Avon Storm 2 Ultra wear issue

Mikiver, out of curiosity, and understanding that the ST13 has combined braking, how much do you use the rear brake? Do you trail brake at all?

I read elsewhere that cupping on some rear's is attributed to trail braking (especially on cruisers).

Note that my wear experience on these tires includes virtually no braking. 95% of these miles were Interstate miles.

A friend had a set of PR2s wear extremely at the end of their lifespan. We were on a trip to california. The wear was characterised by a prominent ridge on the center (harder) compound, while the softer outside compound was actually shredding. Note that he also pulls a trailer (this was a BMW RT).

OP
OP
Mikiver
STOC #
Glen, I use the front brakes mainly, if at all, which links to the rear as you know.
I really do like the handling but I'm afraid these may not be the right match for the load I was carrying in terms of wear and longevity. It might be a bit unfair to base my findings on a "first look" while I was unusually heavy.
About 1175 lbs.
Spec GVW is 1118 I believe,
702 lbs wet. Add 2 people with ATGATT, a Honadline top box and a tank bag and it adds up.
Most times I'm at around 1100 2 up.

It sounds like some of the other riders have gotten better results than me.
I think I would too if I did not ride 2 up 80% of the time.

Mike

It could be that dual compound tires in general are more sensitive to irregular wear when you approach (or exceed) their maximum load rating. Tire inflation is obviously another important factor. I suspect that once a tire starts to go (starts to wear unevenly) there is no way of reversing the process.

I note that Avon advises maximum load (weight) on the Storm 2 Ultra's at 42 psi, so that's where I will continue to run them for the balance of their lifespan.

Bike
2004 st1300
So far I'm tickled to death with the II's in the twisties, but then I've only got 2000 miles on the rear and about 500 on the front. 42 psi when cold, gets to 47.5 on the front and 49.5 in the rear after a high speed run. No wobble or shake, no wear evident yet. should I increase the psi a bit? I thought 10 psi increase on a hot tire vs cold tire was the norm??

So far I'm tickled to death with the II's in the twisties, but then I've only got 2000 miles on the rear and about 500 on the front. 42 psi when cold, gets to 47.5 on the front and 49.5 in the rear after a high speed run. No wobble or shake, no wear evident yet. should I increase the psi a bit? I thought 10 psi increase on a hot tire vs cold tire was the norm??
I think that hot vs. cold pressures are completely within the domain of the engineers who designed the tires. In other words, typical delta P's for one tire design may be quite different from another, due to construction and sidewall flex, etc.

My opinion is that, molded right into the sidewall of these tires, is a maximum load "at 42 psi cold". I would take that as a maximum pressure, although others have reported that Avon allows +5% (but I have not seen that anywhere in their online documenation).

Given that there have been a couple of incidents of tread splitting with these tires (assuming that tread splitting may be related to overinflation or damage from accidental tread cutting) I'd be cautious of exceeding 42 psi. YMMV.

By the way, if you want the tire to heat up more and cause a larger delta P from cold to hot, I would think that you would want to DECREASE the pressure not increase it.

OP
OP
Mikiver
STOC #
Thanks Doxbike. I feel better about the pressure increase you see. My rear went to 51 psi, hot day and fully loaded. Pretty close.....
If I were you, I would leave the pressure at 42 and monitor the wear.
The tires are great in the twisties aren't they?

Mike

Two Brothers

Walking, Talking, and Smiling!
OK spoke with Sean at Avon today and told him of the little issue you guys where having.

Well to put it in a nutshell, I got no where. His explaintion was that the ST's go down the road leaning to the left. Now this is news to me and I didn't know how to take that.

I explained to him that I have an ST1300 and mine does not go down the road leaning to the left. I tried to breech the subject of the tires being dual compound and he said that did not have anything to do with it.

I also told him we were seeing this in other tires just not Storm2's. Nope they lean to the left.

Just some info. I'll talk to Michelin soon.

Well to put it in a nutshell, I got no where. His explaintion was that the ST's go down the road leaning to the left.
I think that Shaun is confusing the ST1300 with some BMW RTs. My ST13 certainly does NOT go down the road leaning to the left. I have seen no irregular tire wear on the Metzler products that I've used.

I did not find Shaun particularly knowledgeable about either ST1300's or the Storm 2 Ultra's when I corresponded with him a month ago.

Two Brothers

I think that Shaun is confusing the ST1300 with some BMW RTs. My ST13 certainly does NOT go down the road leaning to the left. I have seen no irregular tire wear on the Metzler products that I've used.

I did not find Shaun particularly knowledgeable about either ST1300's or the Storm 2 Ultra's when I corresponded with him a month ago.
Yep!!

Sounds like Sean is a bit of a tool.
I think Shaun's position on ST13's is summed up by his responses to me:

"Yeah if we state no Avon tyre recommended that means that we don?t offer any tyre for your application that could be several different reasons."

"I wasn?t trying to have a sales pitch it?s just that if it states no Avon Tyre fitment then we don?t offer anything."

Two Brothers

I think Shaun's position on ST13's is summed up by his responses to me:

"Yeah if we state no Avon tyre recommended that means that we don?t offer any tyre for your application that could be several different reasons."

"I wasn?t trying to have a sales pitch it?s just that if it states no Avon Tyre fitment then we don?t offer anything."
Yep we don't recommend the tire for that bike. So I can't help you.

Pepe'

Jabberwockey knowledgeable
Bike
2006 ST1300R
Avon Storm front has gone an impressive 8K and while the tread looks good, it has quite a howl which can be heard up at highway speeds. Not on center, but when leaning at any angle. Been that way for a while and I will stick with it until it is plumb worn out.

The Avon Storm rear went out pretty quick at 6k. I am running a PR2 on the rear. The tire combination is actually very good performance wise. Quick turn in and been great in the rain.

pretbek

Ŵΐļļ ŗĭδέ ∫ỗґ Ŧщịştịέş
Bike
Super Tenere
STOC #
Avon Storm ... has quite a howl which can be heard up at highway speeds. Not on center, but when leaning at any angle.

Yep, mine (Storm 1's) do the same on my Versys, noticable on on/off ramps (play time!), with only 4k miles on them. I can sure live with a howl with tires as nice as these.

I already have Storm Ultra 2's on order. I don't need them yet, but the $50 rebate offer runs out on August 15, so I put an order in with Tim at Two Brothers.

OP
OP
Mikiver
STOC #
Thanks Tim. I figured nothing would come of it. I suppose the Ultra 2's are just not up to 2 up riding loaded for travel. Too bad....

When the rear is worn out (which won't be long in my case!) I will try something else.

ST's lean left? What a crock of fecal matter!

Mike

Marshal_Mercer

Bumbleberry + Crumble = Yum!
Bike
Has new home
STOC #
<snip>
The 50 psi in the front seems excessive to me. What is the cold pressure?
With 42 PSIG cold, front and rear, at 75 degrees F, I routinely see 48 PSIG on the front, 58 PSIG on the rear at 85 degrees F air temp and 65 MPH. At 102 degrees F air temp, I saw 61 PSIG on the rear, last weekend.

The ST1300 is a BIG ol' girl.

Marshal

Top Bottom