Autocom question about PTT button

Louie Louie

Autocom PTT Question

Thanks to Dan(Snowmoer), my Autocom rocks! Sounds so much better than before. !! Very cool indeed. The volume lowers when I talk and goes up after. I also use an Amplirider.

Quick question. On the PTT setup there are 3 positions and believe the first works as VOX. The second one is strictly PTT. Whats the 3rd one? Seems to be transmitting at all times.

Last edited by a moderator:

Scarman

Not all pain is gain
Bike
FJR1300
Here is a PTT circuit as wired from the 12v power connector for the Pro 7 Sport. I'm using this with my cheapo GMRS radio and it works fine, but as always use at your own risk. I wish I had taken a picture of the cable before I closed it up but I did make a Visio drawing to keep as a reference.

Basically the 12v power connector comes with pins 7 & 8 jumpered and pins 4 & 5 jumpered which gives you basic vox all the time operation by default. Cut 7 & 8 and splice in a wire that runs to one side of your PTT switch then cut 4 & 5 and connect pin 5 to the other side of your PTT switch. That's all you need. I'm not sure exactly how the pins are numbered on the connector so the numbering I use here is for reference only. Look at the 12v supply line coming into the connector to orient it correctly.

Autocom-PTT.jpg

Scarman

Not all pain is gain
Bike
FJR1300
VOX is voice activated. If there isn't enough sound to trigger the vox circuit (adjustable via the vox pot) then the mic is off. "Always on" means the mic is hot all the time regardless if the sound level is enough to trigger the vox circuit.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
I suspect the "always on" setting is for someone who's out on a track giving a demonstration and doesn't want to have to use a trip word to get the VOX open.

--Mark

nm6r

Blue is faster!!!
I found no use for the VOX or always on positions since I only use PTT for 2-way communications. I only connect a 2-way radio when riding with others that have radios. There was a couple times the switch got bumped into the always on position and it took me a while to figure out where the problem was. I removed the toggle switch and shortened the switch housing. This provided tank clearance in the full left steering position.

Ray

Scarman

Not all pain is gain
Bike
FJR1300
Same here Ray. I just wired up a standalone switch to operate PTT. There is a tech article on this site that shows how to setup a garage door opener switch in the throttle housing. I used the same idea for my PTT switch instead of the garage opener. I don't have a need for VOX or mic always hot operation.

Top Bottom