Avon Spirits.

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
Each tour I have had different combinations of tires. Mostly the 31's tho.
So, I decided to try the avons!
Day one, they were scary. My bike felt like it wanted to do the death wobble or whatever. A friend suggested I inflate the front to 40 psi and that helped a ton. I'm now running them at 40/46. There is a tiny bit of cupping on the rear, But it's probably my fault, as I rode a few thousand without checking the pressure.
His theory was that the manufacturers use things to preserve the tire and those things have to burn out of the tire. Who knows?

Day three, these avons became my fave tire! six hours in the rain and not a wobble. somewhere during my tour I did 26 mi of gravel, including some scary off road crap, and the Avons went well. They tracked well crossing grated bridges. Seems everywhere I camped was a gravel road I had to ride.
These tires seem to turn better also. There were a few times they made me look better in the turns than I am!
9500 mi and they still have a ton of rubber left! I'm going to use these on the spring tour! mm.jpg0.jpg

Sharpes, Florida , formally, Nevada City, CA
Bike
GL1800, ST1300
STOC #
Each tour I have had different combinations of tires. Mostly the 31's tho.
So, I decided to try the avons!
Day one, they were scary. My bike felt like it wanted to do the death wobble or whatever. A friend suggested I inflate the front to 40 psi and that helped a ton. I'm now running them at 40/46. There is a tiny bit of cupping on the rear, But it's probably my fault, as I rode a few thousand without checking the pressure.
His theory was that the manufacturers use things to preserve the tire and those things have to burn out of the tire. Who knows?

Day three, these avons became my fave tire! six hours in the rain and not a wobble. somewhere during my tour I did 26 mi of gravel, including some scary off road crap, and the Avons went well. They tracked well crossing grated bridges. Seems everywhere I camped was a gravel road I had to ride.
These tires seem to turn better also. There were a few times they made me look better in the turns than I am!
9500 mi and they still have a ton of rubber left! I'm going to use these on the spring tour! mm.jpg0.jpg
I use Avon Cobras on my GW and get in the high teens for mileage. Avon's are definitely worth the price.

I'm on my second set of Spirits this year, having used the previous Storms for a decade. I like them, and the price beats the Michelin Pilot Roads. I usually get 12-13,000 miles on the rear, but always change out both as a pair. The fronts usually have 1-2000 left. I always run 42 psi in each. Now I'm hearing about the plant closing. Might have to go fulltime darkside...

Duporth

Site Supporter
Bike
2021 BMW R1250GS
I just fitted Pirelli Angels GT/GT2 as an experiment, my first set and I am liking them so far - 'always' Michelins in the past.

Top Bottom