Autocom Super Pro AVI Installation

Bike
05 ST 1300
STOC #
I just recieved my autocom super-pro avi and am looking for help on the installation. I know there are several threads on this subject, but any tips from someone that has installed this unit and/or can point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Byron

STOC #
Chuck,

Might help out a little if you give everyone an idea of what you're gong to be hooking it up to. Basically though you're probably going to need ground loop isolators for all your various audio sources. Some put them (Autocom) in tank bags, other under the rear seat.

OP
OP
4INer
Bike
05 ST 1300
STOC #
Right now it's just going to be a cell phone connection (for my wife when she's riding along), a music input (MP3), and rider to passenger communication. But I want to install it with enough forethought to add XM radio, GPS, and bike to bike down the road.

OP
OP
4INer
Bike
05 ST 1300
STOC #
Additionally I'll be installing the headsets in a pair of Nolan N-Com N102's. So any help there would be appreciated as well. I've heard that some people have replaced autocoms speakers.

jfheilman

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
I have the Autocom installed on my ST under the rear seat. If you are just going to use the Cell phone and rider/passenger communications, that's where I would put it and power it directly off the battery. I think the unit comes with connections for cell phone and MP3 player. They sell an isolated version for the MP3 connection when you use bike power for the player. I have done it both ways with equal success. However, in all cases I wired straight to a battery and not the tail light or anything else. It draws about 20ma when no headset is pluged in.

The Autocom noise sensor will required some playing with to get the best location. My experience was that there were to locations for best result, depending on whether you are riding alone or with a passenger. The thing works darn well.

If you are going to take the plastic off for some reason then you should run all the forward cables then (GPS etc.)

My system consists of a Garmin 2820 GPS and a J&M2003 CB. The Garmin is connected both for stereo and mono (there are three plug ins for the 2820, one is a two cable special connector that plugs into Aux 1 that allows blue tooth connection with the phone and the other is the stereo connection for the music/xm/books. This last one I believe is pluged into Aux 3).

I have the J&M running into Aux 5.

When we ran the cables we ran them up the left side of the bike unde the tank. I ran an extra mini stereo cable for future use or to take the placed of a failed cable.

I just finished a road test, about 2,000 miles and everything work well except the J&M is a relatively high noise level. That is, with the music muted and the J&M on you can here a hiss in the backgroud that goes away when the J&M is turned off.

The autocom's variable VOX works as promised provided you get the sensor located right and you get use to the thought speaking louder at high speeds. Seems only natural.

OP
OP
4INer
Bike
05 ST 1300
STOC #
Thanks JF. I'll be installing it tonight, and the tail section is where I thought I would put it. I do want to eventually conect the unit to switched power so ther is no draw when the bike is off, but will probably just go with your sugestionand connect it directly to the battery for now. I've read a few posts concerning engine noise anad want to avoid that and think that a direct battery conection will eliminate any noise at least ubtil I can come up with a different solution. I also think your correct in suggesting I wait until I have some plastic off for other reasons before running any leads for the XM and GPS that I plan to add in the future. How much headset lead did you leave comming out from under the seat for both you and your pillion? I want as clean a look as I can achieve, but also want it to be easy for both me and my wife to connect to so we spend less time hooking up and more time riding. Thanks again.

Last edited:
Bike
BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
I installed my Autocom Super Pro AVi under the rear seat area and powered it directly from the battery. However, I added a relay that is connected to the quartet harness so the Autocom only receives power when the bike is on.

FYI, even with all the isolated leads from Autocom, I still experienced a faint amount of whine through the Autocom. I've just ordered an isolated power supply from David Navone to take the whole system out of the whine loop.

I'm also thinking about putting a switch in line for the Autocom. I've learned there are times when I just want the silence (or wind noise) of riding the bike and with the Autocom turned on, if you find yourself humming a tune or turn the wrong way, you can activate the VOX and it makes noise. Sure wish they'd build the Autocom with a remote on/off switch.

Anybody else put a switch in line with their Autocom? If so, where did you mount it and what kind of switch did you use?

Marshal_Mercer

Bumbleberry + Crumble = Yum!
Bike
Has new home
STOC #
<snip>Anybody else put a switch in line with their Autocom? If so, where did you mount it and what kind of switch did you use?
I use the AmpliRider http://www.electric-avenues.com/amplirider.html to interface the Autocom with XM, GPS, and 'phone. The AmpliRider has a remote, volume control. My volume control is mounted on the left side of my XM radio (SkyFi 2) housing. When I get sick of the chatter I turn the volume to its lowest point -- silence!

Ask for a 6.5 foot long cable instead of the standard four foot unit.

Marshal

Last edited:

jfheilman

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
Regarding the leads, I know it's a little late but I left only a small amount out the right side for the passenger and the riders lead came out by the lower left part of the front seat.

I don't have any noise in the autocom, even with the GPS on. However, when I turn on the J&M CB there is engine noise present. I have been told that the audio on the phone is a bit noisy when the engine is running. Since the wires pass right my the left hand ignition coil, I suspect it is the culprit. Don't know any way around it.

With a 20 ma draw when the headsets are unpluged, the battery drain will be minimal.

As for hearing your self when you are "singing" along or just talking to yourself, with the ambient noise sensor set right, at speed the vox is made a little higher and you do have to raise your voice a little to trigger the VOX.

On my recent trip, I was using Push to talk in the CB and I wish I had wired in a switch to allow VOX operation. Sometimes I make a transmission and forget to press the switch, especially when I was answering someone. It's like having a passenger talk to you. Your natural response is to just answer the question.

OP
OP
4INer
Bike
05 ST 1300
STOC #
Regarding the leads, I know it's a little late but I left only a small amount out the right side for the passenger and the riders lead came out by the lower left part of the front seat.
Not late at all. I ended up spending last night installing a Givi e-52 and the light kit. Then I wired a Back-off modulator to the Givi Light kit. Spent the rest of the night just making sure I had all my ducks in a row and looking at different locations and routing possibilities for the autocom. I hope to get it installed tonight. We're having a rainy week so I'm trying to get my farm chores done early and leave the rest of my evening/nights to farkle away........ Thanks again.

jfheilman

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
Since you have not done the install yet, let me tell you another thing we did on my install. I added a CB antennat to the rear carrier. It's an add on and I do forget who makes it but to run the cable for the antenna and the passenger lead for the autocom, we burned a slot in the plastic so the cables would feed through there. So folks may not like doing that but it makes for a very nice install.

I'd suggest that you use some tape to mount the noise sensor on your helmet before you get it permanently mounted. Once you see how it works in various positions, you can make the mount more permanent.

On my trip, I found the helment to be a bit noisy, just could not get the fidelty I wanted with the Fulmer 3/4 helmet. In fact it appears to be less noisy when the face shield is up. I had a pair of Shure E2c and they worked much better.

I found I had to add some of the foam spacers in the Fulmer helmet to get the speakers close enough to my ears to get the sound to a reasonable level. Still I like the use of the earphones for longer trips. I did have to pull out the foam spacers to get enough room for the earphones in the helmet.

OP
OP
4INer
Bike
05 ST 1300
STOC #
I was looking last night at maybe cutting a small hole in the plasic as close to the rear of the grab rail as I could to feed the light kit lead for the top case through. Also thought that I could possibly run the passenger headset through, and then get a rubber gromet (like I've used after running TV cable through the siding on my house) to dress it up. But at this point I think I'm going to do the nost non-intrusive install I can do without cutting anything on the bike or the unit, and live with it awhile and find out where I want everything located. Then I'll make the install more permanent once I know where I want everything.

I have been following your comments as I eagerly wait to purchase my com set up. It sounds like you are happy with your Autocom. Any words of wisdom before I splurge on this. It would be for a '97 St. My main goal is bike-to-bike, MP-3 player and cell phone. I think the Active-Plus would work, but don't know much about this field. Appreciate any feedback. Thanks
Todd

OP
OP
4INer
Bike
05 ST 1300
STOC #
I have been following your comments as I eagerly wait to purchase my com set up. It sounds like you are happy with your Autocom. Any words of wisdom before I splurge on this. It would be for a '97 St. My main goal is bike-to-bike, MP-3 player and cell phone. I think the Active-Plus would work, but don't know much about this field. Appreciate any feedback. Thanks
Todd
I am happy with it. As for the model, I guess it all depends on what you're going to plug in. My thinking was to just get the top of the line and have room for expansion. But the XM radio I'm putting on the bike has a line in as well so I doubt I'll ever use the second audio in. But I do plan to use the phone as soon as I get the proper conection, and will eventually have a GPS. Don't know if I'll ever use the bike to bike since nobody I ride with has one at this point in time. And since most of them are Wingers, I suspect they would install a CB rather than an FRS if tehy were to go bike to bike. I know the autocom will work with a CB but they do not recomend it saying it is noisey. I just installed mine by grounding direct to the battery, and powering it by using a T-Tap at the aux fuse in. I think I'm going to add an aux fuse block down the road and run all my farkles off of it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom