Avon 3D XM - 17,750 mileage report - time to mount the new ones

OP
OP
dkruitz
Bike
1995 ST1100
STOC #
I admit that I have liked the look of a couple of Avon models for a while. And I like the sound of their long mileage warrenty,, if it is still in effect. But one thing I see missing is doubled up rear tire construction,,, that other other premium tire builders offer. Lightly loaded bikes and even tourers can get by with sport bike tires. But a loaded 2-up Sport Tourer winding the twisties can wallow on soft sidewalls. I look forward to hearing how these tires and perhaps Avon's ST model perform,,, Cat'
I still actually have more tread on the rear that I can use, but I have a puncture that keeps seeping air and I'm just tired of messing with it. I believe these are heavier duty tires compared to sportbike, because of the load ratings on them. Not certain though.

^^^
Can highly recommend CBR bearings. Many ST riders , and other motorcycle riders, have used CBR bearings.
Thanks, I'll check them out

Whooshka

Fairly faST old guy
Bike
2006 ST1300
A couple of weeks ago we had a decent rain here and the tires for the first time the tires didn't feel as solid in the wet as they did in the dry. This morning my rear tire was low and leaking so I slimed it and will see about replacing it tonight. I've had the replacement 3D XM's in the garage for a while now. Mileage is at 17,750 miles, rear is marginally starting to show a flat spot, and both front and rear wore evenly imho. I'm very happy with the tires, and recommend them for the ST1100. I got mine from Chaparral motorsports via ebay/online as they have the best price, and fast shipping.
Can you post a pic please? I'm curious as to what a marginal flat spot is.

Bike
2010 ST-1300
I just ordered a set of Avon 3D XM to replace the Pirelli Angel GT'S on my ST1300. A friend of mine can get Avon tires cheap and he has a tire changer.

Bike
2010 ST-1300
Just mounted them yesterday. Had over 11000 miles on the Pirellis and the rear one was close to the wear bars. The Avons mounted easy, used Dyna beads for the first time. PIA getting them in the valve stem without plugging it up.

OP
OP
dkruitz
Bike
1995 ST1100
STOC #
Just mounted them yesterday. Had over 11000 miles on the Pirellis and the rear one was close to the wear bars. The Avons mounted easy, used Dyna beads for the first time. PIA getting them in the valve stem without plugging it up.
I held an electric pencil etcher against the valve stem to help vibrate them down. Maybe a small sander against the rim if you don't have one of those?

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
I put them in when mounting the tire, or at least my tire guy does.

Bike
2010 ST-1300
I used an electric engraver on the valve stem. Still was a PIA. Tires feel pretty good so far. Tried them on a long twisty road a little faster than I should have been going the other day:)

Bike
2010 ST-1300
I have put a couple thousand miles on these tires so far. I had a chance to try them out on some twisty wet roads Sunday. They handled really well.

STraymond

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100
STOC #
I have been running the 3D-XMs since they came out and routinely get 15K on the rears and 19K on the fronts.

Also, looks like the replacements are the Avon Spirit STs. With the current Avon rebates, only $207 delivered for a pair to fit non-ABS ST1100s from Rocky Mtn ATV!

Last edited:
Bike
2010 ST-1300
At @ 8750 miles I was at the center wear bars on the rear. 9500 I was showing cords on the left edge. Front tire was pretty worn as well when changed at the same time. Good tire overall. Great performance in the curves and rain as well.

Bike
2007 ST1300 "Silby"
STOC #
Ive always run Avons on my Valkyrie and get good mileage, but read somewhere that Avon didnt recommend a tire for the ST1300, sidewalls not strong enough for the weight of the bike IIRC?
dont know what the weight difference is between the ST1100 and the ST1300?

Top Bottom