Audiovox Cruise Control CCS-100 vs. Rostra-100 Electronic Cruise Control

Bike
'01 ST1100A
OK, so I also posted a recent thread with some questions about the Audiovox Cruise Control CCS-100. Thanks to all those who responded.

I actually put a call into Murph's Kits and spoke with Murph about my cruise control options. I let him know I have a '01 ST1100A and his suggestion based on feedback from several customers who have installed both the Audiovox and Rostra products is that the Rostra Electronic Cruise Control is the better option hands down.

I asked him why that is, he states the Audiovox product is older technology. The Rostra is newer technology, all electronic, without the need to install a vacuum canister. So, newer technology, easier install, less parts to monkey around with.

Also, I did mention that the Rostra product can be installed on older bikes with (like mine), but I thought I heard somewhere that it really is meant for newer bikes.

So, now that my made-up mind is no longer made up on getting the Audiovox, I'm wondering if any forum members have installed the Rostra Electronic Cruise Control. All the write-ups I've seen here thus far have been strictly Audiovox.

Opinions???

Last edited:

Reg_Siemens

Reg S
Bike
Yamaha Tracer 900GT
STOC #
Here's a Rostra install that I've documented:

http://www.my-mc.com/messages/1/23395.html

You won't be disappointed. I've installed the Rostra on 3 different ST1100s and know of others who've installed it on VFRs, etc. It's a very reliable unit. Great tech support if you require it and in the grand scheme of things not that much more expensive than the Audiovox. Since the post referenced above is quite old, the Rostra unit is available on-line for significantly less than what I paid about six years ago.

I've also bought and installed an Audiovox unit in my daughters car, but for a motorcycle where space is limited and I'd prefer not to mess with vacuum, I'd still choose the Rostra.

FWIW the connections are virtually identical, in fact others have taken my relay configuration for the Police switchgear and adapted it for the Audiovox. In fact one of the Rostra installs I did is running with an Audiovox switch. AFAIK the magnet kit included with the Audiovox will work with the Rostra as well.

Last edited:

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Looks like Amazon has the audiovox for $90 and says in stock...

http://www.amazon.com/Audiovox-CCS100-Universal-Vacuum-Control/dp/B00029WQTW

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
I think there are a couple Audiovox in the For Sale forum.

At full price, I'd go with the Rostra. Twice the price but lots smaller. Of course, it's been a while since anyone paid full price for an Audiovox.

The Rostra sure makes a lot more sense than the (old technology and very expensive) MC/Cruz from Australia.

Bike
2006 ABS
For the vehicle speed sensor, instead of using magnets, could you use the Honda speed sensor? A Speedo healer plugs right inline to correct MPH, don't know why you could not also interface with the Rostra in the same way. Anyone know the output pluses the Honda sensor runs at?

Reg_Siemens

Reg S
Bike
Yamaha Tracer 900GT
STOC #
For the vehicle speed sensor, instead of using magnets, could you use the Honda speed sensor? A Speedo healer plugs right inline to correct MPH, don't know why you could not also interface with the Rostra in the same way. Anyone know the output pluses the Honda sensor runs at?
I bet this would work on the ST1300. You might have to fiddle with the pulse settings, but the Rostra has a ton. Since my last install was on an ABS ST1100, I considered tapping into the ABS pulse but decided against it as I'd hate to find in a panic that I'd somehow compromised its effectiveness.

BTW when calculating costs, note that the Rostra does not include magnetic pickup or any kind of switch. I'm guessing you might be able to snag both from the many people that have installed the Audiovox and not used either.

OP
OP
Webslinger
Bike
'01 ST1100A
Here's a Rostra install that I've documented:

http://www.my-mc.com/messages/1/23395.html

You won't be disappointed. I've installed the Rostra on 3 different ST1100s and know of others who've installed it on VFRs, etc. It's a very reliable unit. Great tech support if you require it and in the grand scheme of things not that much more expensive than the Audiovox. Since the post referenced above is quite old, the Rostra unit is available on-line for significantly less than what I paid about six years ago.

I've also bought and installed an Audiovox unit in my daughters car, but for a motorcycle where space is limited and I'd prefer not to mess with vacuum, I'd still choose the Rostra.

FWIW the connections are virtually identical, in fact others have taken my relay configuration for the Police switchgear and adapted it for the Audiovox. In fact one of the Rostra installs I did is running with an Audiovox switch. AFAIK the magnet kit included with the Audiovox will work with the Rostra as well.
Reg...Thanks for the response. It's good to hear from someone that has installed the Rostra on an ST1100.

In reviewing the information for the Rostra at Murph's Kits website:

http://www.murphskits.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=369&osCsid=df28e15765c3f2dd1480fe8b80e9b1a4

The product description includes the following, "The Rostra electronic cruise control is a popular and proven product. With the Rostra there are no vacuum lines and canisters that need to be mounted or tapped into; the unit governs speed based on the input it receives from the bike speed sensor wire. As such, this unit can only be used on modern bikes that do not use the traditional cable/gear driven speedometer found on many fine machines, including the original Concours. For an application such as that, you will need the Audiovox CCS-100."

I was initially concerned that the Rostra would not work for my bike being that it's a '01 ST1100A. I wasn't sure if my bike actually had the speed sensor wire as indicated in the product description. But, since you have installed the Rostra on three ST1100's, it sounds like it works fine, or you found a way to make it work.

Is the product description above incorrect? Is my '01 ST1000A new enough that I don't have to worry about that issue?

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
With the Audivox on the 1100, I tapped into a coil wire to pick up the pulse. Don't know why the same wouldn't work with the Rostra and/or the 1300.

MileHigh

Juvenile delinquent
Bike
2006 ST
STOC #
The ST VSS puts out over 80,000 pulses per mile. It has to be scaled down to an acceptable range for the Rosta. The highest setting the Rosta will accept is 40,000 pulses per mile.

Bada boom....https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9317

OP
OP
Webslinger
Bike
'01 ST1100A
The $164.95 for the Rostra at this website is cruise control only. No control pad is included. It has to be bought separate. Dash pad switches are listed for $49.95. A wireless switch, which could be mounted with velcro so it is removable during bad weather, etc., runs $74.95. It looks like you might also have to buy a relay for the brake separate as well. Not sure how much that would be.

At Murph's Kits the Rostra unit is $205.00 and includes control pad and relay unit.

http://www.murphskits.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=369&osCsid=df28e15765c3f2dd1480fe8b80e9b1a4

Byron

STOC #
The Rostra is an electronic cruise control. It requires a reducer for the VSS signal. Audiovox CCS-100 does not require a canister to function but is an option. After this it comes down to how much you are willing to spend to install cruise control on your bike.

Even if the Audiovox is old school technology it makes it simple to install and troubleshoot. I have had two minor problems with mine but were caused by me and resolved in a fairly short time. The chain was left too long initially and a vacuum line split because I put too tight a bend in it.

Reg_Siemens

Reg S
Bike
Yamaha Tracer 900GT
STOC #
I was initially concerned that the Rostra would not work for my bike being that it's a '01 ST1100A. I wasn't sure if my bike actually had the speed sensor wire as indicated in the product description. But, since you have installed the Rostra on three ST1100's, it sounds like it works fine, or you found a way to make it work.

Is the product description above incorrect? Is my '01 ST1000A new enough that I don't have to worry about that issue?
Your ST does not have a VSS (vehicle speed sensor) output. I used the magnetic pickup in addition to the coil connection. I didn't bother trying to see if it would work reliably with just the coil connection. Murph's Kit description is wrong, you can use the Rostra in a vehicle without the VSS but my understanding is you'd need to use the magnetic pickup kit which Rostra also sells. FWIW I have an Audiovox magnetic pickup that should work with the Rostra and you're welcome to it for the cost of freight.

You'll only require a brake relay if you run some kind of brake modulator and any off-the-shelf generic relay will do. You should be able to find those for a few dollars.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Webslinger
Bike
'01 ST1100A
Your ST does not have a VSS (vehicle speed sensor) output. I used the magnetic pickup in addition to the coil connection. I didn't bother trying to see if it would work reliably with just the coil connection. Murph's Kit description is wrong, you can use the Rostra in a vehicle without the VSS but my understanding is you'd need to use the magnetic pickup kit which Rostra also sells. FWIW I have an Audiovox magnetic pickup that should work with the Rostra and you're welcome to it for the cost of freight.

You'll only require a brake relay if you run some kind of brake modulator and any off-the-shelf generic relay will do. You should be able to find those for a few dollars.
PM sent!

Bike
Honda ST1100
Hey guys, I know this is a very old thread but i was wondering if Reg was still able to get his hands on the install for the 1100 as the site he links to has gone the way of many others.
If anyone else has full instructions on fitting, that would be great also.
I have a 2000 ST1100 PY (Police model) and have bought the Rostra 250-1223 universale cruise control with 3592 controller and 250-4165 magnetic pickup sensor.
Thank you in advance :)

Pezzz

Reg_Siemens

Reg S
Bike
Yamaha Tracer 900GT
STOC #
Hey guys, I know this is a very old thread but i was wondering if Reg was still able to get his hands on the install for the 1100 as the site he links to has gone the way of many others.
If anyone else has full instructions on fitting, that would be great also.
I have a 2000 ST1100 PY (Police model) and have bought the Rostra 250-1223 universale cruise control with 3592 controller and 250-4165 magnetic pickup sensor.
Thank you in advance :)
Pezzz
The my-mc site has been resurrected and the thread I posted can be seen at http://my-mc-phoenix.com/viewtopic.php?f=68&t=7784&hilit=rostra

Hope that helps...

Bike
Honda ST1100
Hello again Reg,
Firstly, What a great write up. I love it when things are documented so even I can understand :)
Do you have any pictures / drawings of the bracket you made up to extend the cable travel?
The first part of the article looks like it may have been cut off right at the crucial part where you are talking about making up a bracket to attach to the throttle to give more than 41mm travel.
Thanks again in advance.
I will let you know how my install goes as well.
I will probably do a detailed install write up on www.ozstoc.com and then copy and paste it all up onto here as well.
Mark.

Top Bottom