Avilable Amperage

Mountain Mike

I frequent the IBA Motel
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I want to add driving lights to my ST but before I do I want to calculate the available amperage on my bike so I know when I am getting close to the limit.

Is there a spreadsheet for this? I remember seeing one, but couldn't find it.

If you want to know i have the 40A alternator and the following accessories.

Heated jacket (6.4 amps, 77 watts)
Heated gloves (2.2 amps, 27 watts)
heated grips (3 Amps at 13.5 Volts)
Garmin Zumo 660 (10Watt max)
Garmin Streetpilot 2610 (6 watts max)
Cell Phone charger 2A?
Hyper Lights (.25A)
MikeVis Bullets (30mA) *homemade LED Driving lights
Autocom super pro 300 Duo ( ?A )

I am looking at adding Hella 500 lights (9.16 Amps?) because the price is right (thanks Smash)

Edit: I just found I asked this exact same question in 2009. Oops.

Last edited:

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
One problem here is... are all the components on at full blast all the time?

The jacket will only be drawing 6.4 amps continously if you have the controller cranked to high, same with the gloves. Grips are deendent on how you have them controlled.

Cell phone charger is the same, it will change the amount it pulls based on need. If it's recharging the cell battery? Is it using GPS? Bluetooth? Actively transmitting?

Best bet is to either install an ammeter (preferred but harder), or a voltage readout. If you drop below 14 volts it's time to shed some electric load.

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
Autocom should be peanuts.
660 has a battery and charger built in? Might be more tha 10watt or is that when charging.

There's a very conservative one for the 13 iirc on the wiki.

How about this for the the 1100?
http://home.insightbb.com/~mmartin36/Amps.htm

agm battery fully charged is around 12.7volts I think. If system voltage is there at idle you're not discharging the battery.
If you're stuck in traffic and idling and see the voltage dropping you'd probably wouldn't be needing the aux lights or heated gear full tilt anyway.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mountain Mike

Mountain Mike

I frequent the IBA Motel
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Best bet is to either install an ammeter (preferred but harder), or a voltage readout. If you drop below 14 volts it's time to shed some electric load.
Thanks, that seems to be the conclusion of the post I just found when I asked the same question 4 years ago. Guess I better get on that Volt meter install. :)

Top Bottom