Avon 3D XM - 17,750 mileage report - time to mount the new ones

Bike
1995 ST1100
STOC #
A couple of weeks ago we had a decent rain here and the tires for the first time the tires didn't feel as solid in the wet as they did in the dry. This morning my rear tire was low and leaking so I slimed it and will see about replacing it tonight. I've had the replacement 3D XM's in the garage for a while now. Mileage is at 17,750 miles, rear is marginally starting to show a flat spot, and both front and rear wore evenly imho. I'm very happy with the tires, and recommend them for the ST1100. I got mine from Chaparral motorsports via ebay/online as they have the best price, and fast shipping.

Last edited:
OP
OP
dkruitz
Bike
1995 ST1100
STOC #
You got 17,750 miles out of a rear? I'm certainly impressed as my usual mileage on a radial is 5,000-7,500 miles. May have to give these a try on my next change.
Yes, both tires were mounted at the same time. Oddly enough, I think the front has less tread remaining by comparison. I ride 1up, commuting, with occasional trips "into the city".

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Interesting, I just might try these on my commuter bike next time it needs tires.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
FWIW, I get 20k miles on a Commander II on the rear of my ST11. And, I get 25k miles on a rear BT-45 mounted on the front. This is based upon (4) Commander IIs and (3) BT-45s, so they've been pretty consistent.

Also, I use balancing beads and believe that helps... no cupping and even wear.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
What I like about the Avon offering is that it is a radial which 'generally' handles better than a bias - at least IMHO. :D
I currently use the bias BT020 BMW version as my distance rear but I still only get 10,000 miles or so.
But then it does seem that all of my ST1100s have throttle problems... ;-)

paulcb

Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
But then it does seem that all of my ST1100s have throttle problems... ;-)
Yeah they do... I've ridden with you and know precisely what the common denominator is! ;)

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #

Also, I use balancing beads and believe that helps... no cupping and even wear.
Paul,

How many ounces of beads are you using in your tires?

I've been using the beads ever since Byron abandon me (he did a great job of mounting and balancing my tires) and I'm having to mount my own tires now.

One thing I did find out about using beads, they don't like gummy worms replacing the nails and screws that happen to puncture the tire! :eek:4:

paulcb

Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Paul,

How many ounces of beads are you using in your tires?

I've been using the beads ever since Byron abandon me (he did a great job of mounting and balancing my tires) and I'm having to mount my own tires now.
One thing I did find out about using beads, they don't like gummy worms replacing the nails and screws that happen to puncture the tire! :eek:4:
Hey Bob. I use 1oz in the front and 2oz in the rear, as per the recommendations for my tire sizes from Counteract.

I pull my wheels and have my tires mounted by a local guy. I do most of my own work but am very happy to pay to have my tires mounted... I hate doing that... I spent enough time in college on a tire machine to last a lifetime!

Fortunately, I've had no punctures, so no experience there. What happened when you mixed the two?

If I do get a puncture in the near future, I know whom I'm going to blame! ;)

Last edited:

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
Impressive mileage. I'm currently about 1/3 of the way through a set of Z6's and I have a set of 3D XM Avons sitting in the garage as replacements. I always liked the old Avon Storm and hope the new set ride as well (but without the front end head shake..) and last a long time.

OP
OP
dkruitz
Bike
1995 ST1100
STOC #
Impressive mileage. I'm currently about 1/3 of the way through a set of Z6's and I have a set of 3D XM Avons sitting in the garage as replacements. I always liked the old Avon Storm and hope the new set ride as well (but without the front end head shake..) and last a long time.
Mine got the head shake when I got the Avon's before and I *hope* it goes away with this set. Not a problem with hands on the bars though.

What area of Toronto? I used to live in Oakville, and King City.

On this set I'm going to mount 'em dry without beads or weights and see how they feel.

OP
OP
dkruitz
Bike
1995 ST1100
STOC #
Original as far as I know. And in case of terminology misuse, from 25-55mph the handlebars vibrate when not held. When I first got the bike it had an old Bridestone BattleAxe on it and it did not do that.

Newer front wheel bearings on it, but fork seals and head bearings are in the maintenance plan for 2018.

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
The tapered bearing took care of my head shake problems, all tires.

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
The tapered bearing took care of my head shake problems. A bearing house in Ca. sells name bearing for wheels and head bearing with seals for a good price. I've forgotten the name but will look it up later if you' interested.

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
I admit that I have liked the look of a couple of Avon models for a while. And I like the sound of their long mileage warrenty,, if it is still in effect. But one thing I see missing is doubled up rear tire construction,,, that other other premium tire builders offer. Lightly loaded bikes and even tourers can get by with sport bike tires. But a loaded 2-up Sport Tourer winding the twisties can wallow on soft sidewalls. I look forward to hearing how these tires and perhaps Avon's ST model perform,,, Cat'

Top Bottom