Audiovox Issue

Just returning from a 2,200 mile road trip through Texas and New Mexico, on the last couple of days I ran into an issue with my CC. I installed my CC the winter of 09 and have had good luck with its performance up until now. It may have been a little slow to engage sometimes but held my preset speed very well once it attained it. (Sometimes it would lock in as soon as a set it). On the last couple of days of this trip it started acting really funny. Can't tell you how much variance it had (8-10 mph would be close),
lets say I tried to set it at 74 mph, it would slow down to the high 60's and then come back to around 72 and hold it pretty well on flat ground. Once I hit a hill and it figured out I was slowing down it would run up to around 78 and hold that as long as it felt the load of the hill. After topping the hill it would slow back down to my preset speed or a little slower. Once I started down a hill it would slow to the mid 60's and stay there until the next hill. Kind of backwards to what you would think it might do. I know I have gotten used to having it and it sucked not being able to use it. Any suggestions on how to trouble shoot it. Thanks for any help. One other oddity, if you turned the unit off then back on, you could get a closer speed setting by hitting the resume button instead of the set button.

Gene

That's MR CUPCAKE to you!
STOC #
Mine after 2yrs is doing the
same thing I think it might be the check valve leakky and not holding.

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
I would first look at the throttle cable to see that it hasn't developed too much slack, then check for vacuum leaks and the electrical connections.

Bike
'07 ST1300
STOC #
I am have similar problems with my Audiovox CCS 100 installed in a ST1300. It has been about a year since installation. It initially worked very well, just as it should holding speed to within a couple of mph. First problem came last summer when on a very hot ride it just wouldn't engage. Later when it was cooler it work again. Since that time it has gradually deteriorated. Now it will barely set and then immediately drop about 5-6 mph. It will then sometimes oscillate up and down as much as 7-8 mph on irregular cycles about every 2-3 minutes. If I push and hold the RES button it will very gradually, over several minutes, increase in speed and then reset doing the same thing at a slightly higher setting. If I push the RES button and quickly release it will drop down 5-6 mph and reset at that level. This will repeat with each quick push and release of the RES button. I have checked the cable, no binding. The vacuum seems good with no detectable leaks and the audioxox vacuum can installed correctly. The switches are #1 & #7 on and the rest off. Tests fine on the center stand with the LED blinking and increasing with rpm when the unit is on and quickly accelerating and then cutting off when the SET button is pressed. The switch is very well sealed with silicon and I am not anxious to take it apart without and good reason. I think it has brain damage.... I have read many posts on this subject and have tried to troubleshoot through without success. I have not gone back to the throttle linkage as yet hoping to solve the issue without taking it all apart. I know someone will say sounds like a vacuum problem, maybe. Give me another idea how to check that? Maybe these units are only good for a year, my wife's seems to be working fine.........

Gus1300

Site Supporter
Bike
04 1300A
developed the same problem recently, just had the tupperware off for brake/clutch fluid mx and didn't check the vacuum. living with it for now but sure isn't the way it operated when first installed.

OP
OP
Kyote
If this puppy is brain dead, any good available alternatives. Seems from looking on Ebay the audiovox I have now may no longer be on the market. I have found in another post (got to go and relocate it) that the grease in the servo I think had dried out and was causing some strange behavior. A good cleaning and a fresh packing of grease fixed the problem. I hope mine can be fixed, I do like having it.

OP
OP
Kyote
Found the link. https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?22213-ST1300-Audiovox-CCS-100-Cruise-Control-Install-(by-Jefro)&highlight=servo+grease
reply #17

Fred
My Gallery
Re: My Audiovox Cruise install...
I had a failure with my system about a year after the install. Turned out the grease the factory used on the servo valves had become sticky. I cleaned the valves with alcohol and put on a light layer of grease. All is working now. Part of the problem might be the location I selected for the servo right behind the radiator on the right side. It may be a little too hot. I found that when I added the canister the operation of the control smoothed out considerably.

Ross Smith

Ross
Bike
1999 St1100
You could easily be experiencing heat-related intermittency in your module. Consider that most electronics are rated to a ceiling temp of 50 C or 122 F while in operation and it becomes clear that location of your cruise is very important. That means above and ahead of the engine and rad, if possible. Since natural environments can easily reach those temperatures it will pay you to include temps when making a location decision.

I've had an Audiovox in my /99 since /07 and have had no issues of any kind with it, even in temps of 41 C, (106 F) for an extended time. It's located on a special mount I welded onto the upper left side quarter fairing stay bar behind the headlight. It's kept cool during operation and gets rising air circulation past it through the open steering yoke when the bike is parked.

Ross

OP
OP
Kyote
At this point I am not ruling anything out, when I get around to trouble shooting hopefully I can find the actual problem. Either heat or lack of vacuum could be the problem, but I have riding in 100+ in the past with no issue and while coming back through OK the temps were running in the high 30's and the problem was showing up. Seems like if it was vacuum related it would not throttle up like it does on hills. I am dreading pulling off all the plastic looks like I have it to do though. I was hoping someone had gone through the same issue and had found a quick and easy fix.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
A cruise control can act this way if there's too much friction in the mechanism, usually the CC's cable. If it's binding it won't easily be able to correct small speed changes so you get an over correction when the unit finally overcomes the friction. DAMHIK! Check that the cruise cable moves completely freely with no noticeable friction. You might be able to lubricate or re-route the cable if any binding is found.

Bike
'07 ST1300
STOC #
Yesterday I took apart the servo. No levers or grease noted. The diaphragm is on the top side connected to the cable. The cable requires a fairly strong pull to actually move the throttle mechanism. The cable is not binding just need a firm pull to move it, more than is apparent from twisting the throttle. The diaphragm is a domed shaped soft rubber like material. The cable goes through the top of it and by collapsing the diaphragm with the vacuum the cable is then pulled. The diaphragm fits into the bottom housing where the suction is applied through three nozzles all sealed by O-rings. The three nozzles appear to be controlled with opening and closing by electrical switches. On the other side of the nozzles is where the vacuum line comes in from the engine. The only seals are the diaphragm itself and the O-rings. There are breather holes on the top outside of the servo that allow air into the unit when the diaphragm collapses and these holes can be a source of dust or dirt contamination that may make the seals leak. Mine had a small amount around the sealing portion of the diaphragm. I blew this all out with compressed air and then carefully wiped everything clean with alcohol. Maybe this will be enough to fix the problem. I haven't had time for a test ride yet but will report. Sorry no pictures, I thought about taking them after I had the unit back together.

Ross Smith

Ross
Bike
1999 St1100
Not saying it is heat related, but there could be damage from it now. A sticky valve in the module is definitely a possibility, but these things are pretty robust if you ask me.

I don't see you getting away from having to tear down stuff, because intermittent devices are the hardest things to find.

I'd be more suspicious of an electrical problem than vacuum supply, since you're experiencing acceleration. Make sure your connections at the bike's coils and grounds are perfect. Any intermittancy there could cause randomization of signals which might lead to acceleration but I'd suspect it'd just cause the unit to cut out, (the overspeed protection circuit killing it). Also the hand switch unit may have water or corrosion in it, causing a bridging of the "accel" setting connections when the right conditions come around, (humidity-related).

Ross

Bike
'07 ST1300
STOC #
Success....

The test ride went perfect, just like after it was installed. Did not need to get back into the throttle body area under the air filter. Now what worked? I did carefully clean the diaphragm and all the internal parts and O-rings associated with the vacuum system. I also pulled on the servo end of the cable multiple times and may have loosened the sliding action of the cable itself within the sheath. From this end it would be difficult to lubricate as it essentially goes uphill from my location of the servo. Either could have been the source of the problem but as it seems to work well I'm not sure it matters. Now to put all the Tupperware back on.....

OP
OP
Kyote
Thanks for all the ideas! Actually looking forward to diving into it. Lots going on now so not sure when I will get the chance. Hopefully a good cleaning and general inspection will correct the problem. It is great to be part of such a good forum, with all the experienced people out there to help. Thanks!

Bike
05 st1300
just go my ccs in the mail friday,now if the snow would melt i could get the bike in the garage.Thanks to this forum i should have enough information to install.
thanks all, mike

Top Bottom