Avoid I-80/94 at IL and IN Border

Mondo

Site Supporter
Bike
‘22 Moto Guzzi V85TT
I know that many folks avoid Chicago at all costs, often headed down to I-80 on I-294, I-355, I-39, etc. On I-80/94, the last exit eastbound in IL, Torrence Ave, will close soon, plus the first 2 eastbound exits in IN are already closed. There is construction on the interstate as well. Result is massive backups from I-294 to Kennedy Ave from early morning to past evening rush hour. I can usually make it from my house do my son’s in Munster in about an hour ten. Today at 11 AM, 2 hours 15 minutes. And, when the eastbound side is done in at least 4 weeks, they will begin on the westbound side.

Greg

Bike
04 ST1300
Thanks for the heads. They picked just the right place for max PIA. I will be heading east to PA, on that route July 2nd, but will be in that area around
5 am. Hopefully wont be a hassle. Coming back may be a different story :rolleyes:. Kennedy may be an option.

Whats the best way through...
I 90 ??, i need to hit beloit, wi.

Bike
04 ST1300
There is construction on the kennedy (I-90) as well with lane closures and delays just before OHare, heading west. As post #2 implied. Illinois is passionate about keeping roads in good shape :rolleyes:.

Bike
07 FJR1300
STOC #
I know that many folks avoid Chicago at all costs, often headed down to I-80 on I-294, I-355, I-39, etc. On I-80/94, the last exit eastbound in IL, Torrence Ave, will close soon, plus the first 2 eastbound exits in IN are already closed. There is construction on the interstate as well. Result is massive backups from I-294 to Kennedy Ave from early morning to past evening rush hour. I can usually make it from my house do my son’s in Munster in about an hour ten. Today at 11 AM, 2 hours 15 minutes. And, when the eastbound side is done in at least 4 weeks, they will begin on the westbound side.

Greg
We got two season in MN too. Winter and constructions season...! :rofl1:

Bike
2000 ST1100
There is construction on the kennedy (I-90) as well with lane closures and delays just before OHare, heading west. As post #2 implied. Illinois is passionate about keeping roads in good shape :rolleyes:.
Maybe in the northen part but southwesten Illinois better be alert for pot holes:eek:

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
If anyone wants to bypass this cluster, say, on a more southerly route... I'll have the coffee on, here in Birmingham.
I can cook, too, with enough advance notice. Spare bedroom, or pitch a tent in the back yard if you don't like crowds.
Just don't drift too far to the east, or you'll find yourself in a similar situation in Atlanta. Big mistake.
Right, @aniwack?

OP
OP
Mondo

Mondo

Site Supporter
Bike
‘22 Moto Guzzi V85TT
I agree.
I've seen them tear up a perfectly good toll road to redo it. I believe the system is built around keeping people employed no matter the cost. :nuts:
I have relatives in the construction business. They will not go near road construction in IL due to the many hands that need greasing. I remember (yes, I’m old) when the first tollway was built, I-90 the Northwest Tollway, and the promise was that in 17 years it would be paid off and the tolls removed. Yeah, right. It is graft personified.

Greg

steve3b3

Retired
Bike
2018 GoldWing
I'm planning on a westward trip, and will keep this in mind.
Sounds like they'll still be mucking up the Eastbound lanes as I'm heading west, but I'll keep that in mind for my trip back east

Steve

larryg

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
I agree.
I've seen them tear up a perfectly good toll road to redo it. I believe the system is built around keeping people employed no matter the cost. :nuts:
BINGO !
This has been my pet peeve here (Illinois) for years.
County, State, Toll Roads - they all do it - carve up perfectly usable roads to re-pave them, wasting $$ while the state is broke, and pissing off tons of drivers who have to deal with the delays.
It's all about jobs and political kickbacks....
:mad: :mad: :mad:.

Last edited:
Bike
04 ST1300
Just came back yesterday from a long weekend trip to Pennsylvania. 90% of the 1530 miles were on I-80. While there was road construction in the four states that I passed thru including Illinois. Illinois roads were undeniably by far the worst. There are all kinds of bumps, pot holes and depressions on 294. I would not ride on a motorcycle on 294 in the dark, which is what I did going and coming. Five in the morning going and 9 at night last night coming back.

One would think our roads should be somewhat decent with all the repair and construction that takes place. Not the case.

OP
OP
Mondo

Mondo

Site Supporter
Bike
‘22 Moto Guzzi V85TT
Having traversed the area a couple of times recently, my initial advice stands. If you can get through the mess early or late, no problem. Any other time and I-80/94 plus all the nearby roads are congested and crowded. If we need to go to Louisville again, I’ll go down through Champaign. It will be about the same amount of time, but we’ll be moving.

Greg

Top Bottom