Avon Spirit ST - Anyone using them on an ST1300?

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Bike
GL1800
STOC #
It's new tire time. Among other options, I'm considering the Avon Spirit ST. When I had Avon Cobras on my Gold Wing, I found them to be a decent tire (not the best overall, but a good value for the price), and their customer service was second to none when I had an issue with my first front tire. So my overall impression of them is positive.

Has anyone here used the Spirit ST on an ST1300? Any testimonies to mileage and overall performance?

Last edited:
Bike
CTX1300
STOC #
It's new tire time. Among other options, I'm considering the Avon Sprint ST. When I had Avon Cobras on my Gold Wing, I found them to be a decent tire (not the best overall, but a good value for the price), and their customer service was second to none when I had an issue with my first front tire. So my overall impression of them is positive.

Has anyone here used the Sprint ST on an ST1300? Any testimonies to mileage and overall performance?
I know its not what you asked for but I just put my 3rd one on my CTX1300. Averaged 14,500 on the first two, to the wearbars. Does everything I ask of it.

Bike
Honda ST1300 Pan-Eur
I have recently fitted Avon Storm 3D X-M. Very impressed so far and a good price.

bplandis

2006 ST1300
I run them. Have about 2500 miles on them currently. Previous set were Battleaxes.

Quick feedback is these are smoother, quieter and definitely stickier. Have the famous wobble on my bike... is noticeably worse with these than it was with the battleaxes.

Hope this helps.

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
I put a new one on the rear a week ago. Just got back from a trip to West Virginia for Memorial Day. Had mostly partly cloudy skies but got caught in a couple of deluges. Tires didn't miss a beat, though I did ride more cautiously during the rain. The roads were very twisty with lots of elevation changes. I'm happy with them so far!

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
Has anyone here used the Spirit ST on an ST1300?
I have not tried them myself. However, last year I thought they were offering a 20k mile warranty. That plus the stable look of the tread and sipe design,, caught my eye. However,,, while they have attractive pricing, they don't offer a reinforced 2-ply rear carcass, specifically for heavier sport touring bikes. So I look forward to hearing reviews,,, and it is always good to read those over on Revzilla, Fortnine and such, before buying,,,, good luck,, CAt'

There is a st1300 reviewer on the 2nd page of these 10 reviews:

Last edited:

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
After 2 rear tire blowouts at speed, one mine, and one Chris's.
Another ST1300 was totaled after a rear blowout in N.M. if I remember correctly.
We'll never run any Avon tire again.

I hope all of you Avon users have better luck than we did...

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
What Mark said I used the AV 45/46 and really liked them until they started to blow out and or delaminate haven't used Avons since.

Bike
'06 ST1300A
How do you spell relief? :doh1:

I was recently looking at this very Shinko product. How long did you run them before they look like that?

Keep us posted on the 5’s.

Sidekick

Save Ukraine Stop War!
Bike
ST1300A '05
STOC #
How do you spell relief? :doh1:

I was recently looking at this very Shinko product. How long did you run them before they look like that?

Keep us posted on the 5’s.
I just went from this:
20F57EB8-5E3B-4776-99A3-857F11FDFBEE.jpeg
(Shinko Verge) crap!
To a pair of Michelin Road pilot 5’s (if my crappy memory is working)
BAF1297C-AE80-465B-9412-C9A75882B97F.jpeg

Supposed to be top of the line tires, we’ll see!
Crazy, what could explain the Shinko wearing so badly, did you run on a ring for hours ?
I am also very curious about the Pilot 5'S, they are kind of pricey, but if the result is there, let us know!

Bike
VStrom 650
:ukflag1:well, they're on.
Two black round Avon Spirit ST's on the BeaST (ST1100W), what do we know so far.
They're black,
They're round,
And it's no fun ridin 70 miles back home in persistent thunderous rain.
The one downside at the moment is that a slight wobble can be felt if both hands (why wud ya, but I do it so you don't have too) are lifted off the grips inbetween 30 to 50 mph. This has never been present before.
The tyres are far from bedded in and the release gloop didn't like the riding conditions which were horrible with a big H. No sign of weave at daft speeds.
I'll attach piccies soon, especially the strange gloopy release agent which I assume will bugger off as soon as they get warm and ridden accordingly.
Upt'North.

Bike
'06 ST1300A
I’ve got my eye on a set of these for later this summer. I ran them on my C10 and they were quite good.
Look forward to reading your “review” on these.

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
It's new tire time. Among other options, I'm considering the Avon Spirit ST. When I had Avon Cobras on my Gold Wing, I found them to be a decent tire (not the best overall, but a good value for the price), and their customer service was second to none when I had an issue with my first front tire. So my overall impression of them is positive.

Has anyone here used the Spirit ST on an ST1300? Any testimonies to mileage and overall performance?
I had good luck with Avons back in the day of carbureted VFR750s. If they make a tire for heavy sport touring bikes, i would expect good performance. No idea what you might expect out of them in terms of longevity.

Bike
VStrom 650
Avon update.
They are still black and round and thoroughly scrubbed now the rain stopped.
I loosened everything and torqued it back up front and rear with regards the low speed wobble.
Riding two up, tyres scrubbed and after the re-fit........no wobble.
Can't say if it is because of the checking of the fit, or the two up riding, or they're now scrubbed, but it's gone for now. They're turning in quicker than the T31's and are possibly a little more compliant/soft.
About 200 miles on them so far.
Upt'North.

Top Bottom