matter how short the journey.

I usually get abuse for changing into all my gear for the short journey home from work but I would rather spend the ten minutes getting my kit on than the next 6 months in hospital getting surgery/treatment for what I call "gravel rash".

I would like to know if the medical insurance in the states covers you for such injuries as in a way the injured person in their decision not to wear ATTGATT are partly responsible for the cause.

Here in the UK the good old NHS picks up the tab, no questions asked but that debate is for another time.

Bike
2014 Yamaha FZ-09
STOC #
Working at a Harley Dealership, I'm seeing a change in rider mentality with regards to gear. I think this is mainly the riders coming from the metric side who are now mounting up on a Harley. I see quite a few who are showing up (regardless of weather) in full face helmets and gear. And this "pride" and "confidence" in going ATGATT with riders who don't, is starting to get the die-hard near naked riders rethinking their apparel choices. And THAT is the most important thing. I disagree with the idea that riders don't wear gear because they think they're invincible or that they'll just be careful or that they're suicidal. I just think it's a fact that they aren't thinking....and not in a "brain-dead" sort of way. It's a matter of threat assessment. Here's a way to look at it....

Let's say, 4 people were walking along and came across a short section of desert that they need to cross. They can see to the other side. Each person makes an assessment of the situation. The first one grabs nothing. The second grabs just a hat. The third grabs a hat and a water bottle. The last person puts on 150 pounds of armor, a bulgeon weapon, several bottles of water, and a compass. It may not seem like it but it relates the same with motorcycling. The first person sees no danger to crossing the desert, thus needing nothing to make the trip. The second person sees no danger either but a hat wouldn't be a bad idea. The third knows a hat is a good idea and decides a waterbottle would be logical, just in case. The final person is taking no chances and prepares for the worse case scenario. Each of these people is making a judgement based on how dangerous the desert appears to be, either in thought or experience. Motorcycle riding is the same way. How dangerous do we think it is? How dangerous have we experienced it to be? Some of us are kind of like survivalist....we prepare for the worse-case scenario possible. Others, are blissfully relaxed and unconcerned. And some cannot be convinced of the actual level of danger until they are faced with it.

STOC #
Some of your friends may snicker when you pull on all that hot, restrictive gear before firing up for a ride, but I say let 'em snicker. Wear the gear!
My wife and I are usually the last ones ready to go when we ride with friends or with a group, as I won't put the bike in first 'till we're both geared up. All our friends know our stance on the topic of gear, but we don't preach at them, because honestly it's their decision to make since they know the risks. They all know if they want to talk gear, I'm always more than willing to do so.

You'd think that after having members of our group go down (some with rather serious injuries), the others would be more apt to gear up, but for whatever reason they won't. I personally don't get it. All I can do is make sure that someone knows the risks, and once that's done, continue to set an example.

Maybe it's working... one of my closest friends in the riding group asked me about gear this weekend. We're supposed to meet up this week, he's gonna try on my jackets, gloves, and overpants to get some idea of how they fit and what sizes he'd need.

st1300doug

YEP! I have ridden for over 30+ yrs. in shorts. I know...I know....but, never been down. (Knock on wood...) Just became a MSF RC (Rider Coach) and yes, LEARNED alot. And since I learned thru the MSF Military Div. Master Instructor- I bought the right attire. Scares me to think of all those years....don't even wanna think about it! That's why I will also wear a full faced helmet too!

Top Bottom