Avon Spirit ST - Anyone using them on an ST1300?

Bike
R1200rt
How do you spell relief? :doh1:

I was recently looking at this very Shinko product. How long did you run them before they look like that?

Keep us posted on the 5’s.
question should be low long did you ride with the tire pressure real low?

Bike
'06 ST1300A
Good feedback. IMHO, any new tire needs a wearing in period lasting between 100 and 300 kms, period to scrub off that layer of new tire layer to get to the good stuff that allows for tire adherents to do their job providing solid traction in all conditions.

bplandis

2006 ST1300
I had zero issue with my set. Miles got about 4500, so switched it up to try and get some more miles out of my current set.

Smooth/quite and sticky. No issues in the rain or with tar snakes. Mine wore off center to smooth on the left side, and almost smooth on the right. Had meat left in the middle suprisingly. I think I have a pic just before changing that I will try and dig up.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
You must have had something caught in your fender... that looks like external gouging and not tire wear.
I've been running the Verge 11's the last 3 sets on the bike and getting qbout 12,000 km. on the rear hauling a trailer and around 22,000 on the fronts.
I agree, that is not normal tire wear and something else was going on. I don't think that all of the blame belongs to the tire.
My last two sets have been the Shinkos. Just as good mileage as the PR4's I ran before and I have no complaints about their performance.

I tried them largely because of Jim's experience on them coming back from the BRG in late fall through rain and snow. After the escapades that he went through, I decided to try them because Michelin pricing has become obscene. They work just as well for my riding style and, at almost half the price, they work much better for my wallet.

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
After 2 rear tire blowouts at speed, one mine, and one Chris's.
Another ST1300 was totaled after a rear blowout in N.M. if I remember correctly.
We'll never run any Avon tire again.

I hope all of you Avon users have better luck than we did...
I followed that for a while and if memory serves, those were the first version of that tire and made in France. There was a second factory and those weren't a problem..... I think the problems went away with a subsequent version and they killed off the French plant.
I used to run Cobras on the Goldwing, thought them very good. I have a Spirit front here awaiting the next tire change, but obviously not on an ST.

I haven't heard great things about the Shinko Verge, however the Raven 009's were great for me, long and even wearing.

Top Bottom