AUX Lighting tied to High, or Low Beams?

Bike
2000 ST1100
Hi All,

I've seen this discussion here before, but fail to see it right now, and I think the final word was "Depends upon state". Anyway, I have aux PIAA lights for my ST and was wondering if I should tie them into my High beams, Low beams, or switched and why? A bike I am flipping had the lights tied into the High beams, but I was thinking about these as running lights for better visibility by cars on my bike. Also, I checked MA Laws, Section 16, and don't really see an answer.

Thoughts, or link of previous discussion?

Thank you all in advance!

JohnK

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300a
STOC #
I’ve always been a proponent of switched - call me a control freak but it allows me to use additional lighting for both night highway visibility and being visible to oncoming traffic in the twisties and foggy low vis days. Also not be so obnoxious in tight head on spots.

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
Hi All,

I've seen this discussion here before, but fail to see it right now, and I think the final word was "Depends upon state". Anyway, I have aux PIAA lights for my ST and was wondering if I should tie them into my High beams, Low beams, or switched and why? A bike I am flipping had the lights tied into the High beams, but I was thinking about these as running lights for better visibility by cars on my bike. Also, I checked MA Laws, Section 16, and don't really see an answer.

Ma? Hey! Im a masshole too! Boston! I run my aux lights always on with my low beams. Riding here in the city, people in front of me can see them in their rear view mirrors. Makes a fbig diff. Also, o. The pike, they get out of the passing lane faster as i catch up to them. My lights are a amber in color. I thing the additional color helps. I also run a blinky led tail brake light on the rear. That helps a lot too.
Thoughts, or link of previous discussion?

Thank you all in advance!

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
Ma? Hey! Im a masshole too! Boston! I run my aux lights always on with my low beams. Riding here in the city, people in front of me can see them in their rear view mirrors. Makes a fbig diff. Also, o. The pike, they get out of the passing lane faster as i catch up to them. My lights are a amber in color. I thing the additional color helps. I also run a blinky led tail brake light on the rear. That helps a lot too.
And, by the way, i store my bike in the garage under the common. Its a good deal if you need storage.

I chose to have my aux lights separately switched with the switch within the reach of my left thumb. I have them aimed for max downroad vision. My reasoning for the switch is that it allows me to kill the aux and leave the high beam on as long as possible within the bounds of courtesy. Also during the day time I can help slow poke drivers remember where they are.
I do have one bike with some diving lights that are wired through the main light switch but they have a dimmer yellow light on low beam and the full whites on high.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
I do have one bike with some diving lights that are wired through the main light switch but they have a dimmer yellow light on low beam and the full whites on high.
I did that years ago in a Jeep Cherokee, when I added a pair of lights with clear and yellow lights in each one. I got the factory dash switch with a red on indicator, and with a couple of relays, I wired it so, with the switch on, the clear and yellow lights automatically worked with the high- and low-beams, respectively.

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
Mine are on their own handlebar switch and have nothing to do with the headlight. Easy. On or off. I've never understood the point of tying them into headlight wiring.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
I've never understood the point of tying them into headlight wiring.
When high powered auxiliary lights have been added that can (or should) only be used under the same circumstances as when the high beams would be used, lest you blind everyone else on the road, it makes sense. They automatically come on with the high beams and they automatically go off with the high beams. It avoids having to switch two sets of lights on and off.

Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
Many newer cars run the high beams as Day time running lights.
So having your aux Driving lights tied to the high beams is a good idea. (So one dimmer switch kills all glaring lights)

You can just run the high beam and the driving lights during the day time.

I see a lot of bikes looking like freight trains with all their lights blazing during the day time. It makes them stand out.
The ones with the yellow lights are more noticeable.
The brightness of the sun is order of magnitudes brighter than any of your lights so our eyes not really bothered.
Note:
Halogen high beam DRL's have a diode in series that slightly dims them, but it is really there to extend the life of the filament, dimming is only a secondary unnecessary effect.
The diodes are not necessary for LED's.

I have switched to passing lights so that I can use them with my low beams at night and they really help a lot.
but as conspicuously daytime lights not so much, Driving lights would be better.
I know when I go into lane splitting mode, I switch on my high beams and it is like parting the red sea....

You can read about passing lights Link Here. I am using the lights shown at post 20. but read all my posts there for background info.

You are right that each state has different rules. So you need check that.

Reactions: Obo

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
I have aux PIAA lights for my ST and was wondering if I should tie them into my High beams, Low beams, or switched and why?
Do both. Have them come on/go off with the high beams so you have the automated feature of that system but also include a separate switch that allows you to turn them on separate without having the high beams on should you so choose.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
When high powered auxiliary lights have been added that can (or should) only be used under the same circumstances as when the high beams would be used, lest you blind everyone else on the road, it makes sense. They automatically come on with the high beams and they automatically go off with the high beams. It avoids having to switch two sets of lights on and off.
I still prefer the option of an off override, which is why used the Jeep switch in my install above.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
The only drawback to having my ambers on all the time is if the battery is weak, or, if i robbed a bank and and dont want to be seen as i ride away!
Your ST is a 1996. Isn't that the first year that they came with a 40 amp alternator? Available charging capacity shouldn't be a problem.

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
Your ST is a 1996. Isn't that the first year that they came with a 40 amp alternator? Available charging capacity shouldn't be a problem.
Correct, i mentioned the battery tho. Lucky for me tho, i replaced it with a oem battery last fall.
I have the bike set up so i can charge everything on the bike, and love having a 40 amp

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Switched, separate switch. My PIAA 110s are aux, long range driving lights for the last 150K. No tying them into anything OEM, they have their own, complete circuit/wiring harness. Switch on the left handlebar grip housing. I control when and where I want them on. FWIW YMMV

John

docw1

Bill Rankin
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
Like Mellow, I have a set of old Denali fork lights always on and a set of Aux kits under the mirrors, with a 3-pole switch, so they can be set to come on with the high-beams, or turned off or on by themselves.

Bike
2004 ST1300
On my previous 1300 I mounted a separate switch.IMG_20210603_123009.jpg That way you have a choice in any state or province you ride in.
These aftermarket (similar to Denali DR1) LED lights are mounted on brackets for the ST from Twisted Throttle.

Top Bottom