Audiovox Cruise Control cable alternative

CrashTestDanny

formerly known as danf
Bike
2005 ST-1300
STOC #
Ok guys, I came up with an alternative to attach the audiovox cruise control to the throttle cable without removing the infamous throttle drum nut (the one that the service manual says not to remove).

First, let me say that if I had it to do over again, I would just pony up the $$$ for the MCCruise and buy it from Joe Sears. I spoke to him yesterday about buying their cable interface unit and he was very helpful and even suggested some alternatives which got me thinking about it enough to come up with this solution. Though I haven't done business with him yet, I get the sense that Joe is a stand-up guy and a customer-oriented individual - we just gotta forgive him for riding a FJR...

So anyhow, since I had already spent $100 on the CCS-100 (bought it before the Auto-Zone closeout :mad: ) and since The cable interface unit alone would be around $125, I decided I needed a custom throttle cable with an extra pull for the cruise control to hook onto. At first, I started looking for someone local that would make them, but then I realized that I have made this sort of thing myself building model airplanes and that it was really pretty simple.

I took one of the cable loops from the audiovox kit, cut the loop end off, and clamped and soldered it onto the top throttle cable.

The full write-up on my procedure is here.

Y'all have fun now!

Attachments

OP
OP

CrashTestDanny

formerly known as danf
Bike
2005 ST-1300
STOC #
P.S. If any of y'all want a cable like this but don't want to tackle the job of making one, I'll build them for $50 including the new cable from Honda and shipping the finished product. You'll need to send me the cable loops from your Audiovox kit, though. PM me if you want me to make you one.

OP
OP

CrashTestDanny

formerly known as danf
Bike
2005 ST-1300
STOC #
Tiny said:
Hey Dan, some of the latest thumbs on the Pheonix site don't appear to link the correct pics!
How intriguing - I'll have to correct that. Thanks for telling me, Tiny!

Edit: Fixed!

Last edited:

sherob

Old Herder of cats.
Bike
21 HD FLHXS (SGS)
STOC #
danf said:
First, let me say that if I had it to do over again, I would just pony up the $$$ for the MCCruise and buy it from Joe Sears. I spoke to him yesterday about buying their cable interface unit and he was very helpful and even suggested some alternatives which got me thinking about it enough to come up with this solution. Though I haven't done business with him yet, I get the sense that Joe is a stand-up guy and a customer-oriented individual - we just gotta forgive him for riding a FJR...
If all companies did business like him, we would never have anything to complain about ;) I'm glad I just ponied up for the McCruise... somethings are worth the extra $ and less hassle to me. ;)

Top Bottom